Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tomer Hemed - contract extended according to Premier League

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I really like Tomer, so I'm in the 'couldn't give a rats ass what other people might think..' camp. He's a much better PL player than Jurgen - his record suggests so, even if his transfer fee isn't quite so bloated. Also if GP MKII likes to play a target man who can drop deep (I've read he does) and release wide attackers, then Tomer fits this bill perfectly.

Sorry to disappoint the majority, but I'd rather start with a fit Hemed than an ancient Murray, a disciplinary waiting to happen in Andone or a frankly terrible Locadia any day of the week.

Obviously if we sign a hot prospect and/or a proven alternative that may change things, but right now I believe he might fit the GP system perfectly.

If this is the reason behind the new contract/extension, then I'm rather warming to GP and his logic - ultimately, if he's going to play his system as I understand it then I wouldn't rule out seeing the likes of Suttner, the Greyhound and others suddenly re-appear in the stripes. You can't shoehorn players into a system in the PL, particularly mediocre ones and we're not going to spend billions... so what do we have? how does GP like to play? who suits that system best? Tomer screams GP, and if he saw something in him last season watching him score vs the Swans, well who are we to question that logic?

If indeed, this is why the contract has been extended.

The next few weeks will prove VERY interesting.

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I’ve nothing against Hemed, decent player.

However the anti Murray agenda that seems to go with it is shocking, 13 goals last season which was the same as Lacazette and Richarlison. Looked tired as the season went on as was being overused, would still rather have Murray than Hemed and we don’t need to carry 2 strikers with zero pace

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

However the anti Murray agenda that seems to go with it is shocking, 13 goals last season which was the same as Lacazette and Richarlison. Looked tired as the season went on as was being overused, would still rather have Murray than Hemed and we don’t need to carry 2 strikers with zero pace

I don't think the way GP likes to play is dependant on a central striker with pace... I really don't. Hence no anti Murray agenda from me, moreover an acceptance that he can't play at 100% more than once every couple of weeks. A rotation of Tomer and Glenn, will be something I'd like to see. Murray at the Amex and Tomer battling away, away from home.

I actually think Andone and Locadia (the latter in particular) might go the journey this close season.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I don't think the way GP likes to play is dependant on a central striker with pace... I really don't. Hence no anti Murray agenda from me, moreover an acceptance that he can't play at 100% more than once every couple of weeks. A rotation of Tomer and Glenn, will be something I'd like to see. Murray at the Amex and Tomer battling away, away from home.

I actually think Andone and Locadia (the latter in particular) might go the journey this close season.

You might well be correct, and I understand how a striker might not NEED pace in the new system however when you have two strikers who don’t have any it allows the opposition to maintain a very high line and compress the game when we have the ball, something which happened last season and we struggled with. I think the option to Murray next season has to have some attributes that Glenn doesn’t have.

Can Hemed be a squad player next season ? Certainly but I can’t see him making the 18 unless Glenn is injured or rested completely. I wouldn’t be happy with one of them starting and one on the bench... too one dimensional and we need to give our opponents more to think about.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
You might well be correct, and I understand how a striker might not NEED pace in the new system however when you have two strikers who don’t have any it allows the opposition to maintain a very high line and compress the game when we have the ball, something which happened last season and we struggled with. I think the option to Murray next season has to have some attributes that Glenn doesn’t have.

Can Hemed be a squad player next season ? Certainly but I can’t see him making the 18 unless Glenn is injured or rested completely. I wouldn’t be happy with one of them starting and one on the bench... too one dimensional and we need to give our opponents more to think about.

You might be right and yes, if we drop deep we're back to square one. The task GP has, is to get us playing a higher line and pushing the wide men up the pitch to greater effect. Can our lot do it? Under CH it would seem not, but GP might if he opts for the back three be able to develop a system that allows greater freedom to more of the players in the final third. whilst using the extra men in the middle to cover the wide space... eeeeppp sounds dangerously Hyypia I know, but with better players and improved coaching, who knows...? Ultimately playing a two man strike force is unlikely imho, not improbable but unlikely. Like I say GP seems to favour a big midfield with differing roles to that which we've grown accustomed to under Chris...

In the end we just want to be entertained and stay up, the Greyhound will look after the former (ha!) and hopefully Tomer will get a chance and bang a few in by dropping deep and arriving late... if you get my meaning? Rather than being isolated up top, winning the ball with zero support and losing it again. Therein lies the major challenge for GP, and the rub.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17693592.tomer-hemed-secures-contract-extension-at-albion/

And so it would appear to be a fact... Here's hoping Tomer has a chance pre-season to prove his quality. Injury permitting :/

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Or, there’s many like me who rate both Hemed and Murray. Plus hope we sign a new first choice centre forward this summer, purely to add pace, plus age is against those two.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Glenn Murray

Murray is better I agree, but in my opinion not significantly enough, coupled with his age, our over reliance on him and our other attacking options, for us to have been in a position to have loaned out Hemed last season. Personally I would have had him in the squad.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Great stuff.Desperately needed cover for Glenn,but still think Andone can do a job.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The anti Muzza brigade conveniently ignore his vital PL goals that kept us up last 2 seasons, FACT.

Blaming the negative performances caused by an often ten man defence, on an isolated Muzza. We saw when England played Holland, how an isolated centre forward even of Kane’s class, is toothless when left marooned.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Perhaps Shane should go up front.I see he scored a cracker from a set-piece last night.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Isn’t the extension (which from reports looks to have been simply ‘triggered’ by the club) more likely to be a financial decision rather than a playing one ? He’s now still contracted to the club, which means he can be sold or sent out on loan for a fee - if the club decided not to take up the extension presumably he would have been a free agent and we’d get nothing.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Isn’t the extension (which from reports looks to have been simply ‘triggered’ by the club) more likely to be a financial decision rather than a playing one ? He’s now still contracted to the club, which means he can be sold or sent out on loan for a fee - if the club decided not to take up the extension presumably he would have been a free agent and we’d get nothing.

This.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

But then we wouldn't have had 10 pages of doom mongering.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I really like Tomer, so I'm in the 'couldn't give a rats ass what other people might think..' camp. He's a much better PL player than Jurgen - his record suggests so, even if his transfer fee isn't quite so bloated. Also if GP MKII likes to play a target man who can drop deep (I've read he does) and release wide attackers, then Tomer fits this bill perfectly...............Sorry to disappoint the majority, but I'd rather start with a fit Hemed than an ancient Murray, a disciplinary waiting to happen in Andone or a frankly terrible Locadia any day of the week.
........................If this is the reason behind the new contract/extension, then I'm rather warming to GP and his logic - ultimately, if he's going to play his system as I understand it then I wouldn't rule out seeing the likes of Suttner, the Greyhound and others suddenly re-appear in the stripes.

CH quickly worked out that Locadia is not a central No.9 style striker so there is no way the more progressive Potter will play him there so it’s pointless comparing him with Hemed, just shows your disdain for Locadia really.

Oddly, you then claim to have read about Potter’s system (he has many) and suggest that the wing backs we signed and dumped might be brought back and played as wing backs.

Yet the wide attackers you speak of (or inside forwards as I call them) are exactly the positions Locadia & Ali J were used to playing in Holland; extremely successfully, seems that you’ll give Greyhound & serial-bungasliga-Wing-Back-assist-maker-Suttner another chance yet your hatred of Locadia clouds your vision of seeing him given a go in his preferred position. Once Locadia is given his chance in that system, you’ll be blushing and apologising about the time that you ridiculously suggested Hemed might be a better PL player than him.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Confirmed in the Argus now

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here