Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Gove, politicians and drugs

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It’s not that he took cocaine that bothers me. It’s the sheer hypocrisy of it all. In 2014 he introduced a teachers' code of conduct with lifetime bans for teachers caught using Class A drugs like cocaine. Whilst I’m not against the aforementioned, teachers are deemed unfit to teach if they use cocaine but he's fit to run for PM? Baffling.

This is it. Politicians seem to be entitled to a second chance but no one else is.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The hypocrisy will do for Michael Gove. I don't have a problem with him having taken drugs but I do have a problem with him as Justice Minister and Education Minister ending people's careers and sending people to jail for stuff he himself did.

On a wider level, who in their right mind would want to become an MP? You have to be whiter than white, have people bitching about you all the time and the pay's not brilliant. Increasingly MPs will be drawn from nerds and the mediocre, not people to lead or inspire.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I saw an opinion poll on the leadership race.

I rather think it should have been called an opium poll.

Anyway, I don't think Gove has a sniff now.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Wasn’t there a would be local politician who tried to erase stuff from his past ? Unlucky for him it didn’t work and it won’t for Gove

I suspect that the would be politician is still green with envy as Gove will be when he fails to make the final two.

I also suspect that the call to the Mirror that led to the vile man admitting his past habit came indirectly from Bojo as he looked to return ‘a knife in the back’ after Gove had slayed him in the previous leadership election.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The hypocrisy will do for Michael Gove. I don't have a problem with him having taken drugs but I do have a problem with him as Justice Minister and Education Minister ending people's careers and sending people to jail for stuff he himself did.

On a wider level, who in their right mind would want to become an MP? You have to be whiter than white, have people bitching about you all the time and the pay's not brilliant. Increasingly MPs will be drawn from nerds and the mediocre, not people to lead or inspire.

On your last point, maybe future MPs will therefore be drawn from people who actually want to make difference and not self-serving power mad hypocrites?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Rory Stewart is a cunning little sod.

He knew exactly what he was doing when he set the ball rolling.

D

Deleted member 22389

Can't see the fuss personally. It would be an issue if they where doing it now. Wonder if we will hear from the Labour party.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

the last sentence has already come to fruition

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I’ve posted before about us vs Southend a few years back. The beer garden at the Spread Eagle looked like a bakery with sniff all over the shop and I spent 90 minutes in the K hole. Not the best experience meeting God in the away end.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The whole thing is thoroughly depressing.

Sure Gove’s a hypocrite, but what politician isn’t? You’ve got Boris shagging Petronella Wyatt behind his wife’s back and paying for an abortion, you’ve got Andrea Leadsom lying about her career in the city, you’ve got Jeremy Corbyn saying that liking an anti-Semitic post should be ignored, you’ve got Chris Hahn lying about taking speeding points, you’ve got dodgy expenses claims still rife.

There is zero moral high ground in politics. They are all hypocritical wankers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Before I go on I must say Gove is a massive prick. That said, who on earth hasn’t dabbled in casual drug taking in their youth?? I reckon 90% of the people who respond to this and say they haven’t are liars?

I haven't and I'm not a liar. Fact is it's illegal and very stupid so he has disqualified himself from being PM.

D

Deleted member 22389

I haven't and I'm not a liar. Fact is it's illegal and very stupid so he has disqualified himself from being PM.

I say good for you if you haven't. In the end it just messes up your head. I was in to rave scene in the 90s, but knew when to stop.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I just hope that the takehome on this isn't ' taking drugs was bad, I really regret it, sorry for being a hypocrite about that' and more 'saying we should ruin the lives of people who take drugs in their youth is bad, I regret it, sorry for being a hypocrite about that'

I don't live in much hope. I want politicians freely admitting to taking drugs and it not being important anymore.

As has been said many many times, the effects of drugs being illegal has ruined many many more lives than the effects of drugs themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here