Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Beginner Golf Courses in Sussex

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve heard the 9 holes isn’t being built now? I’m sure the planning was conditional on 9 holes a new club house and A flood lit range (as burgess hill was closing at the time, not now)

Don’t know how the owner has got away with it?

If you notice up the road there is another development on the stonecross lights, reckon their join up the developments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hearing mixed comments re the 9 holes. Doesn’t look much like there will be anything other than houses there at the moment though. The new development at Stonepound isn’t that big is it ? Also a lot of existing houses between there and the golf club already. Golf club development will extend close to Burgess Hill eventually I suspect, whilst the northern edge of Burgess Hill will be close to Haywards Heath........

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Mentioned it near the start if the thread. It’s in really crap condition.......

I'm a member at Singing Hills and it has been in really bad condition. They are spending big on getting it sorted. At the moment they are doing the fairway drainage. Most of the greens are back in good order, some of the bunkers and tee boxes still need work but they are definitely heading in the right direction, but don't tell everyone as it's been nice having a quiet course and very quick rounds

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm a member at Singing Hills and it has been in really bad condition. They are spending big on getting it sorted. At the moment they are doing the fairway drainage. Most of the greens are back in good order, some of the bunkers and tee boxes still need work but they are definitely heading in the right direction, but don't tell everyone as it's been nice having a quiet course and very quick rounds

Played there last month....not been for a while and was quite shocked at how poor the fairways were. The greens were crap too but that was more down to them having been treated and topdressed. We played on a Saturday afternoon and literally didn’t see another group on the back 9. Got round in no time [emoji106] Also very cheap for non members at the mo.......

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Seaford Head is a decent course for beginners and stunning views too.

Royal Eastbourne, where I play, has a nine hole course, par 31 which is very good for beginners but still a good test of golf https://www.regc.co.uk/hartington_course
That Devonshire course looks great - wouldn't mind to play it when I'm over in July / August.
How strictly does the club enforce their handicap certificate policy ?
I play off 19 but have no attachment to any club.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
That Devonshire course looks great - wouldn't mind to play it when I'm over in July / August.
How strictly does the club enforce their handicap certificate policy ?
I play off 19 but have no attachment to any club.

Yes, the Devonshire is a decent course. If you explain to the Pro's when you book I'm sure you will be ok.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Aiming to head to Ifield Saturday, If not Lindfield as it seems pretty reasonable for an early Tee time.

For anyone looking Rookwood is doing a decent offer throughout June.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
For anyone interested, I have got out and played a fair few courses in July.

Rookwood: Very reasonable course and was in good condition, not a huge challange would recommend for anyone looking to play a cheap round.
Ifield: Great course, really enjoyed it, some really nice holes, good tee prices after 1pm.
Mid Sussex: In brilliant condition, however not sure its worth £50 before 3pm have done a couple of rounds, one after 3 for £25 and a twlight round for £15. Great course, one of my favorites on the list.
Singing Hills: played Valley and River, I would suggest avoiding Valley at all costs, a very boring 9 holes and some fairways in terrible conition, River much nicer and a decent challange.
Willingdon: Pretty hilly and some tough lies as a result, a few very challanging holes, nice course if you dont mind walking up and down hills.
Rustington: in lovely condition, real shame this is only a 9 hole course, £10 twilight green fee perfect for a round after work if you are local.
Cuckfield: again really cheap green fees, very short and not a bad course for a beginner to get used to the golf course, some easy points if you play sensibley.
Lindfield: Pretty cheap and no problem getting a tee time whenever we wanted, however the probably the most boring course I have ever played, constantly up and down and no real variation in holes.
Slinfold: Decent course and like Ifield, pretty reasonable cost after 1, just £25, dont need to be a big hitter for this one if you can plot your way around the course.

My golf has come on a long way playing these, I started the summer on 28 regually hitting 110+ down now to about 21/22 and plenty of shots still left out there, would expect to get down to 18 by the end of the summer.

Trying to decide between Sweetwoods and Chartem park for a round, has anyone played these at all, thoughts?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Rookwood: Very reasonable course and was in good condition, not a huge challange would recommend for anyone looking to play a cheap round.
Ifield: Great course, really enjoyed it, some really nice holes, good tee prices after 1pm.
Mid Sussex: In brilliant condition, however not sure its worth £50 before 3pm have done a couple of rounds, one after 3 for £25 and a twlight round for £15. Great course, one of my favorites on the list.
Singing Hills: played Valley and River, I would suggest avoiding Valley at all costs, a very boring 9 holes and some fairways in terrible conition, River much nicer and a decent challange.
Willingdon: Pretty hilly and some tough lies as a result, a few very challanging holes, nice course if you dont mind walking up and down hills.
Rustington: in lovely condition, real shame this is only a 9 hole course, £10 twilight green fee perfect for a round after work if you are local.
Cuckfield: again really cheap green fees, very short and not a bad course for a beginner to get used to the golf course, some easy points if you play sensibley.
Slinfold: Decent course and like Ifield, pretty reasonable cost after 1, just £25, dont need to be a big hitter for this one if you can plot your way around the course.

My golf has come on a long way playing these, I started the summer on 28 regually hitting 110+ down now to about 21/22 and plenty of shots still left out there, would expect to get down to 18 by the end of the summer.

Trying to decide between Sweetwoods and Chartem park for a round, has anyone played these at all, thoughts?

I was amazed what Mid Sussex have done to their non-member green fees - not sure when they went up but there must have been a massive hike fairly recently (I play there quite often, but as a member's guest so its reduced). AGree it's in fabulous condition though - probably as good as it's ever been (I was a member for 15 years but simply can't play enough to justify it at the moment). I thought Singing Hills was in awful condition when I played there a few weeks ago - cheap though (they've apparently given members a partial refund because it's so poor)

I like Sweetwoods - nice mix of holes, quite a few trees too. Can't comment on condition as not been there for a while

Pyecombe is worth a visit too if you want another for your list. Beautifully laid out on the top of the Downs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was once asked by a mate keen on golf, when I told him I enjoyed it but struggled at it, to show him my golf swing. His comment after watching was “don’t ever hit a golf ball again until you’ve had lessons”

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton

Lindfield: Pretty cheap and no problem getting a tee time whenever we wanted, however the probably the most boring course I have ever played, constantly up and down and no real variation in holes.

Sweetwoods and Chartham are both pretty decent and always in nice condition. Sweetwoods owned by one of the four people who chipped into buy palace in 2010 though (Steve Browett I think), so i've been avoiding since.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I was once asked by a mate keen on golf, when I told him I enjoyed it but struggled at it, to show him my golf swing. His comment after watching was “don’t ever hit a golf ball again until you’ve had lessons”

Personally I don't agree. For a beginner there is a lot online to learn the basics, set up, grip alignment, course management. There is also a lot of trash and fat too much information. Ive picked up some handy tips without having a lesson. However some people may need this more than others, Once I see no more progression in my own game I will have a couple to see what i can do to improve.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Personally I don't agree. For a beginner there is a lot online to learn the basics, set up, grip alignment, course management. There is also a lot of trash and fat too much information. Ive picked up some handy tips without having a lesson. However some people may need this more than others, Once I see no more progression in my own game I will have a couple to see what i can do to improve.

The only issue I see with that is that while you are improving, you may not be improving 'correctly' - That's to say, there may be something fundamentally wrong with your swing/address/other but there'e no way you'd know that right now but it may become a problem if you want to continue to progress. I think having some lessons before you even go on a course is a really good idea....

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Chartham would be my preferred option of those two. A decent enough track without being hugely long unless you play off the white tees, which is not recommended for a beginner. Like any course, hitting the fairways is always handy.

A great beginners course is Seaford Head - wide open fairways and great views. Not to be confused with Seaford which is brutal for beginners.

Rookwood is superb, off the A24 near Horsham.

Mid-Sussex is a bit tricky for beginners.

Whatever you do, don't play West Hove. Had got my handicap to 16 when I played there 3 years ago and it broke me, haven't played since.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here