Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] I was there

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I drovev along the A27 past Shoreham Airport a few minutes before the infamous air crash. I'm sure I'm not alone on here in that.

Usually drive that route at that time, but decided to take the train that day, for no reason other than we fancied it. Chilling when we heard.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This half counts - I was at the Ageas Bowl the day the news broke that Philip Hughes had died. A very sombre atmosphere and a number of film crews at the stadium, as he had played for Hampshire, pictures all over the walls etc.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A case of I was almost there, I went into the station at Stockwell just before Jean Charles de Menezes.

The Victoria wasn't running very well, so I went for the Northern Line. Hearing a Victoria line coming on the opposite platform, I change my mind and got on that instead.

If I hadn't I would have been in the same carriage as him.

I'm still confused to this day that I didn't see anything. The next day both the people who ran the coffee shop and paper stall opposite asked me "what happened down there" ?

I got to know them both and they had seen me go through the barriers very soon before.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Booked on the TT Herald of free enterprise when she rolled over outside the port..
Was coming home from Germany to get my daughter christened and missed the ferry due to traffic delays.
Sailed past about an hour after it happened. Was on the missing list for a while as we were booked on the ferry. No mobile phones in them days to see the news or let anyone know we were OK.. imagine the panic the family were going through.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I was there the night that the late Dan Quisenberry got his only major league hit.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So plenty of posts on here suggesting they were close or should have been there, but weren't, and yet being a few miles from the attacks in West Belfast give the idiots on here a chance to argue and try to belittle.

Good and interesting stories on the whole by the way.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I was there when Darren Freeman became the first man on earth to score a goal this millennium. The scenes were unbelievable. It was a mix of disbelief and shock from everyone there. It seemed as if the whole world stopped turning just for a few minutes whilst we allowed the reality of Darren Freeman's achievements to sink in.

Life changing.
Absolutely THIS, and when he removed his shirt to reveal his undergarment with those immortal words emblazoned on it " Happy New Year " incredible scenes.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Don't seem to have anyone who was actually 'there' apart from the poor chap at the IRA shooting.

Maybe it should be a 'almost a near miss' or 'wasn't that near actually'.

I don't have one. My uncle was turning into Egremont Place in the 40s as a Jerry bomb dropped and had some shrapnel land very near to him. My Dad wasn't allowed to go to the Saturday Kemptown cinema once in the early 40s. He was fortunate as Jerry also bombed there that day.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So plenty of posts on here suggesting they were close or should have been there, but weren't, and yet being a few miles from the attacks in West Belfast give the idiots on here a chance to argue and try to belittle.

Good and interesting stories on the whole by the way.

I think your one got picked up on because nobody really likes you due to your aggression and willingness to “shout” at people.
But hey, as you said on this thread “it’s just one post, move on”.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think your one got picked up on because nobody really likes you due to your aggression and willingness to “shout” at people.
But hey, as you said on this thread “it’s just one post, move on”.

Unlike your very monosyllabic nature of course. Don't try calling someone out for what you do yourself. Very poor excuse for flaming another poster.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Whevs yeah.
Pfft.

There's a culture on here, always has been. One jumps in to flame a poster, another joins in, all of a sudden you have a farm of sheep delivering their bile. If no-one really likes me, as you so succinctly claim, that is fine. I guess I don't put myself out to be liked, but think about yourself and if it matters that much to you, see who may not like you either but just doesn't bother to try to belittle you. At best it is pretty childish, at worst it is insecurity. Please carry on.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
The ‘87 ‘Hurricane’. I was with living with my parents. We lived on top of a hill at Bishoptone. We lived in a bungalow and my bed room was in the roof. You could see the see the sea from my bedroom. I loved watching the storms from my window and did the same that evening. My parents were starting to get worried about the storm as it worsened. In later years we would joke as a family with the tale of my coming downstairs, white as a sheet as I said i’d felt the house move. It was a bad one.

I saw the infamous Nirvana gig when they headlined Reading (their last show in the UK). I also saw them on their first ever tour of the Uk/Europe when they played at the London School of Oriental and African Studies. What a band.

Finally as a little ‘un, I was at the Rolling Stones gig at Hyde Park in 1969. Brian Jones died a couple of days. I have no recollection of the gig (being only 2!) but apparently I enjoyed feeding the ducks in the Serpentine.

What happened at the nirvana gig?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here