Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sussex day tomorrow

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Some of the WW should know, ask Mike Green, a local sailor as well. He's the loudest one!

Something I was wondering yesterday - are there any decent modern folk songs about Sussex?

This weekend I've been at the "Falmouth International Sea Shanty Festival" down here in Cornwall. It's basically a pub crawl, with dozens of groups singing, and Fishermens Friends probably aren't in my top five. Plenty of traditional shanties, and not all about drunken sailors. But there's also a rich seam of modern songs about Cornwall and the local pride in the heritage and culture, even comparing the granite cliffs to our chalk ones.

I couldn't think of anything similar, even of any Sussex shanties. The brilliant Wellington Wailers (with their Martlets flag) are here again from Shoreham, so I shall try to ask them today.

Any ideas?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Something I was wondering yesterday - are there any decent modern folk songs about Sussex?

This weekend I've been at the "Falmouth International Sea Shanty Festival" down here in Cornwall. It's basically a pub crawl, with dozens of groups singing, and Fishermens Friends probably aren't in my top five. Plenty of traditional shanties, and not all about drunken sailors. But there's also a rich seam of modern songs about Cornwall and the local pride in the heritage and culture, even comparing the granite cliffs to our chalk ones.

I couldn't think of anything similar, even of any Sussex shanties. The brilliant Wellington Wailers (with their Martlets flag) are here again from Shoreham, so I shall try to ask them today.

Any ideas?

Mary Stanford Rye RNLB
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2LUMxinFP-o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x5PiW3fn6uQ

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Some of the WW should know, ask Mike Green, a local sailor as well. He's the loudest one!

Still waiting for some of them to turn up! But asked two of them, but they didn't know any. They did know it was Sussex Day, though.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NXFaLDp-fWg

Any ideas?

Mum also used to make the pudding with rabbit instead of bacon. I can also heartily recommend drip pudding when roasting lamb. I mean what is not to like about a suet pudding roasted in dripping?!

Is it Vegan ? :)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
You couldn't have a town called Brighton in the USA without it being in the County of Sussex could you?

nj.JPG

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Caught up with this last night, thanks. Didn't know the story, but have been reading about the tragedy - worse than the Penlee disaster. As this weekend's shanty festival was in aid of the RNLI, it would have been great to hear this performed. :thumbsup:

Still remembered in the area as all local families.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Regarding Sussex flag - have been a little confused on its origins in terms of colour - am I right in saying::

The Blue flag is the Sussex Flag but only adopted around 2010/2011 ??

The Red flag is the East Sussex flag which is the one most often to be seen flying over here in the East

West Sussex generally use the blue variant but a variant which I have not seen of blue with a yellow band across the top??

Many years ago in my teens I am sure the only Sussex flags I saw were the red variant

Any local historians out there define what is correct??

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Regarding Sussex flag - have been a little confused on its origins in terms of colour - am I right in saying::

The Blue flag is the Sussex Flag but only adopted around 2010/2011 ??

The Red flag is the East Sussex flag which is the one most often to be seen flying over here in the East

West Sussex generally use the blue variant but a variant which I have not seen of blue with a yellow band across the top??

Many years ago in my teens I am sure the only Sussex flags I saw were the red variant

Any local historians out there define what is correct??

This may help...

https://britishcountyflags.com/2013/04/15/sussex-flag/

Note the banner on display here:

posters2.png

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here