Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leandro Trossard SIGNS ON A FOUR-YEAR DEAL

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The problem with these signings that we would 'like to make' is that annoyingly, the player gets a say in it.

Yeah...

"Listen mate; it's Man Utd and the chance to play at Old Trafford, or Brighton and the realistic chance of getting relegated. That and Utd will pay loads more a week, and you'll likely remain a regular at international level..."

BUT you get to play for your old boss (of one season) at Brighton...

Taxi to Manchester it is then.

It's impossible to blame anyone therein, in spite of the chance of not making it, it's still a chance any young 'hot property' is likely to take... I would.

el punal

Bit unfair.

Locadia was injured for a month then played vs Coventry and picked up a niggle.
AJ was behind everyone fitness wise and hasn’t looked fit at any point during the season (at least match fit).
Izquierdo immediately came on at Watford and got a run in the team shortly afterwards.

Perhaps having seen them in training Hughton didn’t feel they were up to it?

Arguably in the case of Locadia and (so far) AJ his judgement has been spot on IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course there are many legitimate reasons (as you’ve described) as to why these players were not selected. But, as a fan and a spectator, you look at it from a different perspective. The club make a big announcement that such and such a player has been signed, everyone’s excited, watch past YouTube clips of amazing feats, the player holding up the shirt . . . then nothing, a no show for weeks, months even. That’s the frustrating thing, unfair or not. We are fans after all and we want instant gratification.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The majority of Burnley's signings over the last 4 years have been the rising stars of the Championship. They go for proven hungry players based in Britain (not necessarily British) who have proven themselves settled and having the right attributes. Bournemouth also have a good mix of buying UK based players as well as looking abroad.

Where we have gone wrong I feel isn't buying a foreign player, it is making ALL our signings from outside the UK. I think this may change if we are looking at the likes of Clarke now, and strike a balance between foreign signings who have the whole settling into a new country etc. (@Stat Brother can give you the full run down of reasons they may not perform...) and those players proven at competing in the UK and the English leagues.

Well so far this window it’s 50:50 ! And agreed to a point (Bournemouth and Burnley make as many transfer clangers) - but that wasn’t the point of the OP - it was that signing Trossard was by definition a mistake. Presumably because he was a Belgian winger who has had a successful season in a foreign league.
Also nonsense to say that you’re only proven and hungry if you’re from the EFL etc

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Suggest you read the thread responses. Plenty of explanation given, are you adding to the debate or do you not feel clever enough [emoji6][emoji2]

i find it absolutely ridiculous to gauge an individual based on a perceived judgement of others

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
i find it absolutely ridiculous to gauge an individual based on a perceived judgement of others

And the signings from the Dutch league?
Do you feel we are getting quality and VFM?

Of course each player should be judged on their merits, but if it is in a lower standard, does that not come into it?

Just a discussion [emoji2]

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
And the signings from the Dutch league?
Do you feel we are getting quality and VFM?

Of course each player should be judged on their merits, but if it is in a lower standard, does that not come into it?

Just a discussion [emoji2]

i'm holding my counsel until after magic arry potter's waved is magic wand

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well so far this window it’s 50:50 ! And agreed to a point (Bournemouth and Burnley make as many transfer clangers) - but that wasn’t the point of the OP - it was that signing Trossard was by definition a mistake. Presumably because he was a Belgian winger who has had a successful season in a foreign league.
Also nonsense to say that you’re only proven and hungry if you’re from the EFL etc

The clangers are countered by those signings that are more settled. It is not nonsense to say that a player that is already living in the UK or from here and has experienced football in this country doesn't have the worries of settling and getting used to a new country, the risk of them not settling is reduced. In regard to your misreading of them being proven or hungry, that is only in respect of them coping with the demands of football here, and clearly I wasn't saying that as being exclusive.

I took what [MENTION=4934]One Teddy Maybank[/MENTION] as saying is that we already have a stable of recruits that have shone from lessor European leagues and have failed to step up to the PL level, and that it is a worry if we continue to do so. I'd like to feel we can now balance these signings out a bit. Like calling what I was saying nonsense, which you have jumped on and misread, I feel you've read too much into what the OP said too.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The clangers are countered by those signings that are more settled. It is not nonsense to say that a player that is already living in the UK or from here and has experienced football in this country doesn't have the worries of settling and getting used to a new country, the risk of them not settling is reduced. In regard to your misreading of them being proven or hungry, that is only in respect of them coping with the demands of football here, and clearly I wasn't saying that as being exclusive.

