Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leandro Trossard SIGNS ON A FOUR-YEAR DEAL

Genkie

Jun 15, 2019
The Belgian & Dutch leagues (with possible exception of Ajax) are lower level Championship / top L1 standard.

Just because somebody has been tearing up those leagues they do not a PL player make (as Ali J & Locadia have proved).

Even Davy Propper, who is a class above those two, looked decidedly iffy last season after having a good start.

Some day the penny will drop (I hope)
A quick response to this ...

Over the last few years, we sold a few players for 10m+. Amongst them Milinkovic-Savic, Wilfred Ndidi and Leon Bailey.

Coming close to 10m+ are Courtois, De Bruyne, Benteke, Koulibaly, Kabasele and Castagne lately. In comparison to other Belgian clubs, none have produced so much talent in such a short period of time. I think it''s fair to say they are all doing well.

Of the current team, some contenders to 10m+ transfers are Trossard, Malinovskyi, Berge, Samatta, Lucumi and Maehle. We've built a strong squad over the years, reaching a climax this year. We're at the end of a cycle and will need to build a new squad to not be humiliated in the Champions League and to reach a top-3 spot in the league next season. Too bad Trossard will be leaving ...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I can feel it in my balls that we will hear something today.

And my balls never lie.

How does that testicular feeling manifest? A tingle? An itch? Something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Could be bad news if it's true that Arsenal are no longer after Carrasco as too expensive. That could mean them now coming in for Trossard, which is what a lot of their fans want anyway.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Over the last few years, we sold a few players for 10m+. Amongst them Milinkovic-Savic, Wilfred Ndidi and Leon Bailey.

Coming close to 10m+ are Courtois, De Bruyne, Benteke, Koulibaly, Kabasele and Castagne lately. In comparison to other Belgian clubs, none have produced so much talent in such a short period of time. I think it''s fair to say they are all doing well.

Of the current team, some contenders to 10m+ transfers are Trossard, Malinovskyi, Berge, Samatta, Lucumi and Maehle. We've built a strong squad over the years, reaching a climax this year. We're at the end of a cycle and will need to build a new squad to not be humiliated in the Champions League and to reach a top-3 spot in the league next season. Too bad Trossard will be leaving ...

Wow, you have brought through some very good players :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Thank you very much for posting and welcome. I've had a look at Trossard's youtube highlights for last season, and he looks a fine player, with a low centre of gravity, strength, the ability to go either way and tricky. He seems to have a good shot and makes the right decisions.
Would you agree with, subtract, amend or add to that assessment? And also, from what I saw he didn't have explosive pace (we have Izquierdo here, and I'd put him in that category) although he's fairly rapid -- can you confirm your view on that too please?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

If you are a native of Belgium then your English is superb.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm sure when most of the boo-boys have a problem with their boiler, they flick through Yellow Pages, get a sparkie round only to moan that his plumbing is shitehouse.

Anyway that's all academic now.

I'm beginning to think it's the price tag our 'fans' can't cope with.
As a new record signing is likely to arrive, this summer, all previous record holders will get a freer pass while we have to read whining like:-

'well for that kind of money (not a lot) I expect him to jizz gold dust'.

Agreed but let's also put in perspective the fees being talked about are more than double our record:

Liverpool have been told by Barcelona they can make a move for France forward Ousmane Dembele, but only if they pay more than £90m for the 22-year-old.

Manchester United have had a bid rising to £50m rejected by Crystal Palace for English right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka, 21.

United have also had a £40m bid for West Ham and France under-21 defender Issa Diop turned down. The bid included an unnamed United player going the other way.

Crazy money!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Agreed but let's also put in perspective the fees being talked about are more than double our record:

Liverpool have been told by Barcelona they can make a move for France forward Ousmane Dembele, but only if they pay more than £90m for the 22-year-old.

Manchester United have had a bid rising to £50m rejected by Crystal Palace for English right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka, 21.

United have also had a £40m bid for West Ham and France under-21 defender Issa Diop turned down. The bid included an unnamed United player going the other way.

Crazy money!

What if the Palace player wants to go, and why wouldn’t he? Unhappy players are poison in a club. The money is mental and I find it hard to believe that Palace would turn it down when push comes to shove.

Can you see us keeping any player if United came in for them for decent money, I can’t.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What if the Palace player wants to go, and why wouldn’t he? Unhappy players are poison in a club

Utd offered £35m with add ons up to £50m.
Unsurprisingly the fly by night chancers want the full half a stand up front.

Seemingly Utd will grant their wish.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What if the Palace player wants to go, and why wouldn’t he? Unhappy players are poison in a club. The money is mental and I find it hard to believe that Palace would turn it down when push comes to shove.

Can you see us keeping any player if United came in for them for decent money, I can’t.

That isn't what I said.
My comment was more about our record fee being £17M and some people's expectations compared to the ridiculous fees being bandied about.

I am sure we wouldn't turn down an offer like those. The premier league already has clubs paying more on player costs than income and that is surely the path to administration.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That isn't what I said
My comment was more about our record fee being £17M and some people's expectations compared to the ridiculous fees being bandied about.

I am sure we wouldn't turn down an offer like those. The premier league already has clubs paying more on player costs than income and that is surely the path to administration.

Apologies, I cherry picked part of your post and went off topic, sadly I seem to do that too often

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Crazy money!

Yet seemingly some of our boo-boys can't cope with a piffling £17m outlay.

If Mr Tony gets his wish we're going to need to shed some old fans with their athletics stadium mentality PDQ.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Apropos of nothing, the transfer fees being discussed get crazier every summer. This morning - £60 million for Issa Diop of West Ham!

Most people thought £30 mill for Dunk not far off the mark but in this period of football hyperinflation £40 million might look cheap come 1st July.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Apropos of nothing, the transfer fees being discussed get crazier every summer. This morning - £60 million for Issa Diop of West Ham!

Most people thought £30 mill for Dunk not far off the mark but in this period of football hyperinflation £40 million might look cheap come 1st July.

Was thinking that myself, the big boys are almost spending what we make per year on one player!

Genkie

Jun 15, 2019
Thank you very much for posting and welcome. I've had a look at Trossard's youtube highlights for last season, and he looks a fine player, with a low centre of gravity, strength, the ability to go either way and tricky. He seems to have a good shot and makes the right decisions.
Would you agree with, subtract, amend or add to that assessment? And also, from what I saw he didn't have explosive pace (we have Izquierdo here, and I'd put him in that category) although he's fairly rapid -- can you confirm your view on that too please?
I like to think of him as our mini-Hazard. Obviously not nearly as strong one on one, but has the same characteristics in his play. I don't know if there is a word for it but in Dutch we like to call them 'flitsenvoetballer', a player who relies on moments of genious. He also has the same technique of running as Hazard. Your description is pretty accurate.

The issue Trossard faces is that he needs to improve his presence during the game. Often he is invisible for 80 minutes and decides the game in the last 10 minutes with a smart cross ball. I think it is fair to say that he is also strong in the defensive kind of play. If you would not know him you'd think he is our central defender sometimes. Guess he has learned to take that responsibility over the years.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here