Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Elton John

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was a MASSIVE EJ fan in the early days, lost interest when he went Glitzy and very commercial. He’s a fine musician though and I wouldn’t give a flying what he said if I still liked his music.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
anyone brave enough to say they're going to see him today after his 'ashamed to be British' rant ?

I have seen him twice over the years. He’s fun and excellent entertainment.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Mrs Hut and her Groovy Gang are going

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
anyone brave enough to say they're going to see him today after his 'ashamed to be British' rant ?

He has spoken out on many issues over the years, usually in a dignified and articulate manner. I think its easy to understand his being " ashamed " when you look at the commemorations of D-Day and how we all united to fight a common enemy compared to our little Englander mindset today.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He has spoken out on many issues over the years, usually in a dignified and articulate manner. I think its easy to understand his being " ashamed " when you look at the commemorations of D-Day and how we all united to fight a common enemy compared to our little Englander mindset today.

I watched the commemorations of D-Day and how we all united to fight a common enemy with awe at the bravery of those young men, with gratitude for what they achieved, and with huge pride in my country. Pray tell me then, how does that make me a 'little Englander'?
BTW, I am proud to be both English and British.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Just had a listen to a rant from him. I agree that the unmentionable word has torn this country apart and I agree with him about politicians. He’s being no ruder about leavers than they are about remainers. What’s the problem? Enjoy the concert, I’m sure he’ll be excellent. I have friends who are leavers, I am a remainer, we can talk and take the piss out of each other about it without having to tell each other to “**** off”

Cannot understand why someone’s political views would make you ashamed or brave because you want to go to see them if you like the music :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY5_pz2TM50

Anyway here’s a clip from his early days that I still enjoy listening to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPEfQqLNDto

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was a MASSIVE EJ fan in the early days, lost interest when he went Glitzy and very commercial. He’s a fine musician though and I wouldn’t give a flying what he said if I still liked his music.

Great musician and entertainer indeed. I do still like his music incidentally, and as far as feeling ashamed to be British is concerned l know where he is coming from.

As someone else said though, that's a topic for another thread.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Couldn’t get a ticket!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I watched the commemorations of D-Day and how we all united to fight a common enemy with awe at the bravery of those young men, with gratitude for what they achieved, and with huge pride in my country. Pray tell me then, how does that make me a 'little Englander'?
BTW, I am proud to be both English and British.

But you are a Little Englander. We know this from your various ramblings on other threads.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Cannot understand why someone’s political views would make you ashamed or brave because you want to go to see them if you like the music :shrug:

Totally agree, but it seems that Trump supporters in America are getting the hump with Nils Lofgren, Little Steven and Bruce Springsteen about their anti Trump comments. Which I find very amusing as you only need to listen to their lyrics over the years to have an idea of where they stand on politics, but it seems this is too much for some.

I wouldn't be surprised if some idiots started a burning albums event to protest against them.

Just enjoy the music and forget about the politics.

OK its 40 years ago, but did anyone stop enjoying the Jam when Paul Weller said the Jam would be voting Conservative - No (He of course quickly moved away from that position with the support to Red Wedge)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Totally agree, but it seems that Trump supporters in America are getting the hump with Nils Lofgren, Little Steven and Bruce Springsteen about their anti Trump comments. Which I find very amusing as you only need to listen to their lyrics over the years to have an idea of where they stand on politics, but it seems this is too much for some.

I wouldn't be surprised if some idiots started a burning albums event to protest against them.

OK its 40 years ago, but did anyone stop enjoying the Jam when Paul Weller said the Jam would be voting Conservative - No (He of course quickly moved away from that position with the support to Red Wedge)

With the boot on the other foot. Jackson Browne and Neil Young irritate the hell out of me when they start getting political during concerts. I didn’t come to hear your political views, I came for the music. Stop being a musician and go into politics if you feel that strongly, now **** off and play the music I came to hear :smile:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Ronald Reagan used "Born In The USA" as his campaign anthem and won, shame he never read the lyrics

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But you are a Little Englander. We know this from your various ramblings on other threads.

Bollox. F*** off back to the Fatherland. Your only contributions on here are petty sniping. You just insult anyone who disagrees with you. I think you think you're being clever. Time to put you back on ignore for a while, because there's no point in trying to actually have a discussion with you.

Auf wiedersehen

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Punk was anti everything, I wasn't ashamed of it. People are entitled to their opinions.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bollox. F*** off back to the Fatherland. Your only contributions on here are petty sniping. You just insult anyone who disagrees with you. I think you think you're being clever. Time to put you back on ignore for a while, because there's no point in trying to actually have a discussion with you.

Auf wiedersehen

Got to love NSC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here