NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No big and tall was round the corner

I need to pop over to The Keep soon so I'll check in a business directory from that period.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
High and mighty was on north street

Correct. And then it closed and reopened in Queens Road and then closed.

I remember men’s clothes shops like Rag Freak, Super Tramp (cranborne street) Peter Browne (north street) and my favourite, Taste in the old Churchill Square. There was also Review in Western Road.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I seem to remember The Savannah had a 'video bar' with a wall of loads of little teles showing that video (well, the ones that weren't on the blink)

Never went there....had left Brighton (and the UK) by then :(

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
May I ask the cognoscenti a question? What ever happened to Blues Jim?

He was regular support for punk bands at the Alhambra (oh, alright, the Piranhas) in the late 70s. I next saw him busking on George Street around 96 when me and beardy brother were on our way from the pub to the Goldstone. Polly Put the Kettle On. Classic.

Is he still around?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I remember the shop the OP is talking about, and he is right to mention Stunning Rags. But only as the ‘sister’ shop to the Queens Road store, SR was on the south side of Western Road if remember rightly, roughly opposite the current Top Shop. The Queens Road store had a one word name if I recall correctly and was managed at some point by an ex school chum called John Fabb.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I remember the shop the OP is talking about, and he is right to mention Stunning Rags. But only as the ‘sister’ shop to the Queens Road store, SR was on the south side of Western Road if remember rightly, roughly opposite the current Top Shop. The Queens Road store had a one word name if I recall correctly and was managed at some point by an ex school chum called John Fabb.

Like as per post #11 you mean?

Supadupahands

Mar 10, 2016
there used to be a martial arts shop downstairs in Churchill square where you could buy shurikens before the got banned and a computer game shop, can't remember the name of either of those...

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
there used to be a martial arts shop downstairs in Churchill square where you could buy shurikens before the got banned and a computer game shop, can't remember the name of either of those...

From memory:

Martial arts shop was called Battle Orders.

Can't immediately remember the computer games shop's name.

Colts was a clothing store in the same vicinity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here