Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: I was there

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was in front of the Brandenburger Tor at the exact moment that West and East Germany became one country. I don't think I've seen so many drunk people in one place.

I was with some German friends who had escaped from the East in the 60s, it was a truly emotional moment for them.

Talking of Berlin, on another trip, I was watching the Berliner Ensemble when the play was invaded by protesters talking about asylum seekers' rights and looking for support for a big demo that week. OK, it's not globally significant, but it did make the front page of the papers the next day - I still have the cutting.

Closer to home, I was also on the Poll Tax march in Trafalgar Square just as it was kicking off and on the Lewisham demo against the National Front in 1977 - they were front page news.
    We have a winner! Can still remember watching that on Television and thinking this is serious history happening right now
    “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Nomad View Post
      I would imagine many of us have been part of a big story that happened in October 1987.
      Good reminder. What a night that was!
      “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      You ****. Have you not seen The Dead Zone?
      Possibly not, but maybe he has seen Rogue Male
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
      It's only them that aren't their targets that love the violent and the madmen
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLijS6Cstk

0 Not allowed!
      If I had gone to the 1976 Ideal Home exhibition 24 hours later I would have been exactly next to the bin that the IRA blew up.
      On a brighter note I was at the last game at the old Wembley (which was also Keegan’s Last game).

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      I heard the bomb go off at The Grand and saw the aftermath the next day. Doesn't mean I experienced what happened there. At all.
      Haha. That’s probably the closest thing for me. I lived just off Preston Circus at the time and when my dad rang me in the morning, he didn’t believe I hadn’t heard the fire engines all leaving.

I also slept through the “hurricane” and thought I was just late for work when I woke up and it was daylight already.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      I’ve visited Berlin once - the weekend the wall came down. That photo with the guy on top of the wall with a pickaxe? I saw that.
      Crikey, you witnessed one of THE iconic images of twentieth century, that’s going to be near impossible to beat. Well played Sir.
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I was in The Vortex, Wardour Street, the night Elvis died and Danny Baker came on stage and made a tit of himself (a story he has retold with bogus embellishment).

Pete Townshend on stage with The Clash at Brighton top rank

Johnny Thunders on stage with Generation X at the Nashville, North End Road

So.....no, not really momentous.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
      It's only them that aren't their targets that love the violent and the madmen
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLijS6Cstk

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed 'im hard' Bruce Lee View Post
      I was there when that flag was raised in Port Stanley.
      Blimey, now that is real history. Our last ever ‘colonial war’, that’s definitely one to tell your grandkids. There’s some astonishing eye witnesses on this thread already.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by portlock seagull View Post
      Crikey, you witnessed one of THE iconic images of twentieth century, that’s going to be near impossible to beat. Well played Sir.
      To be fair, I knew it at the time too. It’s the only time I’ve ever bunked off work - I was due to fly back on the Sunday and cancelled that flight and rearranged for the Thursday. On the Monday morning I called my boss and explained and she was completely fine with it.

Total coincidence too - my then partner and I had booked the trip about 4 months earlier.

Like many - I have a chuck of the wall; like fewer, I chipped the chunk off the wall personally.
      2A

1 Not allowed!
      I can't match many of the things already posted, but I did see GB win, and receive, a gold medal at the 2012 Olympics (Men's Team Sprint cycling).
      REMF Quiz Champion 2016