Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Elton John

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Punk was anti everything, I wasn't ashamed of it. People are entitled to their opinions.

I was seriously anti punk but I agree, for the most part I still feel the same yet I have warmed to the Clash and the Stranglers as well as a few Sex Pistols songs

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
Ronald Reagan used "Born In The USA" as his campaign anthem and won, shame he never read the lyrics

I thought that was why Springsteen never played it as a rock tune again but just did it acoustically, maybe just something i read. I saw Elton john at Sussex many years ago (freebie, couldn't say no), was an odd day as some fans turned up casual and others not much short of ball gowns/shirt n tie. I liked some of his early stuff but when kiss the bride was released, that was enough. Just reminds me of Liberace now

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bollox. F*** off back to the Fatherland. Your only contributions on here are petty sniping. You just insult anyone who disagrees with you. I think you think you're being clever. Time to put you back on ignore for a while, because there's no point in trying to actually have a discussion with you.

Auf wiedersehen

That’s fine. But in my mind you are the exact definition of a narrow minded and blinkered person who overlooks everything in favour of blind patriotism; in short a Little Englander.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I watched the commemorations of D-Day and how we all united to fight a common enemy with awe at the bravery of those young men, with gratitude for what they achieved, and with huge pride in my country. Pray tell me then, how does that make me a 'little Englander'?
BTW, I am proud to be both English and British.

Me too but then ashamed of the morons in Portugal tarnishing our nation yet again.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Going tonight with Mrs WTD with knobs on (mine of course) :), it's our 34th Anniversary and she loves Elton's music as much as I do.

We watched the EJ film 'Rocketman' last night in the lead up to his Farewell Tour gig tonight. Like a lot of people, he had a tough upbringing which comes through in a lot of musicians music, he is no different and it gives it an edge.

I wish him all the best and I don't care about his politics etc, we all have a point of view, some wish to express it while others shy away, it's a choice you make.

Let's all enjoy and celebrate music in whatever form it takes, it touches the soul like nothing else.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I watched the commemorations of D-Day and how we all united to fight a common enemy with awe at the bravery of those young men, with gratitude for what they achieved, and with huge pride in my country. Pray tell me then, how does that make me a 'little Englander'?
BTW, I am proud to be both English and British.
And proud to be European?

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Surprised we have got this far without someone saying “ can he play LB?”......oh.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Is it true that Morrissey is his warm up act?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And proud to be European?

No, I'm British, and comfortable with that. Happy to live in friendship alongside Europe (and as a part of the geographical continent of Europe), yes, absolutely, but no, I don't identify as (to use a current popular expression) European.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Never felt European and in my mid 50s I doubt I ever will. Culture is so, so different on the mainland, they have a different mindset to us, for better or worse, I think.

I’ve lived in Germany, Spain and France as well as England and feel unashamedly European, and I’m older than you.

Except when it comes to sport and then I am 100% English and British if required :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here