Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Which other teams supporters have you sat with?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Apart from the Albion, what other supporters have you sat/stood with at Football matches? When? Why?

This is something I've been wondering about*. Of course you may have only ever been to matches surrounded by other Albion fans, or maybe you've only otherwise been amongst home fans when you couldn't get a ticket for the Albion end.

But I bet quite a few have been to see England. And then maybe other teams on holiday in the UK or abroad. But who have you seen? When was it? I was just wondering in the off season.

*And no I'm not looking for second teams or having a go or any of that crap.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Went to Chesterfield away back in early seventies with some mates. We had done Southend on the Friday, stopped inNorwich overnight and to Chesterfield for the Saturday. We stood on the terraces with the Chesterfield fans and found them to be the funniest bunch I have ever come across. Pre match in their supporters club was a mass of tables occupied by geezers playing dominoes A good weekend away.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I've sat with Ad-Dammam and Saints supporters during a game in Saudi Arabia in 1982. Kevin Keegan played for the Saints.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Reading at the Madejski (without their knowing) because I was in the home end
Ditto Colchester at Layer Road

Hang on....I have dozens of examples of this, and surely this isn't what you mean? ???

What about at the Amex in West Upper vs Leeds with a Leeds fan (my little *brother). He hated it so much he has refused offers of a seat with me ever since :lolol:

(*not to be confused with my beardy other brother who often accompanies me)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Charlton at Selhurst Park, Bristol City & Cambridge United, all in the 91 season iirc, why probably because we thought we woz ard, reality was somewhat different I suspect.

Edit Cambridge probably 97

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Took a West Ham fan, and a Southampton fan to see us against their teams at the Withdean. Presumably seen others at England games, but can't remember.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I've been the the JJB and sat in the corporate hospitality vs Portsmouth in 2006 when Pompey won to stay in the premier league, I won the tickets from Barclays. I also went to the Emirates and sat in their corporate ring vs West Ham in their first competitive defeat in the stadium. Bobby Zamora scored the winner and I went mad signing Zamora songs from his time at Brighton which helped me convince those around me I wasn't a West Ham supporter

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I wasn't sure about sitting in the home end when Albion were away - I've done that twice, at Northampton and Coventry - but I wasn't sure if other people had done that sort of thing a lot. I hated it both times I did it and I won't do it again.

For other matches, when I was a student in Sheffield I lived a few streets away from Bramall Lane one year, so went to see Sheffield United quite a few times when they had the terrible season in the First Division, when Dave Bassett was manager. I did enjoy them beating Man United that season, but not losing to Palace. I was also there for the last match they had the standing in place - when the directors came and stood in the terrace for the second half.

In Sheffield I also went to Wednesday quite a few times because the people I knew were Wednesday rather than United, and was in the Wednesday end for Wednesday versus United (when Untied won) with 42,000 in the ground. There were a lot of good players for Wednesday back in 1991/2 or so - Trevor Francis, Chris Waddle right at the end. I was at Wednesday for the last standing match on the kop there, too. I went back once in around 2004 to see Wednesday beat Palace, which was nice.

My father was brought up in Tottenham and so my first ever two football matches were at White Hart Lane in the early 1980s, with my father and grandfather - versus West Ham and then Notts County. I did go in the away end when Spurs played Wednesday in 1991, so the only teams I've sat in the away end with are Spurs (once) and Albion (loads of times).

Apart from that I've been once to see Wimbledon when they were at Selhurst Park. A very boring draw with Middlesborough and not much fun.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
West Ham in hospitality with Lesley Grantham and Nick Berry when West Ham played United. Liam Brady best player on the pitch in a dull game

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Being an ex-pat tickets are hard to come by for me. Through various family contacts I managed to get tickets for my son, grandson and myself from a Fulham contact in the main stand just by the halfway line.
It was brilliant, selfies with pints of Guiness with the Thames as background. Loved it.
I was told by son-in-law (Spurs) that it was very gentile and you may well be offered cucumber sandwiches from people around you.
Brighton supporters were to my right and never stopped singing all match. We were 2 nil at half-time and bossing it. The people around me were very quiet as were we. It was all so polite.
Suddenly a bloke in the row behind us, all on his own, shouted “Fulham you are shite”. I was stunned but said nothing and there was a pregnant pause. Then my host turned to us and said, “he’s right though isn’t he”.
Love Fulham.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m a Real Madrid fanatic, but have stood/sat with Albion fans.

