Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The EFL have introduced the ‘Rooney rule’

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can see a few white managers putting on black face makeup and trying out for this. Pardew sitting there in the interview looking like a black and white minstrel and doing jazz hands.

The likes of Pards, 'arry & Hughes easily getting job after job does as much to prove the need for a Rooney Rule as Paul Ince does to have people running from it.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The most misguided and unfortunate thing about this whole idea is that it forces us Brits to immediately think of ex Man Utd and Everton granny shagging spud head Wayne Rooney. Couldn't we at least call it the 'John Barnes rule' over here rather than adopting the US monicker?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Changing the rules, implementing processes for problems which may or may not exist
Does my head in
Purputrators of discrimination should be dealt with. Harshly. If x bame applicant applied for y job why did he not get an interview when z less qualified white manager did. Thats the question? really isnt it? :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Does this mean that clubs cannot just appoint someone to the job? Do they have to go through an interview process in order to be compliant?

filled with problems isnt it?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Yeah you're quite right, nobody has been denied a managerial job in football just because they are a BAME candidate.
It's just a coincidence that over 90% of all managers are white.

There are even less female managers. Should at least one woman also be interviewed? Obviously women can't compete with Men on the pitch but why can't they manage just as well as a man?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You're putting the cart before the horse.

How many BAME candidates have been excluded from jobs, in the first place?

how many have applied?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
There are even less female managers. Should at least one woman also be interviewed? Obviously women can't compete with Men on the pitch but why can't they manage just as well as a man?

Are you willingly ignoring transgender applicants, or was it just an oversight? Are these female candidates you mention black, white, mixed race or Asian?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've mentally forecast five names to arrive on this thread. I win myself a prize if three of them turn up. Any of these will attack the policy. I'll talk more if I win.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Over time progress will naturally mean more BAME people becoming managers/head coaches, same as naturally over the years more and more BAME players came into the PL and the EFL (in terms of proportion of the population, are they actually over-represented in the PL now? - no matter, they're there on merit). Should the process of speeding up the process of increasing the number of BAME managers in football? Yes, probably.
I don't think this Rooney rule will help though, quite honestly. I've known of many, many interviews where the rules require vacancies are thrown open and candidates interviewed (it's pretty much standard in the public services, for instance) but in reality the interviews are just a farce - Buggins has already been selected; the interviews will be conducted; everybody involved wastes a day or two when they could be doing their proper job - and Buggins gets the job anyway.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think it's time we Anglo Saxons demanded fair representation in football teams. Proportionally, we are extremely unrepresented. I'm outraged. :ffsparr:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I fully support this, as it's fairly clear that discrimination exists in the game at a higher level at many clubs. The demographic of most boardrooms doesn't help this situation. This (the rule) is healthy and very much needed to strike a better balance in our game. I also think the female point is very worthy... why not?!? It's about time we took the game right out of the dark ages and got sodding real.

For all we know a female Fergie could be just around the corner, if indeed we ever make it around the bend to see it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is a tough one, I totally get the reason behind but it could actually cause more issues. What if a BAME manager does not apply? You then have the issue of BAME managers applying and not getting the job which will cause further questioning and scrutiny. If the BAME manager does get the job then it will open the question of whether he got it simply due to positive discrimination.

I organised a science meeting symposium some years ago and was pulled up because all six proposed invitees were white and male. I pointed out that these were the leading experts in the field. I was told 'nevertheless please find a female and/or minority'. In this instance it was about how it 'looked' (not my words). In the end I did manage to acquire a female speaker, who was somewhat junior and reluctant, but it all went well enough. Not sure what to think about this but I felt I was being accused of racism and sexism (I wan't actually accused of anything) while at the same time the research society was concerned primarily about how things 'looked'. Oh well.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As a white ex-England player, you are twice as likely to end up in a managerial job as your black counterpart.
Maybe more of the white players want to get into management?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe white players do, maybe BAME players dont.
Maybe white players do because they see an easier path to success, maybe BAME players dont.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Maybe, but if so - it's a fair assumption the likelihood that they'll get overlooked for interviews and jobs is putting off a significant % from even trying... kind of, why bother, they'll (insert club here) never appoint me as I don't fit the accepted management stereotype that has existed for decades errrmm since time began.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe white players do, maybe BAME players dont.
Maybe white players do because they see an easier path to success, maybe BAME players dont.
If that's the case, what's the problem? Also I'd say that an easier path to success is getting a role in the media instead, and we have a good number of BAME ex-players in the media.

Maybe, but if so - it's a fair assumption the likelihood that they'll get overlooked for interviews and jobs is putting off a significant % from even trying... kind of, why bother, they'll (insert club here) never appoint me as I don't fit the accepted management stereotype that has existed for decades errrmm since time began.
I don't know if that's the case or not. I'd argue that it is an assumption, but not necessarily a fair one.

Being a manager looks like a really bloody hard job. If you've had a successful career as a footballer, why bother?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Confused by this ruling , does it mean that suppose that a club has had 2 applicants from non BAME persons that they also have to find a token BAME peep to interview in order to be compliant ?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If that's the case, what's the problem? Also I'd say that an easier path to success is getting a role in the media instead, and we have a good number of BAME ex-players in the media.

I don't know if that's the case or not. I'd argue that it is an assumption, but not necessarily a fair one.

Being a manager looks like a really bloody hard job. If you've had a successful career as a footballer, why bother?

True, but that might be viewed as suggesting (allegedly) that BAME players don't have the required work ethic to bother with the stress, pressure and strain - as apposed to the non BAME ex pros willing to be a 'lamb to the slaughter'. Beyond this, if you had a career in league 1 and 2 I'd suggest you'd still want to or need to earn a living from the game - so why not as a manager?!? I think it's stretching it a wee bit to suggest it's purely a 'baller' attitude towards the reality of management.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here