Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's world cup

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
more publicity that England game yesturday.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Horribly overhyped by the BBC. No excuse for giving over BBC1 to this other than it ticks all the right-on boxes and is cheap to broadcast. About as thrilled by the prospect of this as I always am by the ham-fisted well-meaning REMF game. Must have gone to a dozen of those. Never yet made the final whistle let alone the near-obligatory penalty shootout.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Horribly overhyped by the BBC. No excuse for giving over BBC1 to this other than it ticks all the right-on boxes and is cheap to broadcast. About as thrilled by the prospect of this as I always am by the ham-fisted well-meaning REMF game. Must have gone to a dozen of those. Never yet made the final whistle let alone the near-obligatory penalty shootout.

Aww diddums, it's tough for you isn't it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
BBC1 viewing figures for the game about to drop by several million in, oh, 20 minutes, as just about everybody in their target demographic retunes to Love Island :lol:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Soccer is an English word invented by English people and since adopted by Americans.

I've never had an issue with the word "soccer". What I do have an issue with is North Americans insisting on calling that other sport "football".

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Disappointed by your remarks about the REMF. I was Robert's football manager at one time and played a season with him in my team. What would you suggest to make it better?

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I've never had an issue with the word "soccer". What I do have an issue with is North Americans insisting on calling that other sport "football".

Why? There are at least 6 different sports that I can think of that get called football. Do you get annoyed when the Italians call it calico?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Disappointed by your remarks about the REMF. I was Robert's football manager at one time and played a season with him in my team. What would you suggest to make it better?

Read my post again. I was talking about the quality of the REMF games. IMHO they're pretty much on a par, however noble the sentiment, with the womens game. Can't bear to watch a full 90 minutes of either. My fault I'm sure.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

I agree - extremely poor form with remark about REMF game. My son had the privilege to be part of a mini soccer demo at half time when the REMF game was at the Amex a few years ago. Wonderful day and a truly great cause - one that I hope brings a bit of comfort and pride to the Eaton family and Robert’s friends.

As regards the women’s World Cup / the French are playing some great football. I don’t honestly get the hostility of some towards women’s football. It is growing at a phenomenal rate and the standard is only going to get better and better. So try to enjoy it because you are making yourself look a bit silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Why? There are at least 6 different sports that I can think of that get called football. Do you get annoyed when the Italians call it calico?

No, they're not an English speaking nation.

They could have called it anything else. Football doesn't even make much sense.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Low quality minority sport that gets way more coverage than it should. I've yet to meet one person who is interested in it and yet the BBC are wetting themselves with excitement over it. I sincerely hope the England team absolutely bomb and are out after 2 games. If they do progress we won't hear the last of 'the rise of women's football' / 'the prima donna males coud learn a lot from them' etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here