Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] BBC Statistician - Brighton Squad needs "major surgery"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Couldn't see a thread on this though it may have been posted in transfer threads. Think it needs one of its own.

The BBC Sport Statistician Chris Collinson has picked out six PL squads that need "major surgery" (in the headline), though the body of the article is a bit less drastic. He does say "After inheriting a squad that finished just two points above the relegation zone, new manager Graham Potter will undoubtedly want to make some signings"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48473708

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Either CH had no input and the recruitment team signed players that CH didn’t want or he didn’t have the acumen to change things around and use them if he did approve the players. We spent plenty of money on new players so where did it go wrong?

Said it before but given the way CH sets his teams up we should have invested in the defence as he didn’t have the confidence at Premier League level to play expansive football. So are the attacking players shit or were they not used to their strengths. Time will tell once we get underway again.

Currently I’m sticking to the “shackled” mantra

Albion my Albion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Either CH had no input and the recruitment team signed players that CH didn’t want or he didn’t have the acumen to change things around and use them if he did approve the players. We spent plenty of money on new players so where did it go wrong?

Said it before but given the way CH sets his teams up we should have invested in the defence as he didn’t have the confidence at Premier League level to play expansive football.

The wrong players were obviously chosen. Whose fault that is is up for debate.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Said it before but given the way CH sets his teams up we should have invested in the defence as he didn’t have the confidence at Premier League level to play expansive football.

Two of the players we spent plenty of money on didn't even have work permits to play in this country FFS :facepalm:

And strengthening the squad doesn't mean a thing if you don't strengthen the first team.

It's not rocket science. It's not even sports science.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Two of the players we spent plenty of money on don't even have work permits FFS :facepalm:

And strengthening the squad doesn't mean a thing if you don't strengthen the first team.

It's not rocket science. It's not even sports science.

We did strengthen the first team, either they weren’t good enough or the manager wasn’t good enough. Harsh but true I think

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Too many cooks spoil the broth. I get the impression that they have so many people at the club with an input or opinion these days, the selection process for new players is akin to a poll on NSC.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
It’s a slow time for BBC Football they are trying to make the WWC a thing.

Best file under ‘slow news day’ and ‘stating the obvious’.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We did strengthen the first team, either they weren’t good enough or the manager wasn’t good enough. Harsh but true I think
The way we played the second half of the season, whether it was the recruitment or the manager at fault, we demonstrably had NOT strengthened the first team!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Too many cooks spoil the broth. I get the impression that they have so many people at the club with an input or opinion these days, the selection process for new players is akin to a poll on NSC.

And GP's brought along a recruitment guy as part of his backroom staff. Plus there's also Dan! Dan! to be added to the mix. If ever there was a management structure that desperately needed thinning out, it's the Albion's.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Said it before but given the way CH sets his teams up we should have invested in the defence as he didn’t have the confidence at Premier League level to play expansive football. So are the attacking players shit or were they not used to their strengths. Time will tell once we get underway again.

Currently I’m sticking to the “shackled” mantra

Chris had final say on new signings... players defo shackled...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Chris had final say on new signings... players defo shackled...

I think that’s open to debate....the club may have spun it that way...but in reality i’m Not as sure ....maybe it was a case of ‘’Chris you can have player a or b or no one ....he’d only be choosing from what was put in front of him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The wrong players were obviously chosen. Whose fault that is is up for debate.

Who chose the players? I think that the ultimate responsibility is pretty obvious TBH...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think that’s open to debate....the club may have spun it that way...but in reality i’m Not as sure ....maybe it was a case of ‘’Chris you can have player a or b or no one ....he’d only be choosing from what was put in front of him.

But he had the veto / final decision on new players... he had ultimate responsibility... he also picked the team, chose the tactics, shackled the players... he got sacked... is this so difficult to understand or accept?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
But he had the veto / final decision on new players... he had ultimate responsibility... he also picked the team, chose the tactics, shackled the players... he got sacked... is this so difficult to understand or accept?

Lol....we were talking about player recruitment...is it so difficult for you to understand that things aren’t quite so black and white (bw)...I think I’ve posted a legitimate query over your ‘’final say’’ say comment and you’ve gone off on one.

Ye some of us would prefer CH to still be at the club is that so hard to take? Tough if it is....doesn’t mean we won’t be supporting the club next season and getting behind GP

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here