Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leandro Trossard SIGNS ON A FOUR-YEAR DEAL

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Is it just Ali J or record signings or all signings or starts or minutes, or being in the 11 or 18 ?
I think thats the thing. Ali J (but not Bernardo, Ryan, Bissouma, Gross, Propper, or Izquierdo) taking a while to start a game (even though he'd come on as sub in his first 5 out of 6 games) then becomes "Hughton never played new signings" or "he held them back" . Did he ? or is it , as ever, a lot more complicated and the actual stats don't hold up.

I think saying that the new signings didn't suit Hughton tactically and therefore they'd haven't reached their full potential is a fair argument. Not necessarily that the signings were too talented for him to manage, it's just that I'd say a lot of them aren't 'Chris Hughton' players. His system, being so rigid, relied on so much discipline that often signings weren't started week in week out as there were people (like knockaert, March) who were already used to playing the way CH wanted them to. Perhaps potter's football, being more about the players expressing themselves, will mean that new signings are thrown in right from the off. Who knows? But you can, with hindsight, certainly see why Hughton managed the new signings the way he did. Whether it was right or not, again who knows

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Strikers and forwards have to be able to defend, it is all part of the game these days, especially for bottom 6 teams. This season it will be little different or else we will be shipping loads of goals. The issue is to turn defence into attack more effectively than we did last year, we were very poor at that.

Murray, Locadia and Andone ? How many of those would start for clubs in the PL. Hey why don't we do a swap ? Swap them for Wood and Barnes of Burnley, who we need to be above. Three for the price of two. Wonder what Sean Dyche would think of that idea ?. Something printable ?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Murray, Locadia and Andone ? How many of those would start for clubs in the PL. Hey why don't we do a swap ? Swap them for Wood and Barnes of Burnley, who we need to be above. Three for the price of two. Wonder what Sean Dyche would think of that idea ?. Something printable ?

It would definitely take some of the weight off Stephens shoulders

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think saying that the new signings didn't suit Hughton tactically and therefore they'd haven't reached their full potential is a fair argument. Not necessarily that the signings were too talented for him to manage, it's just that I'd say a lot of them aren't 'Chris Hughton' players. His system, being so rigid, relied on so much discipline that often signings weren't started week in week out as there were people (like knockaert, March) who were already used to playing the way CH wanted them to. Perhaps potter's football, being more about the players expressing themselves, will mean that new signings are thrown in right from the off. Who knows? But you can, with hindsight, certainly see why Hughton managed the new signings the way he did. Whether it was right or not, again who knows

Again - knockaert started for Hughton a few days after he was signed ( a 2-0 defeat as it happened) , gross and propper were played from the outset. Bissouma and Bernardo started straightaway and then lost their places but eventually became regulars. There really isn’t a pattern.
Obviously some of the signings have worked out , some didn’t, some might have more to offer. But all Hughton’s fault - his “rigid” system (was that 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1 ?)

As for Potter being a manager who lets his players “express themselves” - I’m not sure what that means. It’s not going to become a Brazil 1970 overnight for starters.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Again - knockaert started for Hughton a few days after he was signed ( a 2-0 defeat as it happened) , gross and propper were played from the outset. Bissouma and Bernardo started straightaway and then lost their places but eventually became regulars. There really isn’t a pattern.
Obviously some of the signings have worked out , some didn’t, some might have more to offer. But all Hughton’s fault - his “rigid” system (was that 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1 ?)

As for Potter being a manager who lets his players “express themselves” - I’m not sure what that means. It’s not going to become a Brazil 1970 overnight for starters.

Yes that's true for knockaert. Remember his debut well...for all the wrong reasons , 2-0 defeat to Rotherham. Hughton certainly has a rigid system. Some do, Mourinho being another prime example. It involves high discipline and dogged work as opposed to being possession based. Potter is more or less the opposite of that. I think Potter's system allows individual players to shine well, hence why McBurnie and James stood out so much. Hughton is very concentrated on the team as a collective. I think Jahanbakhsh struggled having to be just a single cog in the machine as opposed to the go-to guy for all things creative and goalscoring, like he was in Holland. Potter certainly doesn't have the defensive rigidity that Hughton does, and that may benefit Jahanbakhsh or be the detriment of others. Or maybe Jahanbakhsh is just crap. We'll find out one way or another...

He’s crap don’t torture yourself

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well it was, but with the Orange Army on the up again, perhaps Holland will become the new Belgium very soon.

New York could become the new Amsterdam.

(One for the historians).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Looks a similar kind of player to Izquierdo from the video.

I was thinking AK with the ball skills and reluctance to pass to a team mate too often :smile:

Looks very good but how good are the defenders and keepers in those clips? Not great for the most part.

Certainly likes to get forward, so it’s a yes from me. I see he’s captain too, I wonder if he’s is vocal and chivvies, we could do with a captain like that imo.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
So any updates this morning?

Apparently we were meant to put in a second bid yesterday?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've got family who are season ticket holders at Genk.

They reckon he's shitehouse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here