Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] What could the BBC do to cut costs or bring in more money

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Problem with running ads is all the other domestic broadcasters would probably lobby the Government to stop it happening.

There is only so much ad revenue to go round and it would inevitably lead to reduced revenues for ITV, Channel 4 etc...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

abc

Jan 6, 2007
The bbc shouldn't really do anything. This is shifting the blame for what is essentially a tax tory increase. Here's what should happen,Tory leadership candidates instead of promising massive tax cuts for the wealthy should promise to pay for the free license fees for the over 75's. The whole things stinks as a tory scheme to undermine support for the bbc.

What a depressing and pathetic politicised response to a potentially interesting topic from the OP

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
They should employ better negotiators when they sell the programmes they make around the world.

Programmes they make where every other county copies it, they sell the rights to it in other countries too cheaply. Instead of selling it off, they should hold firm and negotiate for a percentage of the Revenue earned abroad which these programmes earn through massive advertising when they show it overseas.

They need to hire Top Notch Lawyers to negotiate better deals and Top Notch Barristers and not be afraid to sue Overseas TV Companies if they breach the deals. American TV Companies make Billions from buying up the Rights to use Programmes where the concept generates from great programmes the BBC make. They need to get a bigger slice of that cake.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Problem with running ads is all the other domestic broadcasters would probably lobby the Government to stop it happening.

There is only so much ad revenue to go round and it would inevitably lead to reduced revenues for ITV, Channel 4 etc...

I don't think that is the case.

The other broadcasters have long held the position that the licence fee arrangement gave the BBC an unfair advantage.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe merge BBC2 and BBC4. BBC2 has been dumbed down so much that BBC4 tends to be first port of call for something a bit more intellectually stimulating. And BBC4 doesn't even start til 7pm. BBC2 afternoon telly is in the main standard daytime telly slop.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe merge BBC2 and BBC4. BBC2 has been dumbed down so much that BBC4 tends to be first port of call for something a bit more intellectually stimulating. And BBC4 doesn't even start til 7pm. BBC2 afternoon telly is in the main standard daytime telly slop.

then BBC4 would get dumbed down.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sorry to be so lazy, but I heard it would be "means tested". Can someone tell me the extent of "means" above which OAPs will have to pay the £154 per year?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's frightening to think that the highest paid person at the BBC earns less than Jurgen Locadia or Ali Jahanbaksh.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
then BBC4 would get dumbed down.

Depressingly, you're probably right.

There is hope tho. When Channel 4 first started, Channel 4 News initially got viewing figures so near zero it was touch and go whether it would survive the gorblimey media slagging. But it stuck to its guns and has earnt respect as a heavyweight news outlet.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's frightening to think that the highest paid person at the BBC earns less than Jurgen Locadia or Ali Jahanbaksh.

I always get spooked when I look at what the Prime Minister, or the Cabinet earn compared to, yes ok, Jurgen Locadia.

No wonder things don't get done.

PM = £150k per year.
JL = £180k per month.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
My Mrs was chatting to John Barryman the public are desperate for Tourchwood to return apparently it was more popular than Dr Who which is a big cash cow so they scrapped it. The BBC refuse to sell the rights to Tourchwood and offers have been significant from America so yes they could generate more income just chose not to.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I always get spooked when I look at what the Prime Minister, or the Cabinet earn compared to, yes ok, Jurgen Locadia.

PM = £150k per year.
JL = £180k per month.

He did score a great goal at Millwall though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Sorry to be so lazy, but I heard it would be "means tested". Can someone tell me the extent of "means" above which OAPs will have to pay the £154 per year?

The plan is to link it to receipt of Pension Credit - https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit

"Pension Credit is an income-related benefit made up of 2 parts - Guarantee Credit and Savings Credit.

Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income if it’s below £167.25 (for single people) or £255.25 (for couples).

Savings Credit is an extra payment for people who saved some money towards their retirement, for example a pension."

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong

PM = £150k per year.
JL = £180k per month.
Do you know how much PMs earn once they've left office and taken up a cushty role in the private sector? It would likely dwarf JL pay several times over (but I get your point!)

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I posted in error and can't delete, so instead here's a picture of a Koala.

koala.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here