Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: I was there

1 Not allowed!
    I was working on a Brighton to West Worthing service on the day the crash happened at Shoreham. We were at Southwick just as it came down.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      I was working behind the counter at McDonalds on exactly the same day that Jeremy Clarkson came in and ordered a Big Mac that contained four different fresh deposits of semen.
      Harder than a Rubik's Cube and cooler than a Strawberry Mivvi. Been keeping Palace's top boys in their place since 1972. Know what I mean?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You've already said that you weren't actually there for any of those incidents though.

I heard the bomb go off at The Grand and saw the aftermath the next day. Doesn't mean I experienced what happened there. At all.
      To be fair, I don't think anyone else had matched the requirements of the OP either (up to your post). General sporting events and music concerts don't really count.

Personally I can join in with 'nearly there'. IRA bomb went off at the end of my road in Ealing.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
      Yes, an interesting sub-thread.

On Boxing day 2004 we took our then 6 and 7 year olds for their first skiing holiday - to Bulgaria. We were there for a week and saw no newspapers, TV or internet (incredible how different things were just 15 years ago).

On the plane on the way back there was an announcement that the cabin crew were making a collection for 'all the victims of the tsunami'. One week after one of humankind's worst ever natural disasters and that was the first we had heard about it. Surreal and shocking, catching up with the news when we got home.
      When the London bombings happened I was staying with my Grandad while recovering from some time in hospital, we hadn't had the TV/radio on that morning and so had no idea what had happened.

My mum called to see how I was and said "have you heard about London?", which I took to refer to the news about London being awarded the 2012 Olympics (announced the day before) and so started to say how wonderful I thought it was and so on - she stopped me pretty quickly and explained what she actually meant.
      REMF Quiz Champion 2016

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed 'im hard' Bruce Lee View Post
      I was there when that flag was raised in Port Stanley.
      The Argentinian one?
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post
      Haha. That’s probably the closest thing for me. I lived just off Preston Circus at the time and when my dad rang me in the morning, he didn’t believe I hadn’t heard the fire engines all leaving.

I also slept through the “hurricane” and thought I was just late for work when I woke up and it was daylight already.
      Lol. I slept through the hurricane as well, aged 12. Despite the fact that the flat roof on our landing was ripped off and three massive trees across the road were felled.

Got up for school and my Mum said, "you're not going today, it's closed, have a look outside....". Absolute carnage.
      "I never mentioned horses!"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by SeagullinExile View Post
      Wasn’t asking you nob head. You stick to slating UK politicians
      No, I will stick to slating you, you sad *****tain. You think that having an image of someone with blood on their portrait as your avatar makes you a rebel. In reality you are a neo liberal **** with the balls of a mouse.
      Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by SeagullinExile View Post
      Wasn’t asking you nob head. You stick to slating UK politicians
      No, I will stick to slating you, you sad *****tain. You think that having an image of someone with blood on their portrait as your avatar makes you a rebel. In reality you are a neo liberal **** with the balls of a mouse.
      Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals
      Members

4 Not allowed!
      I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar when Phil Oakey walked in.

My Sister has a list of incidents she was close to, Paris Metro Bombing, Downing Street Mortar bombed, 7/7 bombings, Madrid Bombings, and when she lived in Amsterdam a Jumbo Jet crashed into the block of flats next to her block. It's quite suspicious actually.
      Posted by Kosh, 19/7/2016 - 14th - 11th this year, or I'll eat my big Ritchie Blackmore hat.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      Lol. I slept through the hurricane as well, aged 12. Despite the fact that the flat roof on our landing was ripped off and three massive trees across the road were felled.

Got up for school and my Mum said, "you're not going today, it's closed, have a look outside....". Absolute carnage.
      I slept through it as well and my Dad through came into my bedroom and woke me up and pretty much said the same thing your Mum did, and I remember before getting out of bed to look out of the window I pressed play on my ghetto blaster by my bed to listen to my A-ha cassette, but it didn't come on because there was also a power cut - It was only then when A-ha didn't come on that I realised the enormity of what must have occurred during the night.
      Each to his choice, and I rejoice the lot has fallen to me
      In a fair ground-in a fair ground -
      Yea, Sussex by the sea!