Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Gardeners' Question Time

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Have had plant growing in garden for 8 years and this has just sprouted for the first time?

What is it? Will there be more?

ec8a4e710d258ca420e11fa31ae9a2da.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have had plant growing in garden for 8 years and this has just sprouted for the first time?

What is it? Will there be more?

ec8a4e710d258ca420e11fa31ae9a2da.jpg

I can tell you that it ISN'T a vegetable, other than that ?

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Dunno.

A more important gardening question:

Is ‘Monty Dog’ the name of Monty Don’s dog?

I like to think so.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
100% Cordyline australis, yes, sometimes called a Cabbage Tree. They may seed in this country but it's quite rare. There are four I planted in the pavement opposite the Palace Pier about fifteen years ago that are romping.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8...4!1sOFbWXHjR0tw9FizXdq69tg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
The smell of the white flowers is beautiful.

Yes definitely, I have one and it has often seeded, in fact I see lots that seed.
Some split and branch off like the one in the picture and some, like mine don't.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Yes definitely, I have one and it has often seeded, in fact I see lots that seed.
Some split and branch off like the one in the picture and some, like mine don't.

They'll branch out and send new shoots from the base if they're cut hard back, or branch at the tops after they've flowered. I think they look best on a single stem with lots of branches at the top, looking like a proper tree. The only maintenance they need is to pull or cut the dead leaves off, which die off as it grows. Nothing looks worse than a Cordyline with stems covered in dead leaves!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
They'll branch out and send new shoots from the base if they're cut hard back, or branch at the tops after they've flowered. I think they look best on a single stem with lots of branches at the top, looking like a proper tree. The only maintenance they need is to pull or cut the dead leaves off, which die off as it grows. Nothing looks worse than a Cordyline with stems covered in dead leaves!

Yes, twice a year I get rid of the dead leaves, mine is about 12 years old but has never split at the top or bottom.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yup yukka... but is the new flower standard? Why has it only arrived for the first time after 8 years..?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
The wind blew all mine off yesterday. Just had to clear them from my grass. The flowers have new shoots growing. The bees bloody love the flowers too.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Ours is in the lawn and for our first two years at the house I mowed over it...

Then I went on holiday for two weeks one Summer and noticed it might grow into something so left it and now it is 5ft high.

This year is the first year I have cleared away all the dead leaves to expose several trunks so it looks nicer than just a bush.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here