Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leandro Trossard SIGNS ON A FOUR-YEAR DEAL

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good post. Much as I liked and admired Chris Hughton I found it so frustrating that when we brought in any “star” players they had to be bedded in to get used to our system. It would be months before we actually saw them play, and even then it would some cup tie or a cameo substitute performance with 10 minutes left in the game.

Bit unfair.

Locadia was injured for a month then played vs Coventry and picked up a niggle.
AJ was behind everyone fitness wise and hasn’t looked fit at any point during the season (at least match fit).
Izquierdo immediately came on at Watford and got a run in the team shortly afterwards.

Perhaps having seen them in training Hughton didn’t feel they were up to it?

Arguably in the case of Locadia and (so far) AJ his judgement has been spot on IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It’s hilarious people think we shouldn’t sign players from a specific league because they think a few examples playing at Brighton means their generalisation is correct.

Understand what you are saying, and there will always be exceptions.

But equally should you continue repeating the same mistake?

Funnily enough, I feel more confident in Trossard than I do Locadia or AJ.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think, for the money he cost, Izquierdo could yet turn out to be a very unsuccessful signing.
Wondergoals v West Ham (2) and Stoke kept us in the PL didn't they ? So for the money gained it's been a pretty successful one.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hopefully Villa will make the same mistake this season. They have to replace a shitload of players released

Yes, good call.
I always felt they were PL ready in many ways, but they seem to be in for a number of players.

You never know, we may play ‘expansive’ and manage to survive [emoji6]
I was very buoyed by the Rafa news yesterday.....

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Understand what you are saying, and there will always be exceptions.

But equally should you continue repeating the same mistake?

Funnily enough, I feel more confident in Trossard than I do Locadia or AJ.

What’s the mistake ? Buying a foreign player ? Really ? I buying a player from Belgium / then Ryan, Knockaert, Izquierdo were ok. If it’s buying a Belgian then Pocognoli turned out fine.
The idea that Albion or any prem clubs are going to abandon or should stop looking at the Dutch/Belgian/french European leagues for players just because locadia or Ali j have struggled. It’s not going to happen.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
What’s the mistake ? Buying a foreign player ? Really ? I buying a player from Belgium / then Ryan, Knockaert, Izquierdo were ok. If it’s buying a Belgian then Pocognoli turned out fine.
The idea that Albion or any prem clubs are going to abandon or should stop looking at the Dutch/Belgian/french European leagues for players just because locadia or Ali j have struggled. It’s not going to happen.

I think Potter would have like to have signed the winger he worked with at Swansea who went to United for 20 million, we are paying under that for a player with similar potential. James may fail at United who knows and we may have a bargain signing........exciting times.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Leandro Trossard

Buying from the Dutch league specifically. There are exceptions, but in recent years fewer successes.

There is better value and quality in Germany (see Gross and Bernardo), and the standard is similar to the PL.

Similarly the French and Portuguese leagues are of a better standard, not to mention Serie A )but less value).

Picking on your examples:
Ryan is ok but from Valencia after a season on loan in Belgium.
Izquierdo - really? (Fence for me).
Pocognolli - loaned from a PL team, so had experience in this country - wasn’t our gamble it was WBA’s. Also apparently deemed not good enough.

Knockaert? I love Knockaert.....
Edit - we also knew Knockaert could play in this country from his time at Leicester

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The majority of Burnley's signings over the last 4 years have been the rising stars of the Championship. They go for proven hungry players based in Britain (not necessarily British) who have proven themselves settled and having the right attributes. Bournemouth also have a good mix of buying UK based players as well as looking abroad.

Where we have gone wrong I feel isn't buying a foreign player, it is making ALL our signings from outside the UK. I think this may change if we are looking at the likes of Clarke now, and strike a balance between foreign signings who have the whole settling into a new country etc. ( [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] can give you the full run down of reasons they may not perform...) and those players proven at competing in the UK and the English leagues.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The majority of Burnley's their signings over the last 4 years have been the rising stars of the Championship. They go for proven hungry players based in Britain (not necessarily British) who have proven themselves settled and having the right attributes. Bournemouth also have a good mix of buying UK based players as well as looking abroad.

Where we have gone wrong I feel isn't buying a foreign player, it is making ALL our signings from outside the UK. I think this may change if we are looking at the likes of Clarke now, and strike a balance between foreign signings who have the whole settling into a new country etc. (@stat brother can give you the full run down of reasons they may not perform...) and those players proven at competing in the UK and the English leagues.

Good post.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think Potter would have like to have signed the winger he worked with at Swansea who went to United for 20 million, .

The problem with these signings that we would 'like to make' is that annoyingly, the player gets a say in it.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

people like saying it, they feel clever

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here