Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Beginner Golf Courses in Sussex

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Good with the driver.

fairly decent irons, fade on the back 9 when tirdness kicks in.

Absolutely shocking around and on the green.

I had a membership at Mid Sussex about 5 years ago and only really ever played there or the odd one off so I was really just looking for suggestions.

Price is probably my deciding factor at the moment as well, dont fancy spending £40 to get back into things.

Ahh okay, so you'll be fine around most courses. I'm nearer Horsham area but Horsham is fine, Mannings Heath is fine if you can drive quite well and Tilgate is good if you want something to practice your irons.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Represented the club at chartam park a few weeks ago. Cracking course in excellent nick!

Good practice area there too to get you in the mood!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yeah, I remember talk years ago of it being converted into a 9-hole course, but I didn't realise about the housing development bit. Maybe that came later.

I was about two inches away from a hole in one at Hill Barn. Hit the tee shot, and as we wandered up the fairway on the 4th or 6th (can't remember which), wondered why the two in front of us were standing there. Turns out my ball caught some wind, landed on the green and trickled past the hole.

This thread makes me want to play again – I think it's been about seven years though, so...

I haven't played properly in 5 years. DO IT.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks. So no further forward yet then. I was a member at HHGC for 28 years and would not buy a house there - it is like a bog in places after rain. I believe that they are already building in the woods/fields between Old Wickham Lane and Birchen Lane etc heading up to the golf course. Great shame.

My old boss lives on Birchen Lane and is probably up the golf club 6 times a week since he retired (it was only 5 times a week when he was working :whistle:)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I've recently started playing again and now with Hassocks gone I was wondering if any of the golfers amoungst us could recommend a nice course for Beginners?

I have Cuckfield and Rustington both on the list however both only 9 holes, Id rather avoid a goat track as I find it frustrating hitting over a hill and not knowing where the hell my ball has gone (Probably the rough).

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it was for beginners but another suggestion would be Ifield. It is not too hilly and reasonably open.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Mid Sussex is very 'playable' for a beginner (with virtually no 'blind' shots) and in very good condition
Hill Barn is wide open, can get away with spraying it all over the place there
Can't really recall what Hollingbury is like as not played there for ages but think it was fairly open
Singing Hills has 3 x 9 hole courses, but does have a load of doglegs and also really isn't in a great state at the moment
Waterhall is cheap and cheerful, but obviously v hilly. Rarely closes in the winter as it drains well. Pyecombe is an expensive, better-kept similar type of course
Heard some really good reports about Cottesmore (including some very flexible membership options) but not played there yet
Played at Tilgate a couple of weeks ago - was better than I remember it. Lots of doglegs and trees though (seemed to be every bloody hole !).

My dad used to be a member at Cottesmore. He took up golf in his late 50s and gave it up in his early 70s, so very much a beginner! I played a few rounds with him up there and it's a decent course for a beginner (which I also am). The fairways are fairly wide, and there's a couple of more tricky holes to challenge yourself on. Plenty of cheap membership options too.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Lindfield has to be up there. Incredibly cheap to play, no water hazards, fairly forgiving if you skew your tee shots too from what I remember.

Assuming it’s still open.

Definitely worth a visit for beginners and still going - pretty cheap, course is OK, comparable with Cuckfield in terms of quality I would say..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My dad used to be a member at Cottesmore. He took up golf in his late 50s and gave it up in his early 70s, so very much a beginner! I played a few rounds with him up there and it's a decent course for a beginner (which I also am). The fairways are fairly wide, and there's a couple of more tricky holes to challenge yourself on. Plenty of cheap membership options too.

Cheers - exactly what I'd heard.........good pal of mine's young son plays with their 'academy' and he's been looking at it, so will pop up and have a go.

matumaini

Feb 25, 2018
Mid Sussex is very 'playable' for a beginner (with virtually no 'blind' shots) and in very good condition
Hill Barn is wide open, can get away with spraying it all over the place there
Can't really recall what Hollingbury is like as not played there for ages but think it was fairly open
Singing Hills has 3 x 9 hole courses, but does have a load of doglegs and also really isn't in a great state at the moment
Waterhall is cheap and cheerful, but obviously v hilly. Rarely closes in the winter as it drains well. Pyecombe is an expensive, better-kept similar type of course
Heard some really good reports about Cottesmore (including some very flexible membership options) but not played there yet
Played at Tilgate a couple of weeks ago - was better than I remember it. Lots of doglegs and trees though (seemed to be every bloody hole !).
The 17th at Mid Sussex is a tough par four, length wise. 17th and 18th can ruin your card.

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
I played Hassocks in the week before it closed. The pro said the owner had abandoned plans for the 9 hole course, was just retaining ownership of the land, presumably to sell to developers at a later date.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I think Cottesmore is down to one course now? Nice course though.
Tilgate is good value but actually quite a tough course in places.
Cuckfield is ‘OK’, I find it way too hilly and a couple of very blind ‘hit and hope’ holes, lovely views though.
Mid-Sussex is good but again not really a beginners course.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think Cottesmore is down to one course now? Nice course though.
Tilgate is good value but actually quite a tough course in places.
Cuckfield is ‘OK’, I find it way too hilly and a couple of very blind ‘hit and hope’ holes, lovely views though.
Mid-Sussex is good but again not really a beginners course.

Cottesmore has a main 18 hole course (Griffin) and a 9 hole (Phoenix)
I'd rate Tilgate much harder than Mid Sussex - more trees, more rough and loads of dog-legs. I'm pretty crap though so not the best judge :)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
New housing estate going up (I've heard they are going to reopen with a 9 hole course)...............I was a member there for a few years before our group moved to Mid Sussex. Love the 18th at Seaford Head. 400 yard drive with the wind :)

I’ve heard the 9 holes isn’t being built now? I’m sure the planning was conditional on 9 holes a new club house and A flood lit range (as burgess hill was closing at the time, not now)

Don’t know how the owner has got away with it?

If you notice up the road there is another development on the stonecross lights, reckon their join up the developments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here