Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bruce Springsteen

Mar 24, 2011
I bought this yesterday and am saving it for an evening with a whisky.

I was never a massive fan of Springsteen until I saw him do the Super Bowl show a few years back. Even then, he only changed my opinion from 'Meh' until 'Pretty Good'.

Then a member of the family was chatting to me and had seen him live. He recommended I go, so I go tickets for Cardiff.

He was immense. Probably the best act live that I've seen. The sheer energy and joy he puts into shows and the fact that he just wants to entertain the crowd carries everything before him. As a result I started exploring his back catalogue in detail.

Around the same time, Billy Bragg was interviewed by the BBC and was talking about unsung protest singers. Bragg was singing the praises of Springsteen and many of his little known tracks. Again, I started to listen to him differently, and discovered the heart of the guy and his values.

I think for people like me, so much Springsteen marketing of the 80s positioned him as just another razzmatazz American rock singer. He is so much more. An artist I discovered late, once I'd put my prejudices to one side.

Go and see him! (except you can't as he won't tour again, but I hope I'm wrong.)

He has said he's going to be recording with the E Street Band in the Autumn and touring in 2020.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I went to both of the Brighton Centre May 1981 concerts. I've seen hundreds of gigs over the past 49 years and with the possible exception of 3 Jackson Browne "I'm alive' tour gigs at The Royal Albert Hall, the Springsteen gigs were the best I've ever seen. I wont be buying the latest album. It simply wont get played. I invariably end up playing 'Magic', or 'The rising'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well Fathers Day has come and gone and the album duly arrived with thanks to Earle Jr. I've just listened all the way through in one hit and it's a lovely piece of work. Something of a cinematic feel to it in the same way as Glen Campbell with the guitar tones and orchestral touches to just add enough colour to make the songs interesting. I really liked it and oddly some of the vocal stylings remind me of a band from possibly the 90s, but I can't put my finger on which one. Hopefully someone will recognise the reference and let me know.

You are not alone, the vocals on a few tracks do sound in the same style as another singer, but I can’t remember who either. Not much help I know!

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Makes me wonder if you were at the Hard Rock Calling concert in 2013 when he played the whole thing live?

If you haven't already seen it, Bruce has made the video of that concert available to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Born In The USA.

https://springsteen.lnk.to/BITUSA35

I have downloaded each song and made it into one continuous video. Worth doing.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I really liked it and oddly some of the vocal stylings remind me of a band from possibly the 90s, but I can't put my finger on which one. Hopefully someone will recognise the reference and let me know.

Sounds a lot like Jimmy Nail to me.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Spooky. I was watching a few YouTube videos of Bruce on my desktop computer. I went in the kitchen to make a coffee and asked Alexa to play some nice music. She kicked off with Bruce. Who says we are not being monitored 24/7.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sounds a lot like Jimmy Nail to me.

More like the singer from Cupid’s Inspiration imo but still wondering who else he sounds like on this album

AmexGold

Banned
Apr 22, 2014
I bought this yesterday and am saving it for an evening with a whisky.

I was never a massive fan of Springsteen until I saw him do the Super Bowl show a few years back. Even then, he only changed my opinion from 'Meh' until 'Pretty Good'.

Then a member of the family was chatting to me and had seen him live. He recommended I go, so I go tickets for Cardiff.

He was immense. Probably the best act live that I've seen. The sheer energy and joy he puts into shows and the fact that he just wants to entertain the crowd carries everything before him. As a result I started exploring his back catalogue in detail.

Around the same time, Billy Bragg was interviewed by the BBC and was talking about unsung protest singers. Bragg was singing the praises of Springsteen and many of his little known tracks. Again, I started to listen to him differently, and discovered the heart of the guy and his values.

I think for people like me, so much Springsteen marketing of the 80s positioned him as just another razzmatazz American rock singer. He is so much more. An artist I discovered late, once I'd put my prejudices to one side.

Go and see him! (except you can't as he won't tour again, but I hope I'm wrong.)

Nailed it mate. I was dragged along to Villa Park in 1987, hadn't been much of a fan but thought Born in the USA was OK. I've been to see him as much as possible since and worked backwards through the catalogue while enjoying the new stuff. Looking forward to hearing this.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Tunnel of Love tour, really underated album and great live show, I was at Villa Park for that too. Think it was 88 though

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Guilty admission, i’m a proper Springsteen geek. First saw him in 75 (and saw him in the park when he repeated opening a gig with Thunder Road) and have now seem him 49 times. :D

Banking on a world tour next year, want my 50th to be at Barcelona. I’ve never managed to see him there so far.

Love the new album, some great characters in there. Beautifully produced.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I was never a big fan of Springsteen until I saw him live. He brings the songs to life when he is singing them.

The Devils and Dust gig at the Royal Albert Hall (2005) is up there with the best gigs I have been to. His vocal range and ability is stunning, if not the best. .

Last time I saw him was in the amazing Circus Maximus (Rome) in 2016. On a very hot and sunny evening/night he played for over 4 hours - looking at the set list 34 songs. The solo acoustic version of The Ghost of Tom Joad was one of the best songs I have seen performed live ever.

I have not heard the new CD yet, looking forward to it.
Was at that Rome gig - was very special. The start with the symphony orchestra was great and it just kept getting better. And what a venue!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Well Fathers Day has come and gone and the album duly arrived with thanks to Earle Jr. I've just listened all the way through in one hit and it's a lovely piece of work. Something of a cinematic feel to it in the same way as Glen Campbell with the guitar tones and orchestral touches to just add enough colour to make the songs interesting. I really liked it and oddly some of the vocal stylings remind me of a band from possibly the 90s, but I can't put my finger on which one. Hopefully someone will recognise the reference and let me know.

Ry Cooder?

Reckon Norman means Earls Court rather than Wembley......

New album? From early listens it has some very strong tracks. No ‘Jungleland’ or ‘Incident on 57th Street’, but this songs were unique.

Looking forward to a tour in 2020
Honoured to be your 3rd post and jogging my memory re venue ��

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Live he is at the top of the pile.On record these 3,Born To Run,Darkness and the River stand as his great works since then he can be hit and miss.As a fan how do others answer the great Springsteen fraud comment that his detractors always throw up?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Live he is at the top of the pile.On record these 3,Born To Run,Darkness and the River stand as his great works since then he can be hit and miss.As a fan how do others answer the great Springsteen fraud comment that his detractors always throw up?

What is this fraud comment of which you speak?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
His detractors say he has built a career on a mythology of the blue collar worker."I work five days a week,lifting crates down at the dock" While he has never in his own words ever done a days work in his life.

He fully admits / claims that himself in the Springsteen on Broadway show. It's "his father's voice".

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
He fully admits / claims that himself in the Springsteen on Broadway show. It's "his father's voice".

Yeah but that raises more questions bearing in mind his relationship with his father.A friend of mine who knows I like Springsteen just text me saying Bruce makes lifting crates sound noble when its really ucking hard graft.He is firmly in the fraud camp.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yeah but that raises more questions bearing in mind his relationship with his father.A friend of mine who knows I like Springsteen just text me saying Bruce makes lifting crates sound noble when its really ucking hard graft.He is firmly in the fraud camp.

Yes, that's the point - it is really ucking hard graft. Then I respectfully suggest your friend watches Springsteen on Broadway on Netflix.

From an alternative point of view, why do people assume (and then get upset at their assumption) that songwriters are claiming their songs are "fact", whereas books are accepted as "fiction"? I imagine there's a fair crossover in both genres.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here