Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To Avoid Potter Bashing - the staying up tracker - season 2019-2020 Game 38 UPDATE

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Going by the teams below us and their fixtures, I don’t see them picking up enough points to go above us if we stay on 33. Well, Watford might, but I don’t see us losing every game and I wouldn’t be surprised if we won at least 3.

So, I think we are staying up already :O

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Going by the teams below us and their fixtures, I don’t see them picking up enough points to go above us if we stay on 33. Well, Watford might, but I don’t see us losing every game and I wouldn’t be surprised if we won at least 3.

So, I think we are staying up already :O

I don’t mean to be a party pooper, BUT.....

The last day of the season is on my birthday, and I don’t have a good record on my birthday, I never get what I want, usually there is an argument or fight, and then I go to bed early in a sulk......

Plus remember this is the Albion, we are on about, we always do things the hard way, and we’ve started as though “we’ve got this”....... in reality, we never fail to surprise or surpass previous deeds......

I fully expect relegation will, come down to Sunday 26th when Maupay smashes in another 95th minute winner at Burnley just as an airplane flies over the ground trailing a banner “Freakouts Birthday Matters, love the Brighton squad” to condemn Villa and Bournemouth along with already relegated Norwich.......

A boy can dream.....

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I don’t mean to be a party pooper, BUT.....

The last day of the season is on my birthday, and I don’t have a good record on my birthday, I never get what I want, usually there is an argument or fight, and then I go to bed early in a sulk......

Plus remember this is the Albion, we are on about, we always do things the hard way, and we’ve started as though “we’ve got this”....... in reality, we never fail to surprise or surpass previous deeds......

I fully expect relegation will, come down to Sunday 26th when Maupay smashes in another 95th minute winner at Burnley just as an airplane flies over the ground trailing a banner “Freakouts Birthday Matters, love the Brighton squad” to condemn Villa and Bournemouth along with already relegated Norwich.......

A boy can dream.....

Would love to see Bournemouth and Villa go down, think we’ll be leaving them, Watford and West Ham to worry about going down on the last day though.

Although, your scenario would be sweet, but also incredibly risky :D

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes you are quite right. I have given myself a good talking to, so here you go.

Just one point behind now, the closest we have been since 1st February. Lovely stuff. On tonight's first half form, I wouldn't bet against us getting a result against Man Utd either.

Those last 3 blues are very impressive. We all felt very flat after the Palace debacle, but 5 points from Wolves and Leicester away, Arsenal home is a very very impressive return from the team, full of fight, resilience and a fair bit of playing well too.

We've turned the ManUtd game into a free hit, we're playing with a bit of confidence, agree may well get something from that too.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Also I hadn’t really picked up on the fact we have only lost one of our last 7 games. There was so much noise about us not winning in 2020 that fact has been overlooked. All those draws do start to add up and are why we are where we are.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Also I hadn’t really picked up on the fact we have only lost one of our last 7 games. There was so much noise about us not winning in 2020 that fact has been overlooked. All those draws do start to add up and are why we are where we are.

You’re quite right, 6 points above West Ham and Bournemouth, 6 more draws than both of them. Also you can see it in our play, we believed last night we could go to Leicester and take the game to them, which we did, but when the tide turned you could see we were also going to fight for every ball to earn a point. Trossard was a terrier when he came on, from down defending our box to supporting up front. Summed up how much this team are prepared to give. Even when it was getting to bleak predictions after Palace, I still felt the spirit has been very good. Give Potter his credit, they’ve come back with a few new ideas, fresh impetus, and from what I’ve seen we’re one of the teams that has used the down time to really good affect.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
You’re quite right, 6 points above West Ham and Bournemouth, 6 more draws than both of them. Also you can see it in our play, we believed last night we could go to Leicester and take the game to them, which we did, but when the tide turned you could see we were also going to fight for every ball to earn a point. Trossard was a terrier when he came on, from down defending our box to supporting up front. Summed up how much this team are prepared to give. Even when it was getting to bleak predictions after Palace, I still felt the spirit has been very good. Give Potter his credit, they’ve come back with a few new ideas, fresh impetus, and from what I’ve seen we’re one of the teams that has used the down time to really good affect.

Good point well made. Add the fact that we now have another serious quality attacking midfielder in MacAllister and have an exciting dynamo in Lamptey and I think it points to a good conclusion to this season and an exciting next season.

TNBA

TTF

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I thought we needed two wins and two draws - 8 points - post lockdown to be comfortable.

We're halfway there and I suspect the only thing that will lead to trouble will be if the players think we've done enough already. I don't think they will. Potter has been excellent tactically and motivationally.

Some teams have struggled mentally to deal with the rather different challenge that empty stadia offer. West Ham, Burnley, Sheffield. We have been on it.

If we keep up this form, we should pick up points against Norwich, Newcastle, Burnley, Southampton. The other games are free hits. United have to play twice before we play them next Tuesday, and given the heat tonight and the increased role fitness is playing, that could be to our advantage.

