Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] La Liga app accessed phone microphones to identify bars illegally showing football

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/06/12/inenglish/1560350300_425732.html?id_externo_rsoc=TW_CM_EN

Part of the article:

"La Liga’s application was designed to offer users all of the Spanish soccer results online, as well providing information about First and Second Division teams. But other functions, such as the use of the microphone to detect the sound of television broadcasts – in a similar way to song-identifying applications such as Shazam – had also been included. Given that the application from La Liga also tracked the geolocation of the user, the data collected could be compiled and crosschecked in order to determine if the establishment the user was in was paying the proper cable television fees to broadcast the game in question."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/06/12/inenglish/1560350300_425732.html?id_externo_rsoc=TW_CM_EN

Part of the article:

"La Liga’s application was designed to offer users all of the Spanish soccer results online, as well providing information about First and Second Division teams. But other functions, such as the use of the microphone to detect the sound of television broadcasts – in a similar way to song-identifying applications such as Shazam – had also been included. Given that the application from La Liga also tracked the geolocation of the user, the data collected could be compiled and crosschecked in order to determine if the establishment the user was in was paying the proper cable television fees to broadcast the game in question."

Clever (sneaky) buggers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They won’t follow suit given that is likely to be contravening several privacy laws.

sounds like breach of Computer Misuse Act in this country, effectivly hacking the phone with a trojan software. very naughty.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
sounds like breach of Computer Misuse Act in this country, effectivly hacking the phone with a trojan software. very naughty.

I wonder how many apps I have on my phone and iPad can legally do the same?

I don’t think I’ve ever fully read the T&Cs I happily agree to when installing an app.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

I don’t think I’ve ever fully read the T&Cs I happily agree to when installing an app.

True for most of us, but putting something in the small print doesn’t absolve the company from legal responsibility. Bill Gates could have slipped in a slavery contract into the Windows 95 shrink-wrapped license agreement, but it doesn’t mean we’d all be legally bound to him ����

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Precisely ! and for that reason I will never have an Alexa or whatever in the house that eavesdrops on conversations and which films and tv that's watched. Sinister times ahead !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here