Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Switzerland

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I think people got a little too caught up on the 'clear and obvious error' and how it is applied, which I think has impacted on people's views of VAR.

Letting a goal to stand when a player was offside is a clear error. It may have been offside by half an inch, but it was offside - not giving the offside was clearly an error. It is an entirely understandable error to make giving the tightness of the decision, but still wrong. So the goal can't stand if you want to eliminate such obvious errors.

Similarly with fouls, if a foul occurs in the build up to a goal and the goal is allowed to stand, a clear error has been made. When it comes to fouls, the challenge is deemed a foul if, in the opinion of the ref it is a foul - that is, it doesn't matter what the pundits think, or the fans, or the players, just the referee so it's not a matter of "well, the boys in the studio are divided about whether it's a foul, ergo not a clear error". If the referee looks at a replay and sees what he deems a foul, and your plan is to avoid clear errors, the goal has to be chalked off irrespective of the views of the pundits on the foul.

Now if the stated aim had been to avoid uncommon or unreasonable mistakes (the sort of mistake that when you see makes you think 'we shouldn't need VAR to get that right'), then tight offsides missed would be accepted as part of the game, fouls that were unnoticed remain ungiven and people can just get on with it.

As I said, cleverer people than me.....

I just don't like it, on the principle that if you give people a powerful tool, then they are going to first use it as intended, then find more ways to use it. This is the path are now heading down. Common sense need not apply. I hope I'm wrong, we have yet to hear (and see) how the PL intend to use it. But am not hopeful. Not with FIFA, UEFA, FA and the PL in charge.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I think people got a little too caught up on the 'clear and obvious error' and how it is applied, which I think has impacted on people's views of VAR.

Letting a goal to stand when a player was offside is a clear error. It may have been offside by half an inch, but it was offside - not giving the offside was clearly an error. It is an entirely understandable error to make giving the tightness of the decision, but still wrong. So the goal can't stand if you want to eliminate such obvious errors.

Similarly with fouls, if a foul occurs in the build up to a goal and the goal is allowed to stand, a clear error has been made. When it comes to fouls, the challenge is deemed a foul if, in the opinion of the ref it is a foul - that is, it doesn't matter what the pundits think, or the fans, or the players, just the referee so it's not a matter of "well, the boys in the studio are divided about whether it's a foul, ergo not a clear error". If the referee looks at a replay and sees what he deems a foul, and your plan is to avoid clear errors, the goal has to be chalked off irrespective of the views of the pundits on the foul.

Now if the stated aim had been to avoid uncommon or unreasonable mistakes (the sort of mistake that when you see makes you think 'we shouldn't need VAR to get that right'), then tight offsides missed would be accepted as part of the game, fouls that were unnoticed remain ungiven and people can just get on with it.

It should be used for black and white decisions only.

Fouls and handballs are always going to be decided on a referee’s interpretation of the situation in relation to the laws. VAR fails badly here because the mere fact that the VAR has advised the referee to view an incident puts doubt in the match referee’s mind.

It’s human nature to agree with the VAR official (strength in numbers) which effectively means the ultimate referee of every match is sitting in a studio, not on the field of play.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Don't worry everyone. We'll win on penalties because the players haven't got any "mental baggage" from previous experiences.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It should be used for black and white decisions only.

Fouls and handballs are always going to be decided on a referee’s interpretation of the situation in relation to the laws. VAR fails badly here because the mere fact that the VAR has advised the referee to view an incident puts doubt in the match referee’s mind.

It’s human nature to agree with the VAR official (strength in numbers) which effectively means the ultimate referee of every match is sitting in a studio, not on the field of play.

I’m fine with it, Wilson shouldn’t have completely pointlessly fouled an opponent.

We’d have been pleased if it prevented a goal against England.

Over time, intelligent players will cut out unnecessary fouls in the box.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I’m fine with it, Wilson shouldn’t have completely pointlessly fouled an opponent.

We’d have been pleased if it prevented a goal against England.

Over time, intelligent players will cut out unnecessary fouls in the box.

That is one incident which the vast majority of people would agree WAS a foul.

There will be plenty next season that will polarise opinion and I am certain they will go against the teams outside of the top six.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
That is one incident which the vast majority of people would agree WAS a foul.

However if you had been watching Akanji closely during the game you would have seen that he threw himself to the floor at every opportunity.

The "foul" in question was supposed to be a pull on Akanji's arm. If so why didn't he fall in the direction of the supposed pull? He just fell backwatds.

The danger is that players that cheat like Akanji will fall over every time in the box when they are in trouble, hoping VAR will get them of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here