PG

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Revised predicted finish after tonight's games:

15 - Brighton 39
16 - Watford 39
17 - West Ham 38
----------------------------
18 - Bournemouth 33
19 - Aston Villa 32
20 Norwich 31

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

15 - Brighton 39
16 - Watford 39
17 - West Ham 38
18 - Bournemouth 33
19 - Aston Villa 32
20 Norwich 31

You do realise you are predicting we are safe already?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

15 - Brighton 39
16 - Watford 39
17 - West Ham 38
18 - Bournemouth 33
19 - Aston Villa 32
20 Norwich 31
*Like*

It won't be far off that I think.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

15 - Brighton 39
16 - Watford 39
17 - West Ham 38
18 - Bournemouth 33
19 - Aston Villa 32
20 Norwich 31

Pretty much what I said, although I think we will get 42 points and West Ham with a few less.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Potter has been excellent tactically and motivationally.

I have been wondering whether Graham Potter has already done a lot of things that he needed to do to best equip his squad during the window that the break has given him. All the analysis of his style and the interviews with him that I have read seem to focus on his wanting to maximise the opportunities of each individual, focusing on making yourself the best equipped you can be to achieve personal bests. If this approach has been applied during lockdown, I would think that he and his coaching team would have been in regular contact with each squad member supporting them to achieve bespoke programmes, before coming back together to focus on joint objectives.

I also suspect that his open-mindedness and imaginative approach to managing a group would have been a strength in unprecedented circumstances. There have been a couple of comments from players about the amount of hard work they have all done in the window and one thing that seems already apparent is Aaron Connolly looking a little stronger and more difficult to push around in the game and a bit he has played so far.

The potential advantages available to a manager allowed to make more changes have obviously been given consideration and Potter seems like he will seek to maximise these and make wide use of the whole squad in what has pretty much become tournament football. The squad looks better equipped than some others to cope with the games coming around so quickly. You would think that, until he gets suspended, Dunk will play all games, and that, if fit Ryan will play, but everyone else is probably interchangeable with someone of a similar standard. In the present circumstances, this would seem to be preferable to having a very good first eleven and weaker backup players.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I have been wondering whether Graham Potter has already done a lot of things that he needed to do to best equip his squad during the window that the break has given him. All the analysis of his style and the interviews with him that I have read seem to focus on his wanting to maximise the opportunities of each individual, focusing on making yourself the best equipped you can be to achieve personal bests. If this approach has been applied during lockdown, I would think that he and his coaching team would have been in regular contact with each squad member supporting them to achieve bespoke programmes, before coming back together to focus on joint objectives.

I also suspect that his open-mindedness and imaginative approach to managing a group would have been a strength in unprecedented circumstances. There have been a couple of comments from players about the amount of hard work they have all done in the window and one thing that seems already apparent is Aaron Connolly looking a little stronger and more difficult to push around in the game and a bit he has played so far.

The potential advantages available to a manager allowed to make more changes have obviously been given consideration and Potter seems like he will seek to maximise these and make wide use of the whole squad in what has pretty much become tournament football. The squad looks better equipped than some others to cope with the games coming around so quickly. You would think that, until he gets suspended, Dunk will play all games, and that, if fit Ryan will play, but everyone else is probably interchangeable with someone of a similar standard. In the present circumstances, this would seem to be preferable to having a very good first eleven and weaker backup players.

Our squad is very competitive, We have 1 great goalkeeper plus the captain and then a squad full of players who can compete. None of our substitutions particularly strengthen or weaken us allowing Potter to pick a side based on tactics and formation. Equally as fans we can never agree on a line up so I think a compressed season of 9 games in 30-40 days works in our favour over several other squads. I expect to see most players rotated in and out of line ups and match day squads over the remaining games

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Or, West Ham carry on being awful, ending on similar points to Villa and Bmuff.

I did the predictor thing after the Arsenal game. Came up with a pretty similar outcome EXCEPT West Ham did a lot worse and it came down to the last day for them and Villa.

I had us losing to Leicester btw. Tried to be as unbiased and realistic as possible. But 33/34 points was enough to stay up (and we finished 15th).

I've had another look and I really cannot see where the points can come from for 2 of West Ham / Plucky / Villa (plus Watford who will be safe) to overtake us.

No chickens counted, but we are in the driving seat now and I completely agree with what a Stato has said re Potter and the preparations by the coaches and the squad. :albion2:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I did the predictor thing after the Arsenal game. Came up with a pretty similar outcome EXCEPT West Ham did a lot worse and it came down to the last day for them and Villa.

I had us losing to Leicester btw. Tried to be as unbiased and realistic as possible. But 33/34 points was enough to stay up (and we finished 15th).

I've had another look and I really cannot see where the points can come from for 2 of West Ham / Plucky / Villa (plus Watford who will be safe) to overtake us.

No chickens counted, but we are in the driving seat now and I completely agree with what a Stato has said re Potter and the preparations by the coaches and the squad. :albion2:

The West Ham thing is interesting because they have Villa and Watford at home. That therefore means this prediction method gives West Ham 3 points in both, and a point for the others.

Therefore if West Ham don't win there is a swing away from them. Their survival more or less rests on them winning one or both. They are also predicted to beat Burnley at home, so I'd say they are sitting above the relegation zone cacking themselves based on current form. Just not sure Bournemouth or Villa are good enough to catch them.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

15 - Brighton 39
16 - Watford 39
17 - West Ham 38
18 - Bournemouth 33
19 - Aston Villa 32
20 Norwich 31

One of the best things about this is that only 1 of our remaining 7 games is a predicted 3 pointer.
Not much scope to drop expected points and multiple opportunities to recover some.

Also of the Predicted points above 5 of the games are 4 pointers (including one of ours)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I also feel that the last day West Ham v Villa could be pivotal. There's going to be tears. Hopefully with us well out of the picture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here