Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Let’s Guess

el punal

Right, the fixtures for next season will be out this week and then we can all arrange our diaries and calendars accordingly - subject, of course, to the TV companies not buggering up our best laid plans.

The next thing is predicting which teams will have a stellar season, which ones will be utter dogshit and which ones will be boringly mid-table mediocre.

For the purposes of this thread, and also for our sanity, our beloved Albion should not be included in this exercise. *

My thoughts : Life at the top - Liverpool and Man City to excel again, with the Scousers nicking the title. Spurs, if they keep Pochettino, to get third. Chelsea and Arsenal will not be consistent enough to challenge for top three. Man Utd will struggle to even be top six. Wolves might be the surprise package in going for a Champions League spot.

Mid-table motorway services - the usual suspects of Everton, Leicester, West Ham. Southampton and Palace :sick: will improve to join them. Of the newcomers, I reckon Aston Villa will have enough backing to see them okay.

The drop of doom - Sheffield Utd and Norwich will be the annual come up/go back down candidates. I also think Burnley, Watford and Bournemouth will struggle this time, and chuck in Newcastle if Benitez leaves.

* Alright then - us? To be honest I just don’t know. It could be an absolutely inspired appointment by Tony Bloom in signing Graham Potter to introduce a more expansive and exciting brand of football, with essentially the same players that performed miserably last season. The flip side? A Hyypia type Huddersfield debacle with us relegated by March. Sod it! We’ll be good enough - 10th position! :cheers:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
So far I’m totally uninspired with all of the transfer rumours apart from Juan Mata which clearly won’t happen.
I’ve got us to be relegated this season unfortunately

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Right, the fixtures for next season will be out this week and then we can all arrange our diaries and calendars accordingly - subject, of course, to the TV companies not buggering up our best laid plans.

The next thing is predicting which teams will have a stellar season, which ones will be utter dogshit and which ones will be boringly mid-table mediocre.

For the purposes of this thread, and also for our sanity, our beloved Albion should not be included in this exercise. *

My thoughts : Life at the top - Liverpool and Man City to excel again, with the Scousers nicking the title. Spurs, if they keep Pochettino, to get third. Chelsea and Arsenal will not be consistent enough to challenge for top three. Man Utd will struggle to even be top six. Wolves might be the surprise package in going for a Champions League spot.

Mid-table motorway services - the usual suspects of Everton, Leicester, West Ham. Southampton and Palace :sick: will improve to join them. Of the newcomers, I reckon Aston Villa will have enough backing to see them okay.

The drop of doom - Sheffield Utd and Norwich will be the annual come up/go back down candidates. I also think Burnley, Watford and Bournemouth will struggle this time, and chuck in Newcastle if Benitez leaves.

* Alright then - us? To be honest I just don’t know. It could be an absolutely inspired appointment by Tony Bloom in signing Graham Potter to introduce a more expansive and exciting brand of football, with essentially the same players that performed miserably last season. The flip side? A Hyypia type Huddersfield debacle with us relegated by March. Sod it! We’ll be good enough - 10th position! :cheers:

If Palace lose Zaha and Wan-Bissaka they could be a team that struggles.

I’m interested in why you think Watford and Bournemouth will struggle. I guess Bournemouth could be in trouble if they lose a few key players.

el punal

If Palace lose Zaha and Wan-Bissaka they could be a team that struggles.

I’m interested in why you think Watford and Bournemouth will struggle. I guess Bournemouth could be in trouble if they lose a few key players.

Gut feeling I suppose. Bournemouth struggled towards the end of the season (so did we!). I just think Watford punched above their weight. I compare both teams to Stoke and West Brom of two years ago in which they’d been in the Premier League for some time but couldn’t sustain the challenge of staying up. This will happen to all clubs eventually who are not “top six”. It’s just a question of how long can you make it last.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Only interested in a couple of games. Firstly it has to be Newcastle away on the 5th October and a similar away game up north on the 9th November.
Basically, two miss-able games over the international break period allowing me two weeks holiday.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I want a northwest away game in late September, and us to stay up. The title? Going to Liverpool unfortunately.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Man City
Liverpool
Man U
Chelsea
Tottenham
Everton
Arsenal
Newcastle