Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] I was there

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Only thing for me is seeing Andy Murray win Wimbledon for the first time. That’s about it...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Nice edit, add 2) and 3). 1) was the lead up.
You've already said that you weren't actually there for any of those incidents though.

I heard the bomb go off at The Grand and saw the aftermath the next day. Doesn't mean I experienced what happened there. At all.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I lived just outside of Belfast when;

1) the three terrorists were put out of their misery by the SAS in Gibraltar,
2) when Michael Stone (?) threw grenades at their funerals in West Belfast,
3) when the two squaddies were beaten to death at the following funeral in the Falls Road.

I didn't see the two Belfast incidents thankfully, but was only living some 8-10 miles away.

So....you watched the news.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I passed through Kings Cross Underground station about 6:30/7pm on 18 November 1987 – about an hour before a fireball ripped through it, killing 31 people. The start of the fire might well have already been smouldering while I was there. Probably the closest I've ever come to being 'part of history'.

By contrast, the furthest "removed" I've ever been from a major event was 9/11. I spent the entire day sailing on the Solent, and had absolutely no idea that it had happened, and that the entire world was in shock, until getting back into harbour late that evening.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The day that Princess Diana was flown back to RAF Northolt, I was there at work that day.
Such a surreal moment, very quiet.

Last edited:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Nice, Nirvana at Reading

The 1991 one right? I was there too. ****ing brilliant. It's all on youtube. Ropey quality but is a bit of a nostalgia fest.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’ve visited Berlin once - the weekend the wall came down. That photo with the guy on top of the wall with a pickaxe? I saw that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was going to collect my mother and brother from London City airport on the afternoon that the two terrorists beheaded a soldier outside a barracks. It wasn’t until I turned the radio on that I found the reason for sealed off roads and massive police and media presence was due to an “incident” when I was pretty close to the airport. From memory it took me over an hour to find a route to the airport and it was only later that I found out what had actually happened.

Plenty of WTF is this “incident” from me as I encountered closed road after closed road not realising what a horrific thing had happened just before I got there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On a happier note I was also at school in Dover when this started and saw most of the cars on their way to the cross channel ferry. Awesome experience for a young lad and how jealous was I.

Probably hard to believe these days but this was a massive adventure at the time, have a look at the cars that took part, some absolute classics along with well prepared run of the mill cars of the day

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com/london_sydney_marathon.htm

Got to love the old school British news reels

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpwrdv

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The day that Princess Diana was flown back to RAF Northolt, I was there at work that day.
Such a surreal moment, very quiet.

I was on a ship full of Germans the day she died I recall I was at the bar at the time when one of them came up to break the news he then purchased us both a drink and we toasted her memory, what followed was fantastic as German after German stepped forward to buy me a drink all I had to do was raise the glass look sad and have a great time while trying hard not to show it

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
On a lighter note - "Super Saturday" at the olympic stadium in 2012. Certainly meets the criteria of newsworthy.

Yes I was in the stadium for that as well. Incredible atmosphere and a genuine 'i can't believe this is happening' moment.

Funny thing is I remember being not particularly fussed when I won the tickets in the ballot as I wanted to get one of the better known track races and didn't realise at the time the significance of the 10,000 meters, Heptathlon and Long Jump!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I drovev along the A27 past Shoreham Airport a few minutes before the infamous air crash. I'm sure I'm not alone on here in that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here