Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bruce Springsteen

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whilst appreciating just how good he is, I have never been a massive fan, for some reason.

However I stumbled across his latest album - Western Stars and thought I’d have a listen expecting to rush through the tracks and file under “yeah, very good but same old and not for me”

It is so different to anything I’ve heard from him before, especially the track below which is very schmaltzy and almost cheesy, but I bloody love this album

What think you long time Springsteen fans?

I think it’s the Country influence and the orchestration that got me :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbDKBcPsmoQ

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
My copy arrived yesterday, but frustrating I'm out at a music festival all weekend, so no chance to hear it. Getting good reviews, though.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Whilst appreciating just how good he is, I have never been a massive fan, for some reason.

However I stumbled across his latest album - Western Stars and thought I’d have a listen expecting to rush through the tracks and file under “yeah, very good but same old and not for me”

It is so different to anything I’ve heard from him before, especially the track below which is very schmaltzy and almost cheesy, but I bloody love this album

I think it’s the Country influence and the orchestration that got me [emoji2]

Very much in your camp. Just listened to it. and instantly reminded me of Scott 4.

I will need to investigate further

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, I’m a bit like that already thinking it won’t be very good, how can he better BTR, etc

Very very different so yes I can see long term Springsteen fans being OUTRAGED which is one of the reasons I posted :smile:

It was his shoutiness that put me off most of his previous stuff, although I totally get why others loved it.

But at least give it a listen before you decide!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I love Springsteen, but am struggling to pluck up the enthusiasm to buy this one.

From what I’ve heard so far it’s very similar to a solo album he did maybe 10 or 11 years ago which I found very luke warm.
But I’m a fan, Darkness On The Edge of Town being in my top five albums of all time, every track a banger.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Played it in the car yesterday whilst driving so didnt pay complete attention and to be honest, I wasnt blown away with 1st listen.
But, as with Nebraska and Tom Joad, moody and dark, and they both grew on me.
But I think, like those two, the more you hear it, the more you hear the story and the words and it grows on you.
His catalogue is so massive and he has covered virtually every genre. But with the years advancing, anything he does solo will be written and recorded
to suit his vocal capabilities. Put him back with the E.St band and He will blow you away again.
I seen Bruce over 35 times live and am a massive fan so i look forward to sitting there with the cans on, volume up loud and really listen to it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
From what I’ve heard so far it’s very similar to a solo album he did maybe 10 or 11 years ago which I found very luke warm.
But I’m a fan, Darkness On The Edge of Town being in my top five albums of all time, every track a banger.

I bought that on vinyl at the time and was a tad disappointed. For me it is still BTR. Absolutely majestic record.

I wouldn't give the new one even a second of my time, I'm afraid. If I want dad-rock I'll listen to Mark Seymour. :lolol:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I love The Boss, but on first listen this isn't quite doing it for me.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I think it’s the Country influence and the orchestration that got me :smile:

The track you are referring to is not coming up on ye old iPad...which one is it

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
:lolol:

I just knew the old school Springsteen fans would be turning their noses up at this album :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The track you are referring to is not coming up on ye old iPad...which one is it

It’s a lush orchestrated song called There Goes My Miracle in case I haven’t been whooshed :rolleyes:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Played it in the car yesterday whilst driving so didnt pay complete attention and to be honest, I wasnt blown away with 1st listen.
But, as with Nebraska and Tom Joad, moody and dark, and they both grew on me.
But I think, like those two, the more you hear it, the more you hear the story and the words and it grows on you.
His catalogue is so massive and he has covered virtually every genre. But with the years advancing, anything he does solo will be written and recorded
to suit his vocal capabilities. Put him back with the E.St band and He will blow you away again.
I seen Bruce over 35 times live and am a massive fan so i look forward to sitting there with the cans on, volume up loud and really listen to it.

I’ve been to hundreds and hundreds of gigs over the years - all the top bands from the past, major festivals, intimate small venues - all music genres, and seen some amazing atmospheres and music.

But I can honestly say that the three hours and 40 minutes of his Wembley gig 2016, was the best gig I have ever attended, ever, anywhere.
Considering he was nearly 68, and just didn’t stop in that time, blew me away.

I didn’t think we would see him tour again - but maybe we’ll be lucky. This album could be interesting.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I am a huge Springsteen fan - I prefer the bombastic no holds barred rock that he and the E Street Band produce on stage and I approached this with interest and a certain amount of trepidation as I knew it was supposed to be radically different. After a few listens I have to say that I do really like it. It's quite a "downer" album rather like "Nebraska" or "Tom Joad" with the instrumentation being more like that on "Magic".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here