Thread: I was there

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by daveinplzen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Da Nang evacuation and bricking it
    I was in Nam in 73.

Chippenam

Coat.
    I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill Archer, for what you done to The Seagulls.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

The ONLY Gay in Brighton El Presidente's Avatar

14 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Nomad View Post
      I lived just outside of Belfast when;

1) the three terrorists were put out of their misery by the SAS in Gibraltar,
      2) when Michael Stone (?) threw grenades at their funerals in West Belfast,
      3) when the two squaddies were beaten to death at the following funeral in the Falls Road.

I didn't see the two Belfast incidents thankfully, but was only living some 8-10 miles away.
      I lived just outside of Manchester when the Berlin Wall was dismantled.
      Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
      I lived just outside of Manchester when the Berlin Wall was dismantled.

0 Not allowed!
      Fortunately a hoax but I was in Millbank Tower during a bomb threat when Labour had the 1st floor. Rather than being evacuated, we were told to move to the Westminster side of the building as the lift shaft would protect us, apparently. Was also in Florida during the infamous hanging chads debacle in 2000. So no, not really.
      RICHARD SWIVELLER, a good-hearted, though somewhat queer young man
      The ONLY Gay in Brighton El Presidente's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      I was there outside the Courtlands Hotel in Hove when Ian Botham was told he’d been picked for the first time by England. He ran straight into Viv Richards’ arms shouting ‘I’m in, I’m in’ to which Sir Viv replied “It’s raining man, you’re ruining my threads’
      Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      On a happier note I was also at school in Dover when this started and saw most of the cars on their way to the cross channel ferry. Awesome experience for a young lad and how jealous was I.

Probably hard to believe these days but this was a massive adventure at the time, have a look at the cars that took part, some absolute classics along with well prepared run of the mill cars of the day

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com/l...y_marathon.htm

Got to love the old school British news reels

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpwrdv
      shame that DS21 never made it to the end and won
      such a beautiful car,would have been great to see it in some museum today

reading up on the driver Bianchi,had a feeling he'd be related to Jules
      he'd won Le Mans that same year and finished 3rd at the Monaco GP
      then sadly killed the following year testing at Le Mans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucien_Bianchi
      18th April 1981 Cyrstal Palace 0 Brighton 3 (Gregory2,Smith1)

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by bhafc99 View Post

By contrast, the furthest "removed" I've ever been from a major event was 9/11. I spent the entire day sailing on the Solent, and had absolutely no idea that it had happened, and that the entire world was in shock, until getting back into harbour late that evening.
      Yes, an interesting sub-thread.

On Boxing day 2004 we took our then 6 and 7 year olds for their first skiing holiday - to Bulgaria. We were there for a week and saw no newspapers, TV or internet (incredible how different things were just 15 years ago).

On the plane on the way back there was an announcement that the cabin crew were making a collection for 'all the victims of the tsunami'. One week after one of humankind's worst ever natural disasters and that was the first we had heard about it. Surreal and shocking, catching up with the news when we got home.

0 Not allowed!
      Grand Hotel Bombing we had been in a night club then decided to have a stroll with a few pals under the subway tunnel to the beach, we heard the bang probably made louder by the fact we were in the tunnel but bloody hell it was loud, funny thing was we just carried on walking to the beach and didn't even know what had actually happened until we came up steps by the west pier.
      RIP MUM XX

0 Not allowed!
      Travelling into work in Central London at the moment the 7/7 bombs went off.
      Just getting onto the escalator at Old street tube, the power went off and I had to walk up them.

A colleague was on the bus that had the roof blown off.
      He was in shock and phoned in to say there were some problems with travel and he would be in late.
      He eventually turned up at 17:15 and started logging on as if nothing had happened.
      He had also been working in the docklands when the IRA bomb went off. Retired off to live in Scotland shortly after.

Walking back home after work was weird, very few people were using the tubes or buses. everyone was just walking to the various mainline stations.
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by tip top View Post
      I was at Imola in '94 the weekend Senna and Ratzenberger lost their lives. At that time I was working for a team in one of the support races.
      A surreal weekend that affected me for a very long time.
      I was at Variante Bassa on the Friday watching practice when Barrichello had his huge accident. The noise was sickening. He was a lucky boy that day
      An I remember where I was moment. I was genuinely shocked, he seemed immortal at the time. Following so close to Rolandís death it was indeed totally surreal. Really affected me more than it should have, considering it was someone I had never met.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff