Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] I was there

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There's a culture on here, always has been. One jumps in to flame a poster, another joins in, all of a sudden you have a farm of sheep delivering their bile. If no-one really likes me, as you so succinctly claim, that is fine. I guess I don't put myself out to be liked, but think about yourself and if it matters that much to you, see who may not like you either but just doesn't bother to try to belittle you. At best it is pretty childish, at worst it is insecurity. Please carry on.

Air pie and windy pudding.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I do have another 'near miss' back in April 1981. I was buying the 12" version of Cut a long story short by Spandau Ballet at Brixton underground about an hour or less before the riots kicked off. I was staying at a flat in the lockdown area but we were allowed out of the area at the police barriers when we produced proof of where we had come from.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I do have another 'near miss' back in April 1981. I was buying the 12" version of Cut a long story short by Spandau Ballet at Brixton underground about an hour or less before the riots kicked off. I was staying at a flat in the lockdown area but we were allowed out of the area at the police barriers when we produced proof of where we had come from.

#wasntthere.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was in Colchester last summer. Had I been there just 2,063 years before I would have been caught up in the Roman invasion of Britain :nono:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The Clamp and Sussex Nomad have both been banned from this thread.

Their six-and-two-threes bickering was derailing what is actually an interesting topic.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Don't seem to have anyone who was actually 'there' apart from the poor chap at the IRA shooting.

Maybe it should be a 'almost a near miss' or 'wasn't that near actually'.

I don't have one. My uncle was turning into Egremont Place in the 40s as a Jerry bomb dropped and had some shrapnel land very near to him. My Dad wasn't allowed to go to the Saturday Kemptown cinema once in the early 40s. He was fortunate as Jerry also bombed there that day.

My mate was on one of the transport vessels in San Carlos water and when a sky hawk came over the hills and went into a bomb run...it let go with his bombs and everyone hit the deck...a bomb landed on the deck next to where he was laying and bounced straight next to him and into the sea...his only injury was splinters from the deck!

If that would have gone off then hove wouldn’t have an councillor for many years! Or four kids wouldn’t be here on the earth!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I was at Live Aid 1985.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I was directly behind Disco Pete when he made his final appearance wearing the legendary white flame outfit. Had an unfortunately excellent view of the damage when he sharted himself and scuttled off only ever reappearing in the more undercracker incident friendly black flame outfit.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I was directly behind Disco Pete when he made his final appearance wearing the legendary white flame outfit. Had an unfortunately excellent view of the damage when he sharted himself and scuttled off only ever reappearing in the more undercracker incident friendly black flame outfit.

The winner !

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
What happened at the nirvana gig?

Cobain’s physical and mental health was already being discussed in the press at that time and so, I assume to parody the hype surrounding him, he came on stage at the start of the gig being pushed in a wheelchair wearing a white coat and wig. They played an incredibly incendiary headline set in front of 50k wet and sodden fans.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate

I stuck around St. Petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed the czar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain