Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you watching and enjoying the Women’s World Cup?

Are you watching the Women’s World Cup?

• Total voters

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Given up.

Bored with all the VAR stuff now. It's slowly bled any enjoyment out of the tournament for me now. Even my 8 yo son, who would watch 2 flies crawling up a wall so long as one of them is wearing a football shirt, has abandoned watching and doesn't even bother asking if there is a match on anymore.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Mmmmm....yes, but this is simply because they aren't good at it yet. We Brits weren't all that good at not drink driving, and the old bill weren't much cop at stopping it, when it first became law, way back when. It will get there, and there is no going back.

I'm sure plenty were saying that 44 years ago about the EU (EEC, if I'm concerning myself with accuracy)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Given up.

Bored with all the VAR stuff now. It's slowly bled any enjoyment out of the tournamount for me now. Even my 8 yo son, who would watch 2 flies crawling up a wall so long as one of them is wearing a football shirt, has abandoned watching and doesn't even bother asking if there is a match on anymore.

Me no understand

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Is it not true that they have already gone back on the VAR/penalties/goalie on the line rule halfway through the WWC? I think they have.

Only for penalty shoot outs on the basis that every goalkeeper is likely to get at least a couple of yellows and get sent off!! the rule still applies for penalties given during normal play.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Only for penalty shoot outs on the basis that every goalkeeper is likely to get at least a couple of yellows and get sent off!! the rule still applies for penalties given during normal play.

Indeed, but to change a rule halfway through a World Cup tournament shows how poorly done this is and how it is possible to go back.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not watching or interested, but noticed the ruckus with Cameroon, so watched the news clip for a laugh. Getting my footie fix from watching Tudor Baluta. Have set 'record' for South Africa match with Percy on Sky tomorrow.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cameroon player should have been sent off for an elbow on Nikita Parris right at the start. It is reviewed and the referee does not make the correct decision under the laws of the game.

Farce.
Without VAR, she wasn't sent off. VAR didn't fix the issue, but it didn't cause it either. You need a new hobby.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Duffey should be watching how they direct their headers in front of goal, instead of just sticking their heads out and hoping, goalkeeping standard is crap.
Cameroon are a bunch of thugs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is it not true that they have already gone back on the VAR/penalties/goalie on the line rule halfway through the WWC? I think they have.

As I said, VAR is here to stay. As I said months (a year?) ago, refs may deliberately or subconsciously sabotage it if they perceive it threatens their supremacy. And the authorities are hopeless and will have introduced it in an unclear and clunky way. But it is here to stay, and like drink driving laws (80 mg/ml? 35 mg/ml?) the details will evolve. But there is no going back to 'let the ref guess'.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
VAR is shyt. Needs to be ditched as too many fvckwitts operate the fecking thing. Too many interpretations by half wits.

That is my well thought out assessment. Over the season, things even themselves out. Man up Football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

The Premier League have already announced that they will NOT be using VAR reviews to check that goalkeepers stay on their line at penalties next season.

So it would appear that you can simply pick and choose what you use VAR for, which is nice. Makes it nice and clear for everyone when you have different rules doesn't it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So it would appear that you can simply pick and choose what you use VAR for, which is nice. Makes it nice and clear for everyone when you have different rules doesn't it.
It's always been the case that there's inconsistency between refereeing decisions in different leagues around the world. As for the VAR decisions on the position of goalkeeper's feet when a penalty is taken, it looks likely that VAR won't be involved in any league or tournament, so that will be consistent.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I have enjoyed the 4 games I have seen. The standard of technical ability has improved a huge amount over the past few years, it seems faster as well. Some cracking goals and skills on show. Its also nice (with the exception of Cameroon yesterday) that there isn't a mad dash to scream at the ref or officials every couple of mins.A nice lack on the whole of falling over and pretending to die every time they are tackled. The mens' game could learn a thing or two.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here