Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you watching and enjoying the Women’s World Cup?

Are you watching the Women’s World Cup?

• Total voters

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Var is becoming a farce. Those at top must make changes Apart from offsides and if offence was in/out of area let refs make decision.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
France have just got the softest penalty after VAR. And then got to take it again after it had been missed

The organisers really want France through

Really, you think it was soft? She's kicked the back of her leg!!

As for VAR, it's going to be hard for keepers but the correct decision to take it again however big question over encroachment. As the player furthest forward was French then it should have been disallowed and retaken for a third time. However, I agree that they need to look at the laws. If the penalty misses the goal then shouldn't matter what the goalie did.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Var is becoming a farce. Those at top must make changes Apart from offsides and if offence was in/out of area let refs make decision.

Think VAR got the penalty decision right. Reviewed and recommended the ref take another look. Where it failed was in not spotting the encroachment!!

Remember, VAR is just another ref or refs in another room. If the quality of the officials is poor then so will some of the decisions when they are referred.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

As for VAR, it's going to be hard for keepers but the correct decision to take it again however big question over encroachment. As the player furthest forward was French then it should have been disallowed and retaken for a third time. However, I agree that they need to look at the laws. If the penalty misses the goal then shouldn't matter what the goalie did.

They have already changed the Handball law for VAR, why not change more?

It’s a Slippery slope

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Taking a few months off since last years WC I can't remember the last time I wasn't having football IV'd into my brain so for the wifes sake I'm not watching a thing.

boik

But is VAR meant to correct "OBVIOUS" mistakes. If the ref can't spot the keeper moving an inch off the line, then it's not obvious and should stand.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The laws were broken, she stepped of the line. I really don't understand why people have an issue with this. People against VAR are sounding more and more like old people who are against change. I see nothing wrong with what happened.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The laws were broken, she stepped of the line. I really don't understand why people have an issue with this. People against VAR are sounding more and more like old people who are against change. I see nothing wrong with what happened.

Agree.

It's almost as if people want a little bit of cheating.

If it feels too harsh, then change the rules. Allow the keep to step off their line and write it into the rules. Otherwise, a rule is a rule.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

It had no material effect on the outcome though - she'd missed the pen. If she'd stepped off the line and SAVED it then a retake would be fair enough, but not if its missed surely.

Then you had the french players encroaching (both times) - but this was ignored.

Sorry, but the VAR in this tournament has been a shambles.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
It had no material effect on the outcome though - she'd missed the pen. If she'd stepped off the line and SAVED it then a retake would be fair enough, but not if its missed surely.

But they are the laws. If a penalty is missed, and the goalkeeper is off their line, it is retaken, that is an issue with the laws, not the VAR. Plus with encroachment, both attackers and defender are encroaching, so a goal is awarded.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But they are the laws. If a penalty is missed, and the goalkeeper is off their line, it is retaken, that is an issue with the laws, not the VAR. Plus with encroachment, both attackers and defender are encroaching, so a goal is awarded.

Never used to be. We've all seen encroachment and keepers off their line pre-VAR all the time, and if the penalty is scored (directly) then the ref always awarded the goal regardless. The issue only occurred if the penalty was saved, ie the keeper had gained a clear advantage by coming off the line, in wihch case a retake is entirely justified. Not if she's missed the bloody target though !

Its ludicrous that the VAR ordered a retake on a missed penalty because the keeper had stepped off her line. The law needs changing and VAR needs implementing more consistently. If you're going to order retakes on technicalities, then its all or nothing. If we're really going down this route, then encroachment is encroachment, and the retake should also have been retaken.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
If each and every possible infringement is referred by VAR to the ref, then we need to be prepared for 5 minute delays on a regular basis, and a game potentially lasting 120 minutes or more. Don't fancy that much myself.

The overriding principle of VAR is meant to be "minimal interference maximum benefit". But give the referees free rein on a forensic tool, and inevitably it will get out of control.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If each and every possible infringement is referred by VAR to the ref, then we need to be prepared for 5 minute delays on a regular basis, and a game potentially lasting 120 minutes or more. Don't fancy that much myself.

The overriding principle of VAR is meant to be "minimal interference maximum benefit". But give the referees free rein on a forensic tool, and inevitably it will get out of control.

This was always going to happen. The "clear and obvious error" was fine in theory, and would be in practice, if thats how it was going to be used. But introducing technology was inevitably going to invite forensic, time-consuming analysis. Now we're getting goals ruled out for a toe or shoulder being deemed literally a millimetre offside.

The net result of all this will be less goals being allowed to stand in open play, and LOTS more penalties being awarded. The new handball interpretation is an abomination that will massively skew scorelines and results. Officials will play a bigger role than ever now in determining a scoreline of a game.

I think VAR, on the whole, worked fairly well in the World Cup last year. But its been terrible in this womens tournament.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
History made last night, as Brazils Marta scored against Italy and became the all time top goalscorer in World Cup Finals history with 17 goals, surpassing Miroslav Klose's record.

Wow.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Good to see that THPP and his clan made it over to France just in time for the Scotland v Argentina game.

scotland4.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Dipping in and out, more out than in because of time pressures for other things more than anything else.....

…. but pleasantly surprised by the enjoyability of it all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here