Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Pox flight delays

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Hmmm.... now this has got me thinking.... with a bit of planning, decent weather forecasting, knowing which flights are going to be in demand in the future, and therefor over-booked, I reckon I could make quite a cosy living off airline compo. Buy loads of tickets. If for some strange reason the plane is scheduled to take off on time, then sell the ticket. Simple.:)

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Don't let the airline get away with pretending the issue falls within 'extraordinary circumstances'. It doesn't.

Lots of them will wrongly and deliberately cite 'extraordinary circumstances'.

I had to get my home insurance legal cover solicitor to send a Letter before Claim to an airline to get them to shell out, after my own LBC was met with the above excuse, even though I argued it was not true. I would have happily sued them but they ignored me in pre-action letters, then I realised I could get a free solicitors' letter sent.

Worth checking your insurance policies for free legal cover.

el punal

Sat currently at Edinburgh waiting for a flight to tegel (Berlin) that should’ve departed at 09.45 now been delayed until estimated 1635. I was on night shift last night and just got the missus to drop me off without a shower change of clothes or anything. So I’m totally knackered it’s my daughters birthday next week she’s gonna be 7 and has no idea that I’m coming. To top that off now they are issuing tornado warnings throughout so no guarantee the flight will be taking off at all so annoying it’s untrue and I’ve had a row with the missus it seems she thought I might be thinking clearly and rationally under the circumstances

So good nsc folk give me your worst and cheer me up

Just questioning your thread title here - but who are Pox Flight? Are they another piss-poor budget airline that have decided their name sums up their service? Taking it to another level I suppose you could have Chlamydi-Air, or, FlySTD that will take you destinations you’d never thought possible.

I’ll get my coat and depart, theng yew! :drink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't let the airline get away with pretending the issue falls within 'extraordinary circumstances'. It doesn't.

Lots of them will wrongly and deliberately cite 'extraordinary circumstances'.

I had to get my home insurance legal cover solicitor to send a Letter before Claim to an airline to get them to shell out, after my own LBC was met with the above excuse, even though I argued it was not true. I would have happily sued them but they ignored me in pre-action letters, then I realised I could get a free solicitors' letter sent.

Worth checking your insurance policies for free legal cover.

The law is reasonably straight forward I thought i.e. if the delay it outside of the airline’s control they will not pay. So things like weather, bird strikes, ATC restrictions are not covered. Which is fair enough.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Our levels of entitlement are incredible..

Here’s one for you. I witnessed a girl arguing with a hotel receptionist yesterday. The upshot was she booked a room for 3 people, but they were a group of 4. She conceded the emailed confirmation was for 3, but she’d hadnt previously checked it. Hotel said they didn’t have room for this extra person. But, even though she admitted she screwed up, she insisted the hotel fix the issue. The hotel explained they simply didn’t have the space etc etc. At one point she said “For 400 euros I expect you to fix my issue.” with a lot of emphasis on expect. The hotel were still holding firm when I left.

If I was her (and her age), I’d have gone oooops....and smuggled the extra person in.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Just questioning your thread title here - but who are Pox Flight? Are they another piss-poor budget airline that have decided their name sums up their service? Taking it to another level I suppose you could have Chlamydi-Air, or, FlySTD that will take you destinations you’d never thought possible.

I’ll get my coat and depart, theng yew! :drink:

:bowdown: Ha Ha

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sat currently at Edinburgh waiting for a flight to tegel (Berlin) that should’ve departed at 09.45 now been delayed until estimated 1635. I was on night shift last night and just got the missus to drop me off without a shower change of clothes or anything. So I’m totally knackered it’s my daughters birthday next week she’s gonna be 7 and has no idea that I’m coming. To top that off now they are issuing tornado warnings throughout so no guarantee the flight will be taking off at all so annoying it’s untrue and I’ve had a row with the missus it seems she thought I might be thinking clearly and rationally under the circumstances

