Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Universal Credit

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Now I like to think I’m a reasonably intelligent man (being on these boards may indicate otherwise).

My granddaughter has just left college at age 19, she has mild learning difficulties and zero understanding as to how life works.

She wants to get an apprenticeship in a nursery, but places are limited, so I explained to her the process of “signing on”.... wooah how out of touch am I.

Gone are the days of going into a job centre and saying “Gi’ us a job” - now before you can even get through the door of a job centre you have to register online for a Universal Credit account - there’s no longer claims for job seekers, has to be UC.

As her DWP appointee I thought, go online and get a phone number. Got the number for JobCentre Plus and after going through the press 1 for this press 2 for that discovered I couldn’t do anything unless I set her up with a UC account.

I can say, with little hesitation, that my granddaughter would not have understood how to fill out the form, even if she had had the idea to do so.

Account created, great - we just need to verify your online identity.

I then get bounced to the Experian website, which then proceeded to ask a list of questions for things that many 19 year old won’t have - passport, driving licence, citizen card, etc... suffice to say I couldn’t provide them with the information. So now she has to go for a face to face interview to prove her identity... that’s before they will even consider her UC claim!

When did these things become so difficult and why? How do people manage, with mental health issues, who haven’t got a granddad to fall back on for help.

The system REALLY is shit...

Can’t wait for the interview when I say I want to attend and help her with her answers, as she would just say “yes” to everything!

Rant over...

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
I'm pretty sure it's all incentivised to make it as difficult as possible to get money. It'll only be considered a success if the total cost decreases and I assume those implementing it have targets to ensure that success is achieved. The fact that it puts massive pressure on those least able to withstand it is a price they're willing to pay. And the government can always fallback on giving stories to the Mail, Torygraph and Channel 5 about the small minority of "spongers" who play the system to deflect attention from where the system is failing people in genuine need.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Now I like to think I’m a reasonably intelligent man (being on these boards may indicate otherwise).

My granddaughter has just left college at age 19, she has mild learning difficulties and zero understanding as to how life works.

She wants to get an apprenticeship in a nursery, but places are limited, so I explained to her the process of “signing on”.... wooah how out of touch am I.

Gone are the days of going into a job centre and saying “Gi’ us a job” - now before you can even get through the door of a job centre you have to register online for a Universal Credit account - there’s no longer claims for job seekers, has to be UC.

As her DWP appointee I thought, go online and get a phone number. Got the number for JobCentre Plus and after going through the press 1 for this press 2 for that discovered I couldn’t do anything unless I set her up with a UC account.

Try the Fed, Centre for Independent Living [link]

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'm pretty sure it's all incentivised to make it as difficult as possible to get money. It'll only be considered a success if the total cost decreases and I assume those implementing it have targets to ensure that success is achieved. The fact that it puts massive pressure on those least able to withstand it is a price they're willing to pay. And the government can always fallback on giving stories to the Mail, Torygraph and Channel 5 about the small minority of "spongers" who play the system to deflect attention from where the system is failing people in genuine need.

Yep, those that suffer being sanctioned (money stopped) are most frequently those with mental health issues, who often struggle to meet their own basic needs, let alone this beaucratic, ill-conceived, ideological nonsense!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

I can say, with little hesitation, that my granddaughter would not have understood how to fill out the form, even if she had had the idea to do so.

I then get bounced to the Experian website, which then proceeded to ask a list of questions for things that many 19 year old won’t have - passport, driving licence, citizen card, etc... suffice to say I couldn’t provide them with the information. So now she has to go for a face to face interview to prove her identity... that’s before they will even consider her UC claim!

When did these things become so difficult and why? How do people manage, with mental health issues, who haven’t got a granddad to fall back on for help.

Can’t wait for the interview when I say I want to attend and help her with her answers, as she would just say “yes” to everything!

Rant over...

She's lucky to have you. :thumbsup:

It's not just UC that is unnecessarily difficult (though I'm sure it is made deliberately hard). I've had cause recently to us a a few different 'digital identity' solutions in conjunction with accessing a number of local govt services and the experience has been - and I say this as a literate, intelligent, moderately patient, computer savvy desk-monkey - a kafkaesque head****.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thanks for that, unfortunately we don’t reside in the Brighton area - I will look to see if there is something similar in Kent.

Maybe try them - they'll probably have a directory of similar organisations in bordering areas.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Rant over...

That's UC for you, make it so hard to claim that people won't do it. A totally broken idea yet the Tories won't stop the implementation

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Thanks for that, unfortunately we don’t reside in the Brighton area - I will look to see if there is something similar in Kent.

Ah, okay, good luck.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That's UC for you, make it so hard to claim that people won't do it. A totally broken idea yet the Tories won't stop the implementation

Sigh ..perhaps let’s not turn the thread into bashing one side ...let’s balance it up with the crap that Gordon B introduced ..all politicians come up with these schemes to grab headlines with no way of knowing how they are implemented and how difficult it makes people’s lives

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Rant over...

I think it’s bang out of order them asking all these personal questions, young people shouldn’t have to take a job in Asda @ £10 an hour whilst seeking the “dream job” they should be able to rock up to the nearest PO and collect their weekly entitlement......In cash.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sigh ..perhaps let’s not turn the thread into bashing one side ...let’s balance it up with the crap that Gordon B introduced ..politicians cone up with these schemes to grab headlines with no way of knowing how they are implemented and how difficult it makes people’s lives

But did everybody tell Gordon Brown his system wouldn’t work and would make some people face homelessness and destitution because of it?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think it’s bang out of order them asking all these personal questions, young people shouldn’t have to take a job in Asda @ £10 an hour whilst seeking the “dream job” they should be able to rock up to the nearest PO and collect their weekly entitlement......In cash.

You’re clearly either on a wind up, an arse or just didn’t bother to read my OP.

You carry on in your happy little world, I truly hope no-one you know, who has a disability needs this system - actually take that back, I do, then maybe you might understand.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
But did everybody tell Gordon Brown his system wouldn’t work and would make some people face homelessness and destitution because of it?

Whether they did or not doesn’t mean that he didn’t come up with a load of crap and that a certain government got the whole country into the Pooh...my post was more aimed at the predictability of a certain poster

In the meantime I hope things work out for your grandaughter ...I don’t think people fully understand how bad the system is until they get caught in it...another poster on here (Simmo) is being treated appealingly ..we seem to be in a survival of the fittest life

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You’re clearly either on a wind up, an arse or just didn’t bother to read my OP.

You carry on in your happy little world, I truly hope no-one you know, who has a disability needs this system - actually take that back, I do, then maybe you might understand.

You’re a mug for starting such a thread!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
disjointed sytem replaced by broken system, but all anyone will do is argue over the politics rather than the implementation. not sure why they bothered with "pilot" areas since they are rolling out regardless. should stop reanalyse and fix it first.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yet another political post ffs

I’m not quite sure what your problem is?

This isn’t “just another political post”, but a post about life and how it affects those with disabilities. My opinion would have been the same whoever devised it, Labour, LibDem or Monster Raving Loony party.

Also, the title unequivocally indicated what it was about, so if you didn’t like it don’t click on it - of course unless you are IDS in disguise.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here