[Misc] I was there

boik

shame that DS21 never made it to the end and won
such a beautiful car,would have been great to see it in some museum today

reading up on the driver Bianchi,had a feeling he'd be related to Jules
he'd won Le Mans that same year and finished 3rd at the Monaco GP
then sadly killed the following year testing at Le Mans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucien_Bianchi

The rally DS did have a lot of other success though, as did the later SM. http://http://www.citroenet.org.uk/sport/ds-rally-cars-01.html

I'm a bit of a DS nut having owned a couple for a long period of time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was there when that flag was raised in Port Stanley.

Don't seem to have anyone who was actually 'there' apart from the poor chap at the IRA shooting.

Maybe it should be a 'almost a near miss' or 'wasn't that near actually'.

I don't have one. My uncle was turning into Egremont Place in the 40s as a Jerry bomb dropped and had some shrapnel land very near to him. My Dad wasn't allowed to go to the Saturday Kemptown cinema once in the early 40s. He was fortunate as Jerry also bombed there that day.

Yes they were. You missed the above post.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I was at Live Aid 1985.

Me too

11750717_10207201256573547_7078186115491762075_n.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Macmillan’s funeral.

Had a clear shot at Thatcher but didn’t take it.

You would have got away with it after 1983 when the film came out surely.
Ah hold on though, had you been in a come for quite some years.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Travelling into work in Central London at the moment the 7/7 bombs went off.
Just getting onto the escalator at Old street tube, the power went off and I had to walk up them.

A colleague was on the bus that had the roof blown off.
He was in shock and phoned in to say there were some problems with travel and he would be in late.
He eventually turned up at 17:15 and started logging on as if nothing had happened.
He had also been working in the docklands when the IRA bomb went off. Retired off to live in Scotland shortly after.

Walking back home after work was weird, very few people were using the tubes or buses. everyone was just walking to the various mainline stations.

Booked on the TT Herald of free enterprise when she rolled over outside the port..
Was coming home from Germany to get my daughter christened and missed the ferry due to traffic delays.
Sailed past about an hour after it happened. Was on the missing list for a while as we were booked on the ferry. No mobile phones in them days to see the news or let anyone know we were OK.. imagine the panic the family were going through.

These two struck a chord with me.

I was in London when the bombs went off - going to a meeting in Parliament. Didn't have a mobile phone, and all the landline phones had been jammed by the security services - so couldn't get through to the missus, who was obviously a bit concerned. Parliament was probably the best place to be for the morning, as it was flooded with special police. And you're right, the afternoon getting back to Euston was weird - no buses, no tubes, streets packed with people walking.

We were also caught in an earthquake in Athens (it was our honeymoon - cue puns). And again, everyone at home knew about the earthquake, but it was many hours before we could phone home. And if it had been a day later, we would have left anyway, we wouldn't have known about it, and wouldn't have phoned home. Imagine the worry that would have caused.

I still don't have a mobile - but can see it's uses sometimes.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The other big band that I first saw before they became famous was 'Oasis' when they were the support for 'BMX Bandits' at Sheffield University in 1993. Pretty rough performance from what I can recall.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was in the same bikeshed at school when Dave H fingered Tracy S and the new geography teacher a young lady in her late 20’s walked straight past. She pretended she didn’t see anything and looked the other way.

Well I can’t think of anything more epic than that sorry.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Lots of near misses on this thread, so I don’t feel too bad adding mine, besides which if it hadn’t been a near miss I wouldn’t be typing this now!

December 19th 1978, some mates and I went out from Burgess Hill for an evening in Brighton. After a good night out we caught a train out of Brighton at 22.40, and took up our usual position in the last seats behind the drivers cab, so we could step straight off to the steps at B.Hill. We got as far as Preston Park where the train stopped and the lights went out. We sat for a while, before the lights came back on and we started moving again, only to almost immediately for the lights to go out and we stopped again!

We sat for what seemed like hours, in the gloom, when the guard eventually came through he said the power had been cut as someone had wandered onto the line at Brighton station. We sat, until we were told a diesel would be taking us back to Brighton to pick up a bus service!

At this point we were just a bunch of pissed up lads, getting a bit grumpy about the delay. Imagine how we felt when the bus took us past Patcham and the bottom of Waterhall, where the place was awash with flashing blue lights, police, fire brigade, ambulance, the whole lot. We still didn’t know what had happened and it was only next day that I found out that two trains had crashed at Sweet Hill. The power being cut at Brighton station was the only thing that stopped my up line train ploughing into the two crashed trains, and from our seats in the front of the train, I most likely wouldn’t be here today.

So yeh, a near miss, but boy am I glad!

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I was here in Tokyo when the earthquake struck March 11 2011 and it wasn't very pleasant for a good 2 or 3 months following.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Same here, Kurt attacked Grohls kit at the finale and ****ed his ribs up. Just before they started to get massive. below Chapterhouse on the bill!

Yes, Nevermind came out a month after I think and they were playing all these amazing new tracks from it. Blew me away.

I went to see them on the Nevermind tour a few months later and it was rubbish!

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
I drovev along the A27 past Shoreham Airport a few minutes before the infamous air crash. I'm sure I'm not alone on here in that.

My two daughters where the ones who had broken down just left from the turning coming from Lancing College. They had been stranded there two hours awaiting recovery. 2/3 mins after the AA chap towed them off the accident happened. :angel:

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
In 2004 I was honeymooning in Phuket, Thailand when the Tsunami hit our hotel. We were having breakfast at the time and watched it all unfold. Luckily for me it wasn't the morning before when I was learning to windsurf....others weren't so lucky.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My two daughters where the ones who had broken down just left from the turning coming from Lancing College. They had been stranded there two hours awaiting recovery. 2/3 mins after the AA chap towed them off the accident happened. :angel:

That post actually gave me a shiver

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
An I remember where I was moment. I was genuinely shocked, he seemed immortal at the time. Following so close to Roland’s death it was indeed totally surreal. Really affected me more than it should have, considering it was someone I had never met.

Was the first F1 race i ever watched (on TV).I remember Senna being pronounced dead and walking outside to the Garden and telling my mum Senna is dead. That affected me too. First time i'd really seen a young healthy sports man die. Tragic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here