Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leandro Trossard SIGNS ON A FOUR-YEAR DEAL

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It was only the right thing to do because our default position was one of inferirity and it became circular. The less able we felt we were to compete, the more defensive we were, the fewer goals we scored, the fewer points we accumulated and the more we felt we were unable to compete. Ironically the one game where we had to be a bit more savvy was Palace and, guess what, we didn't get a lucky 0-0 like we did against Wolves or lose like we did against Spurs, we picked up two goals and three points.

Don’t entirely agree.

We tried to be expansive and it failed, we were getting desperate, so Chris went to ‘what we do/did best’ - and it worked.

Rigid defensive structure, difficult to break down. Nothing lucky there, sure they hit the post, but Kayal clipped the bar.

Re Palace, I wouldn’t say we were expansive, more hit them on the break.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Come on CJ, missing your transfer rumour analysis and marks out of 10 for each... *wink*. Actually I do realise you are usually busy around Glastonbury time, so no worries if you can't...

Striker - Samatta, McBurnie

Right back - Bogle

Midfield - Kamara, Dack, Hagi

None of the other rumours seem to have much life.

Are these ‘real’ rumours or NSC wish list?

Hoping the RB and midfielders are all NSC wishes [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Are these ‘real’ rumours or NSC wish list?

Hoping the RB and midfielders are all NSC wishes [emoji2]

Rumours that come from professional media outlets - not that they can be relied on 100% - rather than internet guessers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don’t entirely agree.

We tried to be expansive and it failed, we were getting desperate, so Chris went to ‘what we do/did best’ - and it worked.

Rigid defensive structure, difficult to break down. Nothing lucky there, sure they hit the post, but Kayal clipped the bar.

Re Palace, I wouldn’t say we were expansive, more hit them on the break.

I didn't say we were expansive against Palace, I said we were "more savvy". It's the one game where our fans won't put up with pragmatism. If you think the Palace performance and the Spurs performance were the same you're being disingenuous. Now, you may say Spurs and Palace are very different teams and I'd have to agree but Wolves were newly promoted. They had 14 corners to our 1, 23 shots to our 5 and 69% posession. When the opposition has 23 shots and 14 corners it is absolutely down to luck that one doesn't go in.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I didn't say we were expansive against Palace, I said we were "more savvy". It's the one game where our fans won't put up with pragmatism. If you think the Palace performance and the Spurs performance were the same you're being disingenuous. Now, you may say Spurs and Palace are very different teams and I'd have to agree but Wolves were newly promoted. They had 14 corners to our 1, 23 shots to our 5 and 69% posession. When the opposition has 23 shots and 14 corners it is absolutely down to luck that one doesn't go in.

I never mentioned Spurs, just Wolves. Disingenuous doesn’t come into it. Palace, we also defended but they are susceptible to breaks more than other teams and particularly at home.

Re Wolves - The corner count shows territorially they were on top - so what?

Poor corners that rarely beat the first man... I don’t agree at all.

They created nothing. There was no luck involved, just a lack of creativity on their part due to our well organised structure.

Edit - I see you mentioned Spurs initially, that was a great defensive display.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Come on CJ, missing your transfer rumour analysis and marks out of 10 for each... *wink*. Actually I do realise you are usually busy around Glastonbury time, so no worries if you can't...

Striker - Samatta, McBurnie

Right back - Bogle

Midfield - Kamara, Dack, Hagi

None of the other rumours seem to have much life.

I can't see us going for Dack as he hasn't got the pace which seems to be a pre-requisite for Potter. Kamara is an interesting one and something I can see happening.
Naylor has already poured cold water on us going for Bogle, quoting his source " puzzled as to why we were being linked with him, looking for a RB with Prem experience" - Tavernier perhaps?

McBurnie I think will go to Sheffield United, he has family up Leeds way. No nothing of Samatta, would he be a Murray replacement?

other than that it is very quiet, but considering we still need a RB, box to box midfielder and a Striker then presume the rumours will start kicking in shortly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not saying all players signed from the Championship are amazing - but there are good quality players in there who I believe could improve our team and the bedding in phase will be a lot shorter.