So good nsc folk give me your worst and cheer me up

First world problems. Grow a pair. Nurses are using foodbanks.
As for the no sleep after night shift, I do sympathise there. No point trying to explain it to people who don’t know.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
Back in 2011 I was delayed at Charlotte when a vehicle collided with our plane on the runway. US Airways put us up at a hotel overnight and I was able to get a flight the next day as I didn't wait for my baggage before trying to rebook. Others in the hotel had to wait 3 days for a flight. There was no compensation but Portsmouth FC were booked on the same flight and to see Steve Cotterill wandering round the hotel with a face like thunder made it worthwhile. I got grief when I got home as I dumped my bag and left again as I attended the walk from the Goldstone to the Amex prior to the Spurs friendly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really?

That £13.50 flight to Fuerteventura on a brand spanking new Airbus 320, that left on the dot and arrived 15 minutes early, I've just had with them would suggest not...

One of the more subtle “look at me, I’m on holiday” posts :smile:

Wait until the return before you sing their praises too highly, though :wink:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
One of the more subtle “look at me, I’m on holiday” posts :smile:

Wait until the return before you sing their praises too highly, though :wink:

Not at all...I'm sitting at home in Brighton 'enjoying' the look how much compo i got posts...

Just always had good experiences with Easy Jet, nothing more than that

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
The law is reasonably straight forward I thought i.e. if the delay it outside of the airline’s control they will not pay. So things like weather, bird strikes, ATC restrictions are not covered. Which is fair enough.
Agreed, fair enough.

But this was (now defunct) Monarch and, like RyanAir, they argue the toss until sued, knowing that their position is based on a lie, hoping people who are not very robust with complaining will give up. Our case was clearly covered by the law, but they waited till they got a solicitor's version of a Letter before Claim that said exactly the same as mine had said, 2 months earlier.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Last month, waiting at Las Vegas Maccaran airport to fly home at 7.30pm. At 7, Virgin announce a technical problem with the plane so flight is cancelled (a part is being flown in overnight so the flight will now be at 5.30pm the next day.
They took us to The Encore, beautiful hotel, room on the 62nd floor with magnificent views, $130 to spend. $25 for food when we returned to the airport the next day, we fly home on the plane that has arrived from London rather than the previously faulty one.
Have since received 12500 virgin points and £529 compensation as well as a box of roses as we left the plane.
Virgin Atlantic. I love 'em.
Strewth, no wonder they charge so much to ride on their ruddy trains!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Last month, waiting at Las Vegas Maccaran airport to fly home at 7.30pm. At 7, Virgin announce a technical problem with the plane so flight is cancelled (a part is being flown in overnight so the flight will now be at 5.30pm the next day.
They took us to The Encore, beautiful hotel, room on the 62nd floor with magnificent views, $130 to spend. $25 for food when we returned to the airport the next day, we fly home on the plane that has arrived from London rather than the previously faulty one.
Have since received 12500 virgin points and £529 compensation as well as a box of roses as we left the plane.
Virgin Atlantic. I love 'em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the very early days of VA (definitely in the first year), I flew to NYC return - delayed by a couple of hours both ways.

The next day I was in the office and my PA patched through a call from VA:

“What do they want?”
“Dunno; but he says he’s Richard Branson”.

It was too...

“Sorry for the delays... yadda yadda... you’ll find something at home for you and your wife...”

Yep - 2 upper class return tickets to NYC - valid for any flight in next 2 years; 4 dozen roses.

That’s how you do it. Payback? Here I am decades later, still telling the story.

Another example of brilliant customer service:

I was staying at the Four Seasons in Vancouver (Seattle?), and had to change my plans at v short notice and get to Singapore (HK?). I go to the front desk and ask them to book me a room in Singapore. Get a flight and a taxi to the hotel.

I walk up to a check-in clerk who, before I say anything, looks up, smiles, and says “Good evening, Mr G1976, how was your flight from Vancouver?”

Excellent customer service is so easy to achieve if you have the drive from the top to make it happen, the systems, and recruit only those people who buy into the ethos. Not so simple then - but so very powerful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here