Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you watching and enjoying the Women’s World Cup?

Are you watching the Women’s World Cup?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So how many NSCers are watching?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I voted 'other' because I would probably watch it in the unlikely event that it was going on in my back garden.... but not on TV.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not watch any of it yet, but probably will catch a game here and there. Just seems a shame that I'm hearing lots about tickets sales, viewers, need more equality etc, but very little selling me the product, and telling me what games are coming up.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I’m currently in Australia, and am tempted to start watching, based purely on the newspaper headline I saw over here today following Australia’s victory over Brazil last night. No word of a lie, it said:

SUCK ON THAT ONE! Matilda’s issue bullish retort to critics with comeback win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Other. I’m not watching it. I’m not anti-women’s football, I’m simply not interested in it.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Loving it , the Australia v Brazil game was excellent entertainment , in technical ability terms the women's game has dramatically improved and with the proper investment will no doubt continue to get even better , watched about 8 of the games so far and the one thing iv'e noticed the most is the lack of diving and trying to con the ref , also when fouled there's not a 3 minute wait for the game to restart like the mens game because some bloke has had his alice band tugged out of place , look there are obvious differences in the mens and womens games entertainment wise and i doubt womens football will ever attract the sort of crowds the mens game does , but it is growing in it's popularity and this world cup will see a surge of youngsters getting themselves involved in football , China in a ultra tough group look by far the fittest team iv'e seen , love it or hate it , you can't deny it is slowly evolving into a highly entertaining spectator sport .

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Watched highlights and read match reports but that's it. I'm finding the rhetoric around it tedious and condescending. If men don't watch it, they're sexist and if men are watching it apparently we're belittling the quality.

As another NSCer stated, they're not selling the product but bemoaning the lack of ticket sales and pay disparity. However, ignoring that pay is linked to how lucrative it is, so if they were selling Women's football better then surely they'd see an uplift in sales and alas, the pay would increase to reflect the fact these players are bringing in a larger audience.

That said, I really couldn't watch a full match. I find the speed of it too slow and they overall quality poor. Having watched a few BHAFC women's matches, it astonishes me that they still pull away from a block and that there's a clear lack of decision making that is apparent when comparing to Men's football. An example is when a player goes into a challenge half-committed and the ball bounces off them. There's a sudden lull and both players then realise the ball is open for posession. You don't see this often in Men's football.

Loving it , the Australia v Brazil game was excellent entertainment , in technical ability terms the women's game has dramatically improved and with the proper investment will no doubt continue to get even better , watched about 8 of the games so far and the one thing iv'e noticed the most is the lack of diving and trying to con the ref , also when fouled there's not a 3 minute wait for the game to restart like the mens game because some bloke has had his alice band tugged out of place , look there are obvious differences in the mens and womens games entertainment wise and i doubt womens football will ever attract the sort of crowds the mens game does , but it is growing in it's popularity and this world cup will see a surge of youngsters getting themselves involved in football , China in a ultra tough group look by far the fittest team iv'e seen , love it or hate it , you can't deny it is slowly evolving into a highly entertaining spectator sport .

It has potential, it's whether the investment begins to flow more fluidly than haphazardly like it has done over the past 5 years.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Ive tried to watch it, but have yet to watch a full match. It still doesnt seem right to me.
If they start taking their shirts off when scoring, It might be of more interest, but...dont know really why it is, but i just cant watch it for long.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm watching highlights and planning on watching the England game tonight. I wanted our opener against Scotland.

What I'm enjoying is how different it is. It's a little slower and so with time on their hands, I'm enjoying the passing play. Also, the pitch and goals feel bigger - that could just be down to simple biology i.e. female players are that little bit smaller. Therefore we're seeing more space, which I am enjoying.

I've seen some great goals and some howlers. Some great nutmegs by Brazil and the Cruyff turn on display as well - so technically, it's good to watch.

It's the same sport, but a different game, so while I'm dipping in and out, I am finding it entertaining. Stands on its own two feet.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Liked Brazil’s second goal. Didn’t watch the second half......have to get SOME work done, but watched the highlights this morning in an idle moment.
Sometimes the quality is quite low, though the matches are sometimes good.

Saw the US of A pulverise Thailand. Ref should have stopped it!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
So how many NSCers are watching?

Do you know I really am? Quite surprised myself actually as before the competition kicked off, I wouldn't have crossed the road to watch it as the saying goes.. Important to realise though that it isn't even nearly the same as the mens version, it's faster, less predictable, not so much contact, and there is a whole lot of skill on display. Taken in a few games now and really enjoying it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we make the final I’ll be going Glory Hunter and watching. My biggest problem is a woman, my wife. She is very good about me watching Albion games but when I jokingly mentioned watching the Women’s world cup for the next few weeks...well if looks could kill :smile:

If we make the final and it clashes with Wimbledon I’m fecked

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh goody, another thread :lolol:

I'll let you off Icy as you've added a poll option that covers me exactly. I'm dipping in and out. Watched most of the England game and a lot of last night's game. It's not a "must watch" by any means but I am interested and hope England win it. I think my other views are more than covered on the other threads :thumbsup:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Absolutely not. I won't join in with the bashing of women's football but I won't be going within 100 miles of it.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Wouldn't say 'loving it', but yeah, it's good. I appreciate it doesn't appeal to men who like to see the ball belted over long distances, but if you appreciate skilful football then it's very good.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm a dipper. Not avidly watching, but keeping half an eye on it.

Its something to have on in the background innit. I'll probably watch most of the England game tonight.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here