Back to reality, I went to a West Ham home game with a supporter in about 1992. Plus Alloa, Albion Rovers, Airdrieonians matches with their fans on many visits to Scotland years ago.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Have done a fair few games in the home end out of necessity, championship promotion season and first season in the prem.

But my most memorable one was at Plymouth. A mate and I had no other option but to go on the official supporters club coach. First and only time I’ve ever done that. We found the experience so dispiriting that we decided we would make our day that little bit more interesting by going on the home terrace, rather than risk being made to sit down all game.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I used to go to Highbury as my ex and her family were season ticket holders and if the old man couldn’t go I’d tag along. Lovely ground, real old school outside with burger vans and badge sellers etc, this was around 2001 so Henry and Bergkamp etc in their prime and I think I saw Ashley Cole either make his debut or score his first goal, something like that.

A bit closer to home, I saw Newcastle play away at Portsmouth and sat with the away fans in that stand with no roof behind the goal. I remember Micheal Owen and Obifema Martins scoring in a victory for the Toon. At half time we were all crowded in the bogs having a crafty cig and the stewards barged in and led the oldest most fragile Newcastle out and I remember someone with a deep Geordie accent saying ‘that’s the ugly face of football hooliganism rearing it’s ugly head again as he was taken away!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Done lots, but the strangest was standing with Palace fans (and Palace supporting friends) at the Goldstone for a pre-season match around 1994/5 time? Was billed as Steve Foster's testimonial I seem to recall.

Crap game, but interesting to see a game supporting Brighton but surrounded by people who saw every singe decision differently to me...…..and also the choice verbals being sent my way after the match walking down the side round along the East Stand towards Hove Park by blokes who thought, not unreasonably, that I was Palace!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Man City supporter last game of the season. Didn't even realise as I didn't speak to him. When they scored one of their many goals he clapped and was quickly ejected for his own safety, he'd been spotted by a fair few sat around me.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Quite a few. Liverpool (Kop) ticket from a scally scalper outside. Tottenham (old white hart lane) when they played West Ham.
Chelsea (got tickets from a blind auction for charity. I was a guest of Chopper Harris, went for dinner with him afterwards. Talked about BHAFC all night.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Was in the Longstand at Turfmoor with the Burnley fans in 1975 to see them play Liverpool and in 1976 to see them play Blackburn. Very feisty encounters off the pitch , can't remember the games that much. I was told not to say anything because they (the rest of the crowd) hated Southerners even more than Blackburn.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have never been in a home end watching Albion away, but I've been to many matches as a neutral fan with family and friends.

Yeovil Town- Father is from there and my grandparents lived near the old Huish ground, this is when Yeovil were non league.
Bristol City- Went when I was staying in Somerset.
Tottenham- Father supported Spurs for some reason, he took me to WHL a few times, it was just a day out at football for me.
Wimbledon- Went to Selhurst :eek: to watch the old Dons a few times for a day out with friends.
Pompey - I was a kid :facepalm:
Arsenal- At Highbury, a good day out drinking, all paid for by a plumbing suppliers :) :drink:
West Ham - At Wembley, league cup final V Liverpool, got invited by a mate when I was at school.
Celtic- Went with a mate that supports them to a friendly at Fulham, good day on the piss but I ignored some of their songs. I'm glad none of their fans saw my Union Jack tattoo :whistle:

I've also been to many non league matches.

Edit- Also been to some games in France.

Jul 7, 2003
Stood on the Holte End with Villa fans for league cup game against Barnsley as something to do while working away. Likewise, Highbury for Arsenal v Liverpool in the league cup. Have also been to Maine Road for City v Everton in the league. Ended up at Highbury in Albion hat and scarf for Arsenal v Port Vale in the FA Cup as we were on our way back from an abortive trip to Macclesfield to see the Albion (match postponed and our train had broken down anyway).

Strangest one is when I stood with Carlisle fans on New Years Eve at Gillingham one year - many of them had left at midnight for a lunchtime kick-off and were hoping they might make it back to see the new year in. I only went because a mate had Carlisle as his second team and I had nothing better to do.

AFC Totton v Truro City in the FA Vase as it was one of the first games at New Wembley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here