Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Gardeners' Question Time

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I've got one of those w****rs in my back garden.
I despise it's frond dropping shitehousary and fantasize about chopping it down.

Sadly the b*****d is the best part of 20 foot tall and I'm a lazy git.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've got one of those w****rs in my back garden.
I despise it's frond dropping shitehousary and fantasize about chopping it down.

Sadly the b*****d is the best part of 20 foot tall and I'm a lazy git.

Embrace it, value horticultural diversity!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Embrace it, value horticultural diversity!

I'll embrace it with one of these:-

Felling_Head_Large_1366x768_R4E017699_RGB_72dpi.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let it grow let it grow.....

That's half the problem, there's one about 4 houses down that about 30 feet tall. :ohmy:

It wouldn't be so bad if I'd planted it on the other side of the garden, at least then the prevailing wind would have made the fronds fall over the fence!! :lol:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'll embrace it with one of these:-

View attachment 111081
I have a confession. I used to have a twenty-foot Cordyline in my tiny garden until parking got impossible in the streets around where I live. Therefore, I decided to make room in it so I could get my car in. Therefore, the Cordyline had to come out. I started to dig it out, but the fibrous root system made it impossible even to get the spade in to the ground. I was in charge of Brighton's cemeteries at the time, so I instructed the JCB driver who dug the graves to whiz down in his mechanical digger, to my garden and dig it out, which he did in two minutes! The Parks were managed by a private company at the time, so there's no need to report me to the Council!!

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I have a confession. I used to have a twenty-foot Cordyline in my tiny garden until parking got impossible in the streets around where I live. Therefore, I decided to make room in it so I could get my car in. Therefore, the Cordyline had to come out. I started to dig it out, but the fibrous root system made it impossible even to get the spade in to the ground. I was in charge of Brighton's cemeteries at the time, so I instructed the JCB driver who dug the graves to whiz down to my garden and dig it out, which he did in two minutes! The Parks were managed by a private company at the time, so there's no need to report me to the Council!!

Perk of the job!

My neighbours Cordyline is also seeding for the first time I can remember.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a confession. I used to have a twenty-foot Cordyline in my tiny garden until parking got impossible in the streets around where I live. Therefore, I decided to make room in it so I could get my car in. Therefore, the Cordyline had to come out. I started to dig it out, but the fibrous root system made it impossible even to get the spade in to the ground. I was in charge of Brighton's cemeteries at the time, so I instructed the JCB driver who dug the graves to whiz down to my garden and dig it out, which he did in two minutes! The Parks were managed by a private company at the time, so there's no need to report me to the Council!!
I'm not a complete concreteophile!!

I have a lovely Magnolia tree at the front of my house which I tend to twice a year.
I keep it quite short, 6ft, so it now has a super thick trunk and a tight big bush, of leaves.

Which is nice. :lol:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'm not a complete concreteophile!!

I have a lovely Magnolia tree at the front of my house which I tend to twice a year.
I keep it quite short, 6ft, so it now has a super thick trunk and a tight big bush, of leaves.

Which is nice. :lol:

It's been a good year for Magnolias for some reason. Does yours have "star" flowers, or "lily" flowers? What colour are the flowers?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's been a good year for Magnolias for some reason. Does yours have "star" flowers, or "lily" flowers? What colour are the flowers?
White and pink like the rest in my area
The difference being they are all tall and a little straggly where as mine looks like a giant lollipop.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Sounds like Magnolia soulangeana. They do like to be left alone to get on with it! There are some lovely mauve ones too. They are one of the species of plants where there are no varieties that I don't like.

Attachments

• Mag.JPG
    Mag.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 63

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here