Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which Albion players sported the Footballers Perm at anytime during their football career?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Which Albion players sported the "Footballers Perm" or "Bubble Perm" at any point during their footballing career?

These are the rules. Please adhere to them:

1. The player must have played for the Albion (Brighton) at one stage during their career.

2. The "Perm" may have been sported at any time during their footballing career, either before, during or after their Albion playing days.

3. The resulting hairstyle must have been achieved by a thermal or chemical perming process. Players with a naturally curly head of hair will not be accepted.

4. Before and after photos are optional but desirable for evidential purposes and to avert the risk of any libelous accusations.

My offering is Peter Ward. He actually sported his perm while playing for the Albion having first arrived with a head of untamed hair. Obviously happy with the result he perservered with the look and it was transferred, with himself to Nottingham Forest but moderated it slightly by going for a much tighter curl. On departing these shores for America he dispensed with the perm and opted for the "mullet", but it was too late, the damage had already been done. The last photo offers a glimpse of the potential perils of subjecting your hair to too many years of thermal and chemical abuse.

Albion pre perm
s-l300 (1).jpg

Albion perm
peterward2.jpg

Notts Forest perm
gettyimages-78980231-1024x1024.jpg

USA mullet
Peter Ward 1990 MISL card.jpg

Ravaged by years of chemical abuse
5993511226_753bb42b78_o.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Peter Sayer, sorry have never worked out how to post pics

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
neilsmillie.jpg

smills.jpg

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Hmmm. I'm not so sure about Neil Smillie. Evidence suggests he had naturally curly hair as all pics throughout his entire playing career he sports a curly barnet from the start of his career at Palace to the end of his playing days at Gillingham. Admittedly he may have given his hair a little help but I'm not so sure. Here's a pic of him at Gillingham who he signed for in 1993. His hair is slightly shorter but the curls are still evident. I don't think any self respecting player would have still been perming his hair as late as 1993.

01ASV6CM.jpeg

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
At various points, half the Mullery team had them: from memory, Ken Tiler, Mark Lawrenson, Gerry Ryan, Andy Rollings, Peter Sayer, Peter Ward, Peter O'Sullivan,John Ruggiero and Malcolm Poskett.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
At various points, half the Mullery team had them: from memory, Ken Tiler, Mark Lawrenson, Gerry Ryan, Andy Rollings, Peter Sayer, Peter Ward, Peter O'Sullivan,John Ruggiero and Malcolm Poskett.

Not Sully. He was naturally curly. As was Foster who an earlier poster mentioned. All the others though I believe opted for a perm at some point, with varying degrees of success....

download.jpeg

s-l300 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here