Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leandro Trossard SIGNS ON A FOUR-YEAR DEAL

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yeah, and that was bloody annoying.

We were terrible and the players didn’t look bothered. Even my mate, who isn’t really a football fan, came to the Cardiff game and couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

Still, somehow, Chris turned it around and got us a few extra vital points at the end of the season.

Either way, just because we were shit, I wasn’t going to stop going. Still went up to Wolves knowing a point could be crucial and not expecting to be entertained. I went because I knew our support could help the team, and maybe it did. That’s what supporters do.

Did fans really go during the Withdean years to be entertained? Or because they wanted to help the club out as much as possible?

I think Bruno probably had more to do with getting those points than Hughton-apart from Hughton playing Bruno that is.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I agree, it was incredibly frustrating, but it still wouldn’t stop me going.

All this talk of fans not turning up because the going gets tough kills my Albion mojo a bit. I thought we had a loyal fanbase that would turn up to support the team no matter what, obviously not all our fans, but certainly the majority on here.

I'll cop up to shirking a few games last season. From January through February I went a handful of times. It was too damn cold to sit there and get pissed off watching our piss poor football. Frankly I had better things to do with my Saturdays; things that didn't involve spunking a load of money down the pub only to get angry and stomp off home in a strop.

But, my heart wasn't in it and I missed the day out. I missed seeing my mates and hanging out with my dad so I decided to go back. For the Bournemouth game. Didn't go again for the rest of the season and, if I'm perfectly honest, I was contemplating not going at all next season.

Then Chris was given the kick and my mojo came back. I cannot bloody wait for next season now not because I'm expecting great things or for us to have suddenly become a world class football team but because I won't be watching shit, slow, defensive, duller than watching paint dry Hughtonball.

Some people will call me a bad fan and, yeah, I guess that's fair. But, and I can't stress this enough: I could not give less of a shit.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But in context, he was standing inbetween managers in the season they got relegated. That's Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinner and Alan Shearer. They had 4 or 5 managers (5 if you count CH twice) in one season. It looks like he got 3 games, then 8 games at a failing team working their way through managers and backroom staff.

He was then given the job properly in the Championship, was promoted and then was 11th in his first full prem season and was sacked.

Personally I would COMPLETE discount those caretaker roles and look at what he did once he was given the job. I think everyone agrees he was unfairly sacked.

I genuinely have no idea if the sacking was fair or not just that his stats in the Premier League were played 19 won 5 drawn 4 lost 10. Which was 26.3% win ratio, the worst of all Newcastle’s Premier League managers. I have no idea of the mitigating circumstances either, although I know that he is very well regarded by Newcastle fans. I just thought it was interesting.

Best win % of Newcastle managers in Premier League era
Games Wins Draws Losses Win %
Kevin Keegan 162 83 36 43 51.2
Sir Bobby Robson 188 83 51 54 44.1
Glenn Roeder 52 21 11 20 40.4
Alan Pardew 155 58 34 63 37.4
Kenny Dalglish 56 19 19 18 33.9
Sam Allardyce 21 7 5 9 33.3
Rafael Benitez 86 27 21 38 31.4
Graeme Souness 56 16 17 23 28.6
Ruud Gullit 41 11 12 18 26.8
Chris Hughton 19 5 4 10 26.3

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

All this talk of fans not turning up because the going gets tough kills my Albion mojo a bit. I thought we had a loyal fanbase that would turn up to support the team no matter what, obviously not all our fans, but certainly the majority on here.

From my perspective it had nothing to do with the going getting tough, it was the complete lack of ambition in most games towards the end. I have seen us when we were absolute shit and it didn’t ever make me question whether I’d go or not. I was at that point with CH’s tactics by the end of last season though.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Not everybody who supports The Albion live locally. Many of us have moved away for our own reasons. Not going every week has nothing to do with when the going gets tough. Many of us were STH at Gillingham-that was when the going was tough. Last season I simply couldn't face Hughton's brand of football every week-it was killing my mojo that's for sure!

We all support The Albion in our own ways. Sometimes that means staying away to avoid adding to the negativity at games.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
How do you feel about Will Buckley, now you can look back on him? Ultimately disappointing after a brilliant start, no? ?

its going off topic but I cant have that. Near 100 appearances and 20 goals . The excitement he brought at times was something many had rarely witnessed ,

His injury record was frustrating but a poor signing - No Way

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
From my perspective it had nothing to do with the going getting tough, it was the complete lack of ambition in most games towards the end. I have seen us when we were absolute shit and it didn’t ever make me question whether I’d go or not. I was at that point with CH’s tactics by the end of last season though.

For me it was the fact that no matter who we played we set up to at best draw. Bournemouth was a disgrace and I really struggled after that!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I genuinely have no idea if the sacking was fair or not just that his stats in the Premier League were played 19 won 5 drawn 4 lost 10. Which was 26.3% win ratio, the worst of all Newcastle’s Premier League managers. I have no idea of the mitigating circumstances either, although I know that he is very well regarded by Newcastle fans. I just thought it was interesting.

The mitigating circumstances are that you have included the 4 games he took over as caretaker at the end of the season they got relegated. He then went on a record Championship winning season, then his PL record as the full time manager was same as Benitez:
P16 W5 D4 L7 31.3%
In those 16 games they scored 24 goals the 5th highest in the league.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I could accept the poor football as long as we won, in the belief that we would transform the squad and tactics in future transfer windows.

But the combination of crap football and home defeats against lowly opposition, was the crushing blow.

Bang on. Once the home record totally went then it got hard to take

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It became more of a case of trying to drink so much that you couldn't remember the football afterwards !!
I still can't remember the 1st half v Newcastle ! That was a late kick off drinking fest. I'm told we were abysmal.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Has he singed yet?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Those stats for Hughton don't make sense to me at all as 19 is neither the number of games he had as permanent manager or in total (perm+caretaker/temp)

At the time of sacking, CH had 5 wins in 16 games that prem season. A win% of 31.25% in the prem.

He was only a temporary manager for Newcastle prior to that, and if we are including temp managers then people like Joe Kinnear and Alan Shearer need to be included in your table, who obviously have awful win %'s.

CH's win % and placing of 11th at the time of sacking is not bad for a team having come up.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I still can't remember the 1st half v Newcastle ! That was a late kick off drinking fest. I'm told we were abysmal.
I was sat very near Warren; at the end of the first half he turned to another commentator (not JC), off mic, saying "Sh*t. We're sh*t"

That was a reasonable summary if arguably a little underplayed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here