Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leandro Trossard SIGNS ON A FOUR-YEAR DEAL

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Turns out he actually had the worst stats of any Newcastle manager since the Premier League began. Consider how many perceived “joke” managers Newcastle have had and it makes it even worse.

But in context, he was standing inbetween managers in the season they got relegated. That's Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinner and Alan Shearer. They had 4 or 5 managers (5 if you count CH twice) in one season. It looks like he got 3 games, then 8 games at a failing team working their way through managers and backroom staff.

He was then given the job properly in the Championship, was promoted and then was 11th in his first full prem season and was sacked.

Personally I would COMPLETE discount those caretaker roles and look at what he did once he was given the job. I think everyone agrees he was unfairly sacked.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He is looking a little grumpy, perhaps it is because he would rather be on honeymoon.....and who can blame him.
You think Lancing isn't a great honeymoon destination?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I certainly wasn't intending to suggest that you were writing him off, there's nothing to suggest you are at all. I think all of the players we've signed have been good players, but we haven't had the best out of them so far. I'm confident that we'll see better from them this season, which is why the manager has been changed, but we'll soon know.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they think Izquierdo might end up looking like bad business, and I agree with that. He had a good first season, especially in the context of how the team performed from an attacking perspective last season, but if his third season is anything like his second, he'll end up being remembered as a disappointing signing.

He was injured
Might have had something to do with it?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Bournemouth seem to manage it fine.

We're in the richest league in the world. Why would they have to be "dirt cheap"? In what parallel universe is 20 million euro for a gamble "dirt cheap"?

Your argument seems to be that we should know our place and not try to sign anyone good or desirable. Which is a little negative.

Yes: it is time that someone told the club.

another tailspin sweetie?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
See this is where we differ.

I don’t care how we stay up as long as we stay up.

Entertainment is secondary for me. I think we need to build gradually, with better quality, then progress.

Edit - I might have felt differently had we gone down, but we didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are in a minority with that. Not even Tony Bloom agrees with you. Most of us go to football to meet up with our friends, have a couple of beers and hopefully have an enjoyable afternoon because of the football-not in spite of it as was the case last season. Another season like that and there'd be no Waiting List for a Season Ticket. So many people stopped going last season because of the shit being served up on the pitch every single week. Empty seats in all parts of The Amex.

You stick with your 'entertainment is secondary' but I had had enough of Hughton's brand of football before Christmas. I want to enjoy my Saturdays at The Albion-when we get to play on a Saturday.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Depends where in Lancing I suppose.

Hogwarts for their kid as it grows up....

LancingCollege_image_2017_660s.jpg

and high class High Street boutiques for her when hubby is off playing football matches....

lancing-exterior-e1468847493674.jpg

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I’m of the opinion that I’d rather us stay up playing boring football than go down playing more attacking football.

Don’t get not turning up just because it’s not exciting enough.

I want to see us win no matter how we play, and I’m there to support the team.

We’re supporters, not customers.

I think there has to be a balance though. Yes if we play boring football and still win games then yes that would be enough.
However when we were playing very negative (therefore boring) football at home against teams we should be trying to win against, and what your watching actually frustrates you, then it's not fun anymore.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Trossard scored 20+ goals in the top league in Belgium. Led them to the title. Was their captain. Give the guy a chance-he hasn't even signed yet and there's an air of despondency on here.

Belgium has produced some decent players over the last few years. Hopefully The Albion have uncovered one in Trossard.

No despondency from me :rock:

This is a great signing that improves the options on the wing and at attacking central midfield.

1-3 more after this with just the striker as bedwettingly essential.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
But we weren't winning, we were defensive dull and still losing.

Yeah, and that was bloody annoying.

We were terrible and the players didn’t look bothered. Even my mate, who isn’t really a football fan, came to the Cardiff game and couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

Still, somehow, Chris turned it around and got us a few extra vital points at the end of the season.

