Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you watching and enjoying the Women’s World Cup?

Are you watching the Women’s World Cup?

• Total voters

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
What a joke once again. Hit at speed no hope of getting out of way. For those that say this rule eliminates doubt I would say nearly impossible to move up or down without moving arms that are needed for balance. This rule must change otherwise Premier games will become a farce. Who is going to be first side that sends defenders out with arms strapped to side.

Sorry but I’ve just watched that, it’s a stonewall pen, the Japan player had both arms outstretched like a bloody goalkeeper closing down the ball! If the keeper had done that you would say ‘good save’. That is a penalty in the old rules let alone the new, and the ref gave it straight away - no VAR.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This really is a case of the public getting what the public wanted , getting it and now realising it's shyte get rid of it :lolol:

More accurately, it's the public getting what the media, pundits and FIFA told us that's what the public wants, even though they didn't.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This really is a case of the public getting what the public wanted , getting it and now realising it's shyte get rid of it :lolol:

Not sure about that – isn't this one of the rule changes, as opposed to VAR? People wanted something that ruled out any sense of doubt in debatable decisions (offsides, goalline technology, missed fouls, etc) but, unless I'm mistaken, that penalty incident last night wouldn't have been an offence last season, would it? Another new rule I saw last night was the player going off in a substitution had to go to the nearest touchline, not back to the bench. That's nothing to do with VAR either...

Anyway, harsh IMO on the Japanese players, but they DID have plenty of chances to settle it in the second half :shrug:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not sure about that – isn't this one of the rule changes, as opposed to VAR? People wanted something that ruled out any sense of doubt in debatable decisions (offsides, goalline technology, missed fouls, etc) but, unless I'm mistaken, that penalty incident last night wouldn't have been an offence last season, would it? Another new rule I saw last night was the player going off in a substitution had to go to the nearest touchline, not back to the bench. That's nothing to do with VAR either...

Anyway, harsh IMO on the Japanese players, but they DID have plenty of chances to settle it in the second half :shrug:

It’s a rule change on the back of VAR

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales

DXPjuFwWsAAg5Ys.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd love to watch more games.

Even though the tournament is being held here they're only showing the French matches on terrestrial telly, I'm hoping once the quarters and semis start that there'll be more coverage.

Really ? Thats unreal. They're actually hosting a World Cup, but only bothering to show the France games on terrestrial. Blimey.

I've heard reporters over there saying that in a lot of the host cities, you'd barely know that a World Cup is going on. No fanparks, no posters around town. Sounds like the organisers have done a pretty ropey job in promoting it, and a lot of the attendances would bear that out, despite prices being decent (adult tickets from €9). If it was being held over here, it'd be hyped to the heavens.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
appreciate a rule change and not VAR but this must change back. A farce if penalty is given just for hitting an arm. They have already gone back on goal keepers movement and not booking tnem so common sense can prevail

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I never used to watch women’s football as the quality on the very few occasions I happened to see 10 minutes before turning over was piss poor. However, I’ve now seen three halves of this WC, including the second half of last night’s gam, and can report that I’ve enjoyed it - proper skills on display (a bit of flappy keeping notwithstanding). I think I’ll make a point of watching the whole of the France v US game.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Really ? Thats unreal. They're actually hosting a World Cup, but only bothering to show the France games on terrestrial. Blimey.

I've heard reporters over there saying that in a lot of the host cities, you'd barely know that a World Cup is going on. No fanparks, no posters around town. Sounds like the organisers have done a pretty ropey job in promoting it, and a lot of the attendances would bear that out, despite prices being decent (adult tickets from €9). If it was being held over here, it'd be hyped to the heavens.

I agree the lack of promotion is shameful, I commute to Paris from the suburbs everyday and apart from the odd poster on a bus or station platform there's been nowt.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
After watching this world cup I've gone to the clubs and suggested shorts with BUM POCKETS.

The moment the ball is near, simply slip the hands INTO the bum pockets, and avoid handball situations.

I was ASTOUNDED when the handball was given last night and it seemed a standard decision. If the ball is WHACKED at you from a few yards away, and you've got your arm in a natural position, what else are you meant to do!? I shudder to think the amount of blocks Dunk and Duffy did last year that must have hit a hand at some point.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Last night's penalty for Netherlands was probably correct. It would almost certainly have been a goal if it hadn't hit a hand, so on that basis I think a penalty was correct.

That said, I suspect that this would have been given as a penalty even if it had been a cross, or the shot had been way off target. That would be wrong in my opinion.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
appreciate a rule change and not VAR but this must change back. A farce if penalty is given just for hitting an arm. They have already gone back on goal keepers movement and not booking tnem so common sense can prevail

The only temporary change to the goalkeeping rulle is no yellow card in a penalty shootout. The rule itself remains in place.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
They are saying most caps at a World Cup and combining men and woman - seems odd to me - just don’t recall seeing it in any other sport.

Ah, so not 'Female cricketers included in most ODI caps for England men?'

In the Olympics, we would talk about our 'most successful Olympians' and then list both male and female in the same list.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Have you seen female footballers included in most caps for England men then? That would be an odd stat.

A couple of months back, the FA unveiled its new England international cap wall at St George's Park.

The decision was made to combine England women's caps with those of the men and futsal.

The only player in the 150+ caps on the new board - Fara Williams (170).

Likely to join the 150+ soon - Karen Carney (143) and Jill Scott (140).

Highest number of caps for England men - Peter Shilton (125).

Not all comparisons are useful.

England cap wall.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They are saying most caps at a World Cup and combining men and woman - seems odd to me - just don’t recall seeing it in any other sport.

Agreed, it is odd. Marta of Brazil has apparently just become "the all time record goalscorer in World Cup Finals, with 17 goals, surpassing Germany's Mirolsav Klose".

WHY start mixing up the records between the mens game and the womens ? When did this suddenly become a "thing" ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here