Maupay from Brentford- when I've seen them play on TV he looks a real handful at 22 years of age. I know people say Brentford won't do buisness with us but if we offer over £10m I'm sure we'll start talking.

Jarrod Bowen from Hull, again 22 years of age but a tricky winger and a great passer of the ball. Around the £10m ball park again - but these are the fees we have paid for Locadia and Izquierdo recently so I don't understand the reluctance.

Unsurprisingly I'm now keeping half an eye on the nonsense swirling around these 2 players.
As it stands the 'rumours' (bare faced lies) for these two have you at half right.

Everton + Bowen = £12m (the rumours add Spurs & Southampton into a potential bidding war!!)

That would put him on a par with our man, all things seemingly equal enough it's a straight shoot out between Belgium top flight and Championship experience - perfect! #ComeOnTeamWaffle.

As for Maupay - Villa have called the asking price "prohibitively expensive".
While the Newcastle rumour (lie) from earlier in the week was Newcastle United rumoured to have had a £12m bid rejected by the Bees who, allegedly, told the Magpies they’d want £18m PLUS Dwight Gayle on loan at Griffin Park for the season as well as 70% of his wages being paid by the Geordies.

Pretty sure £10m isn't enough to even walk down the driveway, seemingly £20m might get Brentford to answer the door, and start talking.

Assuming the Albion buys a striker, I really hope the club finally 'goes big' which will put him in that price bracket, so we might be in for another side by side comparison.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Unsurprisingly Assuming the Albion buys a striker, I really hope the club finally 'goes big' which will put him in that price bracket, so we might be in for another side by side comparison.

Goodness - I blooming hope so....

The Birmingham striker ?Che something to Stains seems to have gone quiet...

Is he any good or similar build to Andone?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Goodness - I blooming hope so....

The Birmingham striker ?Che something to Stains seems to have gone quiet...

Is he any good or similar build to Andone?

He's young, excellent and English.
No chance he'll be coming here.
Our scouts are scouring Albania's second league for a Murray replacement.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He's young, excellent and English.
No chance he'll be coming here.
Our scouts are scouring Albania's second league for a Murray replacement.

Thing is, you stated over and over that you don't want the club to 'gamble' on their signings.

Where does a player from the Championship with 34 goals in 116 games fit into this?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Naylor has already poured cold water on us going for Bogle, quoting his source " puzzled as to why we were being linked with him, looking for a RB with Prem experience" - Tavernier perhaps?

I imagine they'd mean MORE 'Premier League experience' than James Tavernier's 34 minutes? :shrug:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Fair weather fans? Seems like we have a lot these days. I’m not asking anyone to justify why they didn’t go, it’s their lives, no one’s called them out, they can do what they want.

Not turning up, because we are shit, seems like the opposite of what it means to be an Albion fan, especially considering how long it took to get where we are.

(Btw I’m not saying that people who didn’t turn up aren’t real fans)

As for away games, sometimes putting 10 men behind the ball was the right thing to do. It got us an important point at Wolves and I remember that being very pleasing and it nearly worked at Tottenham.
My reasons for staying away were justifiable, for me. I have spent many Tuesday nights in places like Darlington, Hartlepool and Doncaster, in the pissing rain when we were REALLY shit. Having the likes of Rochdale and Scunthorpe really taking the piss. Me and maybe 200 others at most, at most of those games That was a different kind of shit. Players who were barely non league managed by the likes of Jimmy Case who was clueless as a manager. The big difference being they all TRIED their best.

Last season none of the players looked interested and as for Hughton! So, you see, I'm no fair weather fan, merely one who could no longer watch players and a manager who were taking the piss. Every f.ucking week.

If you have a problem with me missing a few games-tough!

Fortunately there were enough of us for Tony Bloom to see what was happening. As owner he can't be seen to leave early but I see him in his seat every game and he looked like he regretted attending. He did the only thing he could-ride the storm until changes could be made

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Players who were barely non league managed by the likes of Jimmy Case who was clueless as a manager. The big difference being they all TRIED their best.

