Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you watching and enjoying the Women’s World Cup?

Are you watching the Women’s World Cup?

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lucy Bronze v Megan Rapinoe is going to be a hell of a dual !

Why can't the men's game have such brilliant players with such brilliant names?

That Invincible bloke was a bit shit.

Bronze, however..... kickarse.jpg

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The game last night and tonight were excellent. Its not quite the same game as men's football and i mean that in a very positive way. There is 'more football' being played and some of the passing is poor, some is exquisite. I can't believe that people have just written it off (the 65 in the poll) its been better than a lot of PL games.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
An absolutely huge football occasion coming up. England Germany final anyone?

We'll do well to the beat the US but I can't see it being Germany in the final - I'm not even convinced they'll beat Sweden. I fancy it will be a US v Italy final

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The game last night and tonight were excellent. Its not quite the same game as men's football and i mean that in a very positive way. There is 'more football' being played and some of the passing is poor, some is exquisite. I can't believe that people have just written it off (the 65 in the poll) its been better than a lot of PL games.

A very exciting game last night which I enjoyed. Was whatsapping with the bloke I sit with at The Albion who was also watching and rates it for what it is.

There's much less diving and whinging but then there are fewer physical challenges. There's a constant edge of excitement but then some of that is down to tactical naivity. There was barely any midfield structure at all last night and the USA's second was due to France being all over the place. But now they've sorted out VAR the games are flowing much better and there's a feeling, not dissimilar to a tight international Rugby Union game, that any attack could change the game at any point.

Sadly I am going to be on a train hom from Preston on Tuesday night so won't be settling in to watch from the sofa but I'll try and get good enough reception to watch on my phone..

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Are they not extending the centre at Lancing to play their games there?

It would be great if they could but with attendances around the 500 mark (and who knows possibly a few more due to the attention the World Cup has received) I'm not sure whether the training ground could cope with 500 to 600 people for their matches?

Debating whether to get a season ticket for the WFL as very reasonable for £30 and hopefully not too many would clash with the 1st team dates. Currently when the Albion are away I go and watch my local county side Shoreham when they are at home which I love. It's so nice to also support my real local side as it's cheap, easy to get to, and you get to chat to some of the guys after the game for a drink or two, and there's none of this 'Billy Big Bollocks' you get with some of the prima donna Premier League players. It's a nice counter balance.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
A very exciting game last night which I enjoyed. Was whatsapping with the bloke I sit with at The Albion who was also watching and rates it for what it is.

There's much less diving and whinging but then there are fewer physical challenges. There's a constant edge of excitement but then some of that is down to tactical naivity. There was barely any midfield structure at all last night and the USA's second was due to France being all over the place. But now they've sorted out VAR the games are flowing much better and there's a feeling, not dissimilar to a tight international Rugby Union game, that any attack could change the game at any point.

Sadly I am going to be on a train hom from Preston on Tuesday night so won't be settling in to watch from the sofa but I'll try and get good enough reception to watch on my phone..

Its not men's football in the same way that women's tennis for most of the games is different to men's. Personally i prefer to watch the women's tennis as it is not just about aces (yes i know there is more to it and it can also be brilliant). Another good game tonight. It will be on iplayer....you might be able to catch some of it live.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Anyone see the Germany Sweden game? I don't understand the var decision for the offside when it would have otherwise been a penalty. Why did they draw the line from the players upper arm? I thought it had to be a part of the body that could play the ball. They obviously didnt take the lower arm for that reason but it should have been taken from the shoulder shouldn't it which would have made it onside.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Just in case you were in any doubts as to how seriously they were taking it, the BBC have already started the build-up for today's game 10 and a half hours early.

We're currently being 'treated' to good luck messages from the likes of Schofe and Holly, the GMB team and Lincolnshire Police Dog Section.

It's the stuff of dreams for Crodo at least.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/48837148

boik

Just in case you were in any doubts as to how seriously they were taking it, the BBC have already started the build-up for today's game 10 and a half hours early.

We're currently being 'treated' to good luck messages from the likes of Schofe and Holly, the GMB team and Lincolnshire Police Dog Section.

It's the stuff of dreams for Crodo at least.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/48837148

Terrible isn't it? Hope you've written in to complain.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I read somewhere that 50,000 England fans were expected in Lyons? That is probably more than for any England men’s game overseas, is it actually true, or just positive spin from certain organisations?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I read somewhere that 50,000 England fans were expected in Lyons? That is probably more than for any England men’s game overseas, is it actually true, or just positive spin from certain organisations?

Guess that depends where 'somewhere' was :shrug:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Terrible isn't it? Hope you've written in to complain.

We both know all comments are carefully moderated to fit the BBC's social engineering narrative, so they're unlikely to be published. :wink:

Still, who needs balance, objectivity and perspective today?

It's getting better...

Thanks to Jayne Pugsley for sending us this poem:

England's Pride

A pride of Lionesses prowl and roar,
Chasing their prey as a team,
Weakening the defence, attacking to score,
While a nation dares to dream...

"Well it started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle & the less said about the end the better. But apart from that, excellent."

boik

We both know all comments are carefully moderated to fit the BBC's social engineering narrative, so they're unlikely to be published. :wink:

Still, who needs balance, objectivity and perspective today?

It's getting better...

Thanks to Jayne Pugsley for sending us this poem:

England's Pride

A pride of Lionesses prowl and roar,
Chasing their prey as a team,
Weakening the defence, attacking to score,
While a nation dares to dream...

"Well it started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle & the less said about the end the better. But apart from that, excellent."

Not quite sure what your objection is. It's not like it's keeping PL coverage off the BBC is it. Maybe you just shouldn't read womens football stuff? I hate rugby, but I don't read all the rugby articles and then moan about them.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

It's very unlikely as the stadium only holds 57,900 and the USA women's team had a lowest attendance of 18,591 in the group stage.

There's still tickets available from 15 Euros on the official FIFA resale site if anyone's in the area...

https://tickets.fwwc19.fr/uk/meeting/226/lyon-semi-finals-england-usa/stade-de-lyon/02-07-2019/21h00

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Not quite sure what your objection is. It's not like it's keeping PL coverage off the BBC is it. Maybe you just shouldn't read womens football stuff? I hate rugby, but I don't read all the rugby articles and then moan about them.

Respectfully, you're projecting here. There's no objection.

Outside of the usual transfer rumours, managerial changes and preseason friendlies, there's no need for Premier League coverage at all in the summer.

As for not reading women's football stuff, I'm interested as I've coached women here for 4 years at an amateur level. I like the women's game.

My comments are based on the BBC build-up starting 10 and a half hours before KO. It wasn't even that early for the Men's Semifinal v Croatia!

The trouble with starting that early is that in order to fill time, more content is needed and quality inevitably suffers.

Besides, it’s naïve at best to think opinions on women's football coverage (or anything else) should be one sided. Conflicting views help to balance media spin.

And all this on a day when the BBC salaries are revealed...
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48826586

#timetochangethelicensefee

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here