I took what [MENTION=4934]One Teddy Maybank[/MENTION] as saying is that we already have a stable of recruits that have shone from lessor European leagues and have failed to step up to the PL level, and that it is a worry if we continue to do so. I'd like to feel we can now balance these signings out a bit. Like calling what I was saying nonsense, which you have jumped on and misread, I feel you've read too much into what the OP said too.

Settling jn to a new country and league are clearly factors in how players adapt/succeed. You are right to call them out. And apols for saying anything is “nonsense” Overblown rhetoric for a Tuesday morning. Sorry.
Not sure I agree at all that proven and hungry are only English/ league attributes though.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yes not said anything to the contrary, I feel more excited about this signing - just a feeling

Trossard might be our Hazard or the next 'last season's Ali J' Who knows? We may end up with both of them having great seasons. All down to the management and the coaching they get I suppose.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Yeah...

"Listen mate; it's Man Utd and the chance to play at Old Trafford, or Brighton and the realistic chance of getting relegated. That and Utd will pay loads more a week, and you'll likely remain a regular at international level..."

BUT you get to play for your old boss (of one season) at Brighton...

Taxi to Manchester it is then.

It's impossible to blame anyone therein, in spite of the chance of not making it, it's still a chance any young 'hot property' is likely to take... I would.

Agree 100% however we have (almost ) signed a player for less, almost certainly less on wages, for a player with similar potential (maybe) We could have a bargain or a duffer......a situation not unlike United, whoever we sign from a ' lower ' league is a gamble, British, Belgium, Dutch ect ect

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Trossard might be our Hazard or the next 'last season's Ali J' Who knows? We may end up with both of them having great seasons. All down to the management and the coaching they get I suppose.

Also down to natural talent and ability to adapt to a higher standard of football.

Slow players generally do not gain pace overnight.

Gross flew from the start as he has natural ability and great technique, which masks his lack of pace.

Suttner great technique but was in a position that demanded pace so has struggled.

Bernardo struggled to adapt. Hughton got his introduction ‘bang on’ IMO.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

He actually cannot be any worse than Ali J (0 goals, 0 assists), he can be as bad but not worse.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Of course there are many legitimate reasons (as you’ve described) as to why these players were not selected. But, as a fan and a spectator, you look at it from a different perspective. The club make a big announcement that such and such a player has been signed, everyone’s excited, watch past YouTube clips of amazing feats, the player holding up the shirt . . . then nothing, a no show for weeks, months even. That’s the frustrating thing, unfair or not. We are fans after all and we want instant gratification.

Agree with all of that.
Just highlighting and defending some of the comments which are (unfairly IMO), being aimed in Hughton’s direction, when there were justifiable reasons.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Settling jn to a new country and league are clearly factors in how players adapt/succeed. You are right to call them out. And apols for saying anything is “nonsense” Overblown rhetoric for a Tuesday morning. Sorry.
Not sure I agree at all that proven and hungry are only English/ league attributes though.

No that's cool; on the proven thing, not proven and hungry as attributes of English Leagues, proven and hungry within the experience of English Leagues. I don't doubt players are proven and hungry from elsewhere, but it has a greater chance of doubt that it transfers into the demands of the English game without experience of it. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just more risk it might not.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Trossard is on a plane to Brighton right now. Source; the instagram story, of new Mrs Trossard

DB455E69-C3E7-4B30-A4FC-3A4105132CB8.png

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I don't get this settling into a new country and league as being a factor. I left the UK aged 23 and emigrated to Canada. I wasn't earning anything like footballers earn but for me it was an exciting time of my life. I loved the experience despite having a normal job and normal income. Becoming a multi millionaire doing something you love for a few hours a week in a new country should need zero settling in time. As for the different league: possibly but it didn't seem to bother the likes of De Bruyne, Hazard and dozens more. Hopefully our man Trossard does as well as they've done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here