Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Beginner Golf Courses in Sussex

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I've recently started playing again and now with Hassocks gone I was wondering if any of the golfers amoungst us could recommend a nice course for Beginners?

I have Cuckfield and Rustington both on the list however both only 9 holes, Id rather avoid a goat track as I find it frustrating hitting over a hill and not knowing where the hell my ball has gone (Probably the rough).

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
If you can get out on a week day then I’d heartily recommend the Burgess Hill 9 hole par 3. Proved An excellent proving ground for me. A couple of longer holes so you’ll always be learning something other than short game management for which this is excellent.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've recently started playing again and now with Hassocks gone I was wondering if any of the golfers amoungst us could recommend a nice course for Beginners?

I have Cuckfield and Rustington both on the list however both only 9 holes, Id rather avoid a goat track as I find it frustrating hitting over a hill and not knowing where the hell my ball has gone (Probably the rough).

Cheers.

Mid Sussex is very 'playable' for a beginner (with virtually no 'blind' shots) and in very good condition
Hill Barn is wide open, can get away with spraying it all over the place there
Can't really recall what Hollingbury is like as not played there for ages but think it was fairly open
Singing Hills has 3 x 9 hole courses, but does have a load of doglegs and also really isn't in a great state at the moment
Waterhall is cheap and cheerful, but obviously v hilly. Rarely closes in the winter as it drains well. Pyecombe is an expensive, better-kept similar type of course
Heard some really good reports about Cottesmore (including some very flexible membership options) but not played there yet
Played at Tilgate a couple of weeks ago - was better than I remember it. Lots of doglegs and trees though (seemed to be every bloody hole !).

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

Cheers.
Cuckfield has two sets of tees so you can play 18 different tees new owners now also beautiful views.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you can get out on a week day then I’d heartily recommend the Burgess Hill 9 hole par 3. Proved An excellent proving ground for me. A couple of longer holes so you’ll always be learning something other than short game management for which this is excellent.

Same for me........quite pricey though and can be slow. You can get a twilight round on several 18 hole courses for a similar price.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Played it two weekends ago, looking for more of a challange. but its enjoyable certaininly on a summers eve.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I really like Gatton Manor, I think you'll get a couple of rounds there before you'd need to look at membership, have a chat with the golf pro, David Fluke.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's been a while since I played (I didn't even realise that Hassocks was gone – had some fond memories of early morning rounds there), but I remember starting out at Seaford Head. Great course, if a little challenging in a few places (especially if there was a bit of a breeze).

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's been a while since I played (I didn't even realise that Hassocks was gone – had some fond memories of early morning rounds there), but I remember starting out at Seaford Head. Great course, if a little challenging in a few places (especially if there was a bit of a breeze).

New housing estate going up (I've heard they are going to reopen with a 9 hole course)...............I was a member there for a few years before our group moved to Mid Sussex. Love the 18th at Seaford Head. 400 yard drive with the wind :)

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Lindfield has to be up there. Incredibly cheap to play, no water hazards, fairly forgiving if you skew your tee shots too from what I remember.

Assuming it’s still open.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Cheers.

What are you current strengths as a golfer? Are you a good driver? Good iron player? Good putter/pitcher?

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Hillbarn is very forgiving, and if you intend to have lessons the pro Simon Buckley is an excellent instructor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
What are you current strengths as a golfer? Are you a good driver? Good iron player? Good putter/pitcher?

Good with the driver.

fairly decent irons, fade on the back 9 when tirdness kicks in.

Absolutely shocking around and on the green.

I had a membership at Mid Sussex about 5 years ago and only really ever played there or the odd one off so I was really just looking for suggestions.

Price is probably my deciding factor at the moment as well, dont fancy spending £40 to get back into things.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
New housing estate going up (I've heard they are going to reopen with a 9 hole course)...............I was a member there for a few years before our group moved to Mid Sussex. Love the 18th at Seaford Head. 400 yard drive with the wind :)

Yeah, I remember talk years ago of it being converted into a 9-hole course, but I didn't realise about the housing development bit. Maybe that came later.

Hillbarn is very forgiving, and if you intend to have lessons the pro Simon Buckley is an excellent instructor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was about two inches away from a hole in one at Hill Barn. Hit the tee shot, and as we wandered up the fairway on the 4th or 6th (can't remember which), wondered why the two in front of us were standing there. Turns out my ball caught some wind, landed on the green and trickled past the hole.

This thread makes me want to play again – I think it's been about seven years though, so...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here