Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you watching and enjoying the Women’s World Cup?

Are you watching the Women’s World Cup?

• Total voters

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Away from the VAR madness, that's the kind of game that the tournament desperately needed as far as passion and emotion goes.

Scotland were coasting at 3-0 with 16 minutes to go with every chance of qualifying on GD.

You can't fail from that position...unless you're Scotland.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Away from the VAR madness, that's the kind of game that the tournament desperately needed as far as passion and emotion goes.

Scotland were coasting at 3-0 with 16 minutes to go with every chance of qualifying on GD.

You can't fail from that position...unless you're Scotland.

Bingo. As a neutral (ish) it was hugely entertaining.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
When the ball is kicked, the defending goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot touching, or in line with, the goal line.

In line with?

Does that mean you can be in the air?

Also, doesn’t that suggest you can’t be in the goal like some keepers do to get the forward momentum.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Will all the bitter Jocks burn their Argie shirts now?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why are people blaming VAR? It’s the rules.

If it stops things like Cardiff goal at their place last season I’m all for it

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Will all the bitter Jocks burn their Argie shirts now?

41 years later, it's clear that Argentina still haven't forgiven Scotland for being namechecked in this aural monstrosity.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Some thoughts ...

VAR is the worst thing to happen to football in a long time

If I was a woman or a proper women's football fan, i'd be a bit fed up that these new rulings are being experimented on during the world cup

I don't mind the goalie off the line rule in principle but the cynic in me says it will be enforced when the small teams score but not when the big teams score.

The football is generally pretty entertaining this tournament. Good to see less (but not zero) cheating, diving and time-wasting

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
England's last 16 opponents will be Chile if they beat Thailand by 3 goals or better, or if Chile win and the Cameroon v New Zealand game is a draw.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've never seen a game end like that. Not one of the players realised when she blew that the game was over.

This incident goes to show that when VAR is used in extra time that added time must be reset upon the restart so that fans and players alike know how much time there is to go. The commentator seemed to think there should have been at least 5 more minutes of football to be played.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Probably just as well Scotland didn't make it through for the sake of some of their supporters.

Scotland fans mix up Reims & Rennes

Three Scotland fans were left wishing they had paid more attention to school French lessons after heading to Reims instead of Rennes to watch their team.

The Ailsa Craig Tartan Army trio were travelling from Brussels, having watched Steve Clarke's men's national team lose to Belgium.

They reached Rennes in time for the Women's World Cup match against Japan - but only after a near 500km trip in the wrong direction.

"We had to change for the Rennes train in Paris," said David Irving, who was travelling with his brother Martin, and a friend.

"Walking down the platform and my pal Tony said to me: 'platform six' and I said: 'Are you sure? That doesn't look like the right spelling'.

"He said it was the French spelling. So we thought, no problem."

The group could only get first class tickets, having not booked in advance, and so settled in for a comfortable journey and a nap.

"My brother was further up the carriage and myself and Tony were sitting together."

"I woke up about 15 minutes from our destination and my brother had sent me a text message saying: 'We're going in the wrong direction'."

Cue a "nightmare" scramble to book more tickets and get back to Paris, from where the trio finally boarded a train to Brittany.

"That took a long time. And eventually when we did get to Rennes at half 11 it took us another hour to get a taxi to go to our digs. So that was us 12 hours on the go, a fair sprint."

Scotland lost 2-1 to Japan in Rennes and unfortunately their travel misadventures were not quite over as they headed home.

"Worst thing is our pal Tony booked tickets for us to come back on Sunday and, before we'd even left, a couple came up and said we were sitting in their seats - we thought they'd double booked our seats".

"This polite Frenchman looked at our tickets and said: 'that says Lundi - that is for Monday' - we'd booked the wrong tickets which ended up costing us more money again."

"But we've had a good laugh. Don't get me wrong at the time it wasn't funny especially on Sunday coming back when we once again didn't have a seat and had to stand for two hours coming back from Rennes to go to Paris."

"I wasn't very good at French in school."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48693004

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
41 years later, it's clear that Argentina still haven't forgiven Scotland for being namechecked in this aural monstrosity.

But they won it, didn't they ? :lolol:

I liked the joke about McLeod smashing up a cigarette machine and claiming in his defence that he only wanted 10 players...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Extraordinary turnaround from Argentina.

Gutted for Scotland, but they shot themselves in the foot. Although why the ref didn’t add more time on perplexed me. Although you could say it was Scotland that caused most of the time wasting.

Highly entertaining, for all the right reasons, and as entertaining in different ways, to men’s football.

There are lots of frightened men on here [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't understand the Scotland manager moaning about reffing decisions. That was a stonewall penalty and the goalie's feet were well off the line. You can moan about the unfairness of the law but that's what it is now and VAR picked it up.

I've been anti-VAR from the start and the experiences from this WC seem to back up what I've always said - VAR will do nothing to stop arguments, there'll still be players and managers complaining about decisions but now we have to have long delays in the game as well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've never seen a game end like that. Not one of the players realised when she blew that the game was over.

This incident goes to show that when VAR is used in extra time that added time must be reset upon the restart so that fans and players alike know how much time there is to go. The commentator seemed to think there should have been at least 5 more minutes of football to be played.

This is an important point. We are losing a LOT of time to VAR reviews, and it is absolutely not being added on at the end.

The Nations League game between Switzerland and Portugal saw a major VAR fiasco in the 2nd half, where the Swiss were denied a pen, Portugal went up the other end and were awarded one, then just as Ronaldo was about to put the ball down, the ref reviewed the Swiss appeal and (eventually and quite inexplicably) gave the penalty to Switzerland. Between awarding the Portugal pen, then reviewing it and giving the Swiss one, a good 5-6 minutes elapsed before the game eventually kicked off again following the Swiss pen being put away.

At the end of the game, only 5 minutes additional time was put up. That half there had been the VAR fiasco, 3 goals, several bookings, multiple subs, injured players rolling around. But only 5 minutes. It could and should have easily been DOUBLE that - but you know what ? I think the officials are EMBARRASSED to add too much time on at the end, because it only highlights just what a time-consuming ballache VAR can be.

It looks like we'll just have to get used to losing large chunks of the game, doesn't it. Still, at least they always make the right decision in the end eh.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't understand the Scotland manager moaning about reffing decisions. That was a stonewall penalty and the goalie's feet were well off the line. You can moan about the unfairness of the law but that's what it is now and VAR picked it up.

I've been anti-VAR from the start and the experiences from this WC seem to back up what I've always said - VAR will do nothing to stop arguments, there'll still be players and managers complaining about decisions but now we have to have long delays in the game as well.
Which don't appear to actually be counted as 'delays'. Whatever your views on the rights and wrongs of VAR and the Argentinian penalty decision (and the VAR on the retake) you would reasonably expect that the game time lost whilst the officials arrived at the 'correct' decisions would be added on. Not so; it appears to be counted as playing time. (As Easy 10 has pointed out it also happened in the Nations' League, so it wasn't just the Scotland v Argentina match officials).

I'm guessing they have to do that, otherwise you could have matches lasting more than two hours, and seeing '15' held up for the additional minutes won't be seen as unremarkable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here