Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leandro Trossard SIGNS ON A FOUR-YEAR DEAL

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What mistake...we're buying a player with what one can imagine, who has different attributes to what we currently have. The league is irrelevant because we are looking at attributes of a player and how that fits within our playing style.

Montoya played 60 odd games for Barcelona, and I'm not overly convinced by him, we also bought that Jack Harper from Real Madrid, he didn't turn out great. Therefore, players from the top 2 clubs in La Liga are not good enough. Same logic, just fatally flawed.

I don’t entirely agree, whilst looking at attributes of a player, you simply cannot ignore the league they are playing in.

AJ great stats in Holland but literally nothing for us, largely because of the gulf in quality. Personally, as per my other post I’d look towards Germany and other leagues.

This is not against Trossard, more the areas we are applying our efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I don’t entirely agree, whilst looking at attributes of a player, you simply cannot ignore the league they are playing in.

AJ great stats in Holland but literally nothing for us, largely because of the gulf in quality. Personally, as per my other post I’d look towards Germany and other leagues.

This is not against Trossard, more the areas we are applying our efforts.

You're absolutely correct.

As you're ignoring the fact our team was absolutely shackled offensively. Creating very few chances and prioritisation of defensive duties over offensive ones. Epitomised by using Murray from the start because he offers plenty defensively..

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Play to your strengths. And stop making every attacking signing a complete gamble.

Non gambles prob cost 50m + and over 60k a week wages.

We don't pay either so we go for calculated gambles.

We've never gone over the top with signings and we are about to start our 3rd season in the Prem.

There isn't an issue , why try to make one ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So if you take on board the philosophy of the aggregate of marginal gains at the top of elite sports, that means everything has an impact on the performance of a player, no matter how small. The aggregate of these gains is what can give you the edge over your competitors. These gains will be different and personal for each player. Some will relish it, find it exciting and may well kick on. Others will not. If you believe that this should all be neutralised by pay level, and basically it is all down to the manager, then I can see why you'd say what you are saying.

A lot of the 'problems' that the last batch of newbies had to face, aren't there this Summer.

A decent off season & new manager for everybody, rather levels the playing field.

Fingers crossed the stuff away from the club is handled smoothly allowing an easier start to life in Sussex.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
We've already got half a team-worth of powderpuffs from crap leagues prior to this signing.
Could have Ali J and this bloke on the wings. Locadia up front. Our rivals will be quaking in their boots.

The only thing we appear to have going for us is a sturdy defensive unit (well, 4/5ths of it) but every mention of Potter is linked to "attacking mentality".
Play to your strengths. And stop making every attacking signing a complete gamble.

this would certainly have got us relegated this season

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

As you're ignoring the fact our team was absolutely shackled offensively. Creating very few chances and prioritisation of defensive duties over offensive ones. Epitomised by using Murray from the start because he offers plenty defensively..

I don't think our tactics shackled players like AJ last season. I think his struggle for form was a personal struggle with the gulf between the dutch league and the prem. I still think he'll come good but like a lot of the players we sign, they're investments rather than players that are premier league ready. We haven't bought anyone with premier league experience in since we got promoted, but we still complain when our signings from weaker leagues struggle to have an instant impact. People seem to want to blame Hughton's tactics for all of our problems last year, but for me our recruitment policy has to shoulder the blame for the failure of our signings to deliver immediate results.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
So if you take on board the philosophy of the aggregate of marginal gains at the top of elite sports, that means everything has an impact on the performance of a player, no matter how small. The aggregate of these gains is what can give you the edge over your competitors. These gains will be different and personal for each player. Some will relish it, find it exciting and may well kick on. Others will not. If you believe that this should all be neutralised by pay level, and basically it is all down to the manager, then I can see why you'd say what you are saying.

Countless players have commented how when they are on the pitch all the worries disappear and if they are enjoying their football it helps. If you are not enjoying your football and struggling to settle then it will be hard for any person to perform at the levels required regardless of the money.

This for me is why we changed manager as results aside too many of the squad looked like the enjoyment of the game was being strangled from them as they stuck to a rigid, one dimensional and defence minded system. Potter in comparison is all about players expressing themselves so very interested to see how the new and existing players respond to this

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I don't think our tactics shackled players like AJ last season. I think his struggle for form was a personal struggle with the gulf between the dutch league and the prem. I still think he'll come good but like a lot of the players we sign, they're investments rather than players that are premier league ready. We haven't bought anyone with premier league experience in since we got promoted, but we still complain when our signings from weaker leagues struggle to have an instant impact. People seem to want to blame Hughton's tactics for all of our problems last year, but for me our recruitment policy has to shoulder the blame for the failure of our signings to deliver immediate results.

Rude awakening awaits those who think AJ and others have been 'shackled'. It's probably true to some degree, but a minimal influence on their failings.

As you say, they may come good but the large part is them struggling to adapt to the quality and fitness of opposition.

This guy seems handy by the way, pleased.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
We've already got half a team-worth of powderpuffs from crap leagues prior to this signing.
Could have Ali J and this bloke on the wings. Locadia up front. Our rivals will be quaking in their boots.

The only thing we appear to have going for us is a sturdy defensive unit (well, 4/5ths of it) but every mention of Potter is linked to "attacking mentality".

Good to see you've written him off already.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Different debate and old ground, the moment we went expansive it fell apart IMO, because the quality of personnel were not good enough. Nothing has changed in that respect.

We had to be defensive because as [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] states that is our strength, but judging by NSC comments not what the fans want.

Hopefully, Trossard is a good step forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here