Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Vettel

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thankfully Lewis has never done what Vettel did last night (the huge reaction, sulking, moving the 1 sign, etc).

The anti-Lewis brigage of 'patriotic English' haters in this country, would've had the fuel they've craved all these years to really go to town.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thankfully Lewis has never done what Vettel did last night (the huge reaction, sulking, moving the 1 sign, etc).

The anti-Lewis brigage of 'patriotic English' haters in this country, would've had the fuel they've craved all these years to really go to town.

Lewis is a fecking legend, shame so many don’t see it that way.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lewis is a fecking legend, shame so many don’t see it that way.

@Icy, we're in the vast majority of patriotic sports lovers, who appreciate Lewis as a great. Let's continue to enjoy his brilliant career, as he relentlessly clocks up wins in all weather, on all tracks and titles!!! Happy Days.

Stephen Hendry kind of covered your point last week in a radio interview, saying that Steve Davis then he were disliked in their pomp by a large contingent. The British are a funny old race ... many hate winners, the confident, the successful. Leave them to their bitter and twisted personalities.

You're a more positive and happier person for it. :wink:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That motorsport.com article vindicates the stewards decision, and I think the likes of Brundle and Button need to look at themselves for their attack on a decision which now appears correct.

If Charlie Whiting had still been alive the issue would have been put to bed before the race had even ended.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Vettel's behaviour has been shocking, petulant and embarrassing. The rules states you may only rejoin a track if it is safe to do so. Vettel is suggesting he had no option but to cut across the track and the racing line (& irrespective of differing views & opinions) in so doing confirms it was not safe (or detrimental to another driver) to rejoin. There is no arguement here and I would say the same whoever the other driver was. I think they need to increase his punishment to teach him.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Im undecided, I’m swayed though by the fact the stewards unanimously agreed and they have a lot more access to angles and telemetry than any of us. I do think it was harsh on Vettel but fact is, he made the error onto the grass, my opinion is you shouldn’t be able to go onto/over the grass and rejoin the track without it costing you any time, I feel the stewards should have asked him to cede the position rather than the 5 second penalty as the penalty (right or wrong) ruined the race as Lewis didn’t need to over take to win.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
At least the race stewards have awarded consistent penalties for the same offence.Verstappen very similar incident in Japan last year,5 second penalty and deserved.Should not be allowed to detract from Lewis's excellent drive,putting Bottas firmly back in place!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I won't argue about his Gus like ego, but a man with little driving talent, really ? He has won the Formula 1 World Championship on four occasions!

I haven't said little talent, just half the talent of a real multiple world champion.

Apart from during Red Bull's dominant period when has Vettel looked a cut above the rest? Truly great drivers like Alonso, Hamilton, Senna, Schumacher can drag a dog of a car round and get results, I just don't see that from Seb. Plus he has become so error prone even when he does appear to be having a great drive he throws it all away with a lack of concentration or panic.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The other driver who embarrassed themselves was Magnusson. His criticism of the team was awful and I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced in the seat

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I haven't said little talent, just half the talent of a real multiple world champion.

Apart from during Red Bull's dominant period when has Vettel looked a cut above the rest? Truly great drivers like Alonso, Hamilton, Senna, Schumacher can drag a dog of a car round and get results, I just don't see that from Seb. Plus he has become so error prone even when he does appear to be having a great drive he throws it all away with a lack of concentration or panic.

Vettel when put under severe pressure in a race, or where there’s unexpected rain, makes more errors than the likes of Hamilton, or previously Schumacher or Senna.

He was at his best when Red Bull had by far and away the best car. Unfortunately for him, two or three teams/cars have been far closer together in recent seasons and he (and Ferrari) keep making several telling mistakes due to the pressure.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Interesting that Hamilton has said that he most likely would have made the same driving decisions as Vettel did in the same circumstances.

The one reason I think this decision is harsh (although I understand the stewards' reasoning) is that the stewards are interpreting actions taken in split seconds with the benefit of hindsight. I've long suspected that they tend to over-read into many of these smaller driver inputs.

This decision was consistent with one they made against Verstappen last year, but *not* consistent with one they made in relation to the Verstappen/Ricciardo incident at Baku last year (where Verstappen's last 'small' change in steering input that precipitated Ricciardo losing control wasn't deemed in the same light as Vettel's small steering change on the weekend).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here