Last season none of the players looked interested and as for Hughton! So, you see, I'm no fair weather fan, merely one who could no longer watch players and a manager who were taking the piss. Every f.ucking week.

Why and how people turn up to the Albion is entirely up to them and the results/performances last year were clearly mixed and in the back end of the season hugely disappointing (our tactics, signings, line ups, quality of opposition - take your pick) but the idea that the players and Hughton were "taking the piss" or "not interested" - sorry. At best its unfair - all season ? - at worse - downright insulting. Hughton deserves better for starters.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

That was Brian Owen on the Bogle rumours - https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17692885.albion-hunt-is-on-to-replace-bruno/
"They have been speculatively linked with Derby youngster Jayden Bogle in the early weeks of the close season.
Albion are fully aware of the 18-year-old’s huge promise but are understood to be puzzled by suggestions they are already involved in talks over a deal.
It is thought they would prefer more experience and top-flight know-how as they go into their third season among the elite."

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

A lazy google from me, but here we go... from the first link of 'percentage chance of scoring from a corner'

EPL, 12/13 season
~12,000 corners
10,969 crosses (the rest were short corners)
1,362 shots (12%)
182 goals (~2% of corners, excluding short)

Last season, Wolves had 195 corners, leading to 92 shots, scoring from 8 - around 4% conversion, so a much better rate than those teams in the 12/13 season. Our stats were 156 corners, 70 shots, 10 goals - about 6%.

If we look at defending corners, we can see that Brighton are quite a bit better than Wolves here.
Wolves conceded 190 corners, leading to 81 shots and ultimately 7 goals - so around 4% of goals against them lead to goals.
Brighton faced 216 corners, 77 shots and 5 goals - 2% conversion.

So compared to Wolves, we are both better at scoring corners, and defending them. Of course, Wolves get more corners and we concede more, so perhaps the numbers are simply skewed by a relatively small sample set and the fact corners are actually hard to score from.

In the specific game you mention, we were right up against it, but only two of their shots were actually good chances, one from open play and one from a free kick, both were saved by Ryan. The only other chance was when Jota headed against the post.

Wolves missed 48 'big chances' last season, about the middle of the table in terms of wasted efforts. Brighton missed 23, the fewest of all. I'd see that of a combination of our low number of chances - we had the second-fewest number of shots (Burnley bottom), and some quite clinical finishing.

I don't think we've learned much from my statrant there.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
A lazy google from me, but here we go... from the first link of 'percentage chance of scoring from a corner'

EPL, 12/13 season
~12,000 corners
10,969 crosses (the rest were short corners)
1,362 shots (12%)
182 goals (~2% of corners, excluding short)

Last season, Wolves had 195 corners, leading to 92 shots, scoring from 8 - around 4% conversion, so a much better rate than those teams in the 12/13 season. Our stats were 156 corners, 70 shots, 10 goals - about 6%.

If we look at defending corners, we can see that Brighton are quite a bit better than Wolves here.
Wolves conceded 190 corners, leading to 81 shots and ultimately 7 goals - so around 4% of goals against them lead to goals.
Brighton faced 216 corners, 77 shots and 5 goals - 2% conversion.

So compared to Wolves, we are both better at scoring corners, and defending them. Of course, Wolves get more corners and we concede more, so perhaps the numbers are simply skewed by a relatively small sample set and the fact corners are actually hard to score from.

In the specific game you mention, we were right up against it, but only two of their shots were actually good chances, one from open play and one from a free kick, both were saved by Ryan. The only other chance was when Jota headed against the post.

Wolves missed 48 'big chances' last season, about the middle of the table in terms of wasted efforts. Brighton missed 23, the fewest of all. I'd see that of a combination of our low number of chances - we had the second-fewest number of shots (Burnley bottom), and some quite clinical finishing.

I don't think we've learned much from my statrant there.

Tifo did a good video on the efficacy of corners last week:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here