Either way, just because we were shit, I wasn’t going to stop going. Still went up to Wolves knowing a point could be crucial and not expecting to be entertained. I went because I knew our support could help the team, and maybe it did. That’s what supporters do.

Did fans really go during the Withdean years to be entertained? Or because they wanted to help the club out as much as possible?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He was injured
Might have had something to do with it?

Of course, but that doesn't change the point that he might be looked upon as a disappointing signing in 5/10 years time.

How do you feel about Will Buckley, now you can look back on him? Ultimately disappointing after a brilliant start, no? Whereas there are plenty of examples of players being crap in their first season and then becoming legends, Guy Butters for example. How long was he a joke for, before becoming a stalwart and a standard bearer?

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I think there has to be a balance though. Yes if we play boring football and still win games then yes that would be enough.
However when we were playing very negative (therefore boring) football at home against teams we should be trying to win against, and what your watching actually frustrates you, then it's not fun anymore.

I agree, it was incredibly frustrating, but it still wouldn’t stop me going.

All this talk of fans not turning up because the going gets tough kills my Albion mojo a bit. I thought we had a loyal fanbase that would turn up to support the team no matter what, obviously not all our fans, but certainly the majority on here.

Absolutely not, you’re a great fan like the vast majority on here.

See I thoroughly enjoyed watching Spurs trying to break us down.

What i didn’t enjoy was us trying to be expansive vs Soton, Bournemouth and Cardiff and falling woefully short.

I simply believe we do not have the personnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do agree that we didn’t have the right personnel. But that was not the only problem. We didn’t have a plan ‘B’ under Hughton and were way too predictable.
Our wide players lacked quality going forward, partly due to being knackered from constantly tracking back, but also because CH insisted on playing them on their weak side.
They had to come inside to put in a cross, which invariably would be an inswinger, and the opposition would know this. Murray never got any help and was always outnumbered when the ball seldomly found its way into the box.
Maybe with a more attack minded coach we can utilise the players we brought last season better too. I’m not saying they are going to be world beaters, but maybe Potter can improve them?
I still want us to sign a decent striker. Maybe from the German league, or the championship? I’m sure Bloom is already lining someone up.
I do believe that Bloom has brought in Potter to match the type of players he’s buying. He started last season, but Hughton didn’t know how to utilise them. Only time will tell if Potter is able to or not.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think you are in a minority with that. Not even Tony Bloom agrees with you. Most of us go to football to meet up with our friends, have a couple of beers and hopefully have an enjoyable afternoon because of the football-not in spite of it as was the case last season. Another season like that and there'd be no Waiting List for a Season Ticket. So many people stopped going last season because of the shit being served up on the pitch every single week. Empty seats in all parts of The Amex.

You stick with your 'entertainment is secondary' but I had had enough of Hughton's brand of football before Christmas. I want to enjoy my Saturdays at The Albion-when we get to play on a Saturday.

In my opinion, people also stopped going to the Amex because we were losing and drawing.

Even with the cautious style of CH, true attendances would’ve held up if we’d beaten Watford, Burnley, Bmuff, Stains, Cardiff, Newcastle. The roar at full time whistle would’ve been huge, in sending Dyche, Smug Eddie and the Stains fans home with zero points.

I could accept the poor football as long as we won, in the belief that we would transform the squad and tactics in future transfer windows.

But the combination of crap football and home defeats against lowly opposition, was the crushing blow.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
In my opinion, people also stopped going to the Amex because we were losing and drawing.

Even with the cautious style of CH, true attendances would’ve held up if we’d beaten Watford, Burnley, Bmuff, Stains, Cardiff, Newcastle. The roar at full time whistle would’ve been huge, in sending Dyche, Smug Eddie and the Stains fans home with zero points.

I could accept the poor football as long as we won, in the belief that we would transform the squad and tactics in future transfer windows.

But the combination of crap football and home defeats against lowly opposition, was the crushing blow.

Have our attendances gone down then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here