Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tomer Hemed - contract extended according to Premier League

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
This 100%. I suspect sacking CH was part of this decision, to make us a more attractive prospect for players in terms of playing style, however, as you say, no point bringing in a new manager if they don't have the cash to tailor the squad the way they want it. Trouble is, fans seem to equate this with splashing 30 million quid willy-nilly on players and then paying them obscene wages (reminiscent of the transfer strategy of a certain club up the road in Croydon), which isn't the case. Whilst my point about insane wages stands, I do think the ceiling has to be raised slightly if we want to compete. Whilst the moneyball strategy has yielded some diamonds, if we want to get anywhere in the mini-league that is 7th-20th in the PL, then we need to put our money where our mouth is. And that's not to say that TB hasn't delivered fantastic investment, because he has, but its probably better if we're signing players that GP has specifically picked out as his desired targets that are also interesting the likes of Bournemouth, WHU for, say, 5 million more and want 10k more in wages than another target who plays in a weaker foreign league and isn't as desired, but whom we know to be a bit cheaper. That doesn't mean going insane, it means taking a continually measured, but a fundamentally less subservient and more competitive approach in the transfer market. It's a matter of small margins. Paying that extra 3-5 million in transfer fees here and there, and offering that extra 5-10k in wages here and there, particularly if the player is one of our no.1 targets, could well be the difference between being forever in that 17th-15th battle or moving into that 10-15th battle and beyond, which I assume, judging by the decision to sack CH, it's something TB is very keen on.

Completely agree.

I think you can break up your 7-20th mini-league into two. 7-14th and 15-20th. We are the top end of the latter, and want to move into the bottom of the former. To do that we need to compete for the players those teams are chasing. My fear is that the club think we've already signed the players to get us there, and CH just didn't get the best out of them. I'd love that to be the case, and Potter starts getting a tune out of Ali J and Locadia, but I can't see it. To be in the next mini-league up, we need to stop getting scared off when our targets are being chased by clubs who will bid into the £20m+ category and beyond £60k in wages.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Murray
Andone
Locadia
- - - - - -

Hemed

Don’t need 4 when you play one up top

Even if we do play 1 up top, Murray will get injuries, Andone will get suspensions, and when they coincide, we just have Locadia.

Feel good about that do you?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Murray
Andone
Locadia
- - - - - -

Hemed

Don’t need 4 when you play one up top

Murray might last half a season but Potter wants pace. And Locadia and Andone hasn't proved to be better players than Hemed.

We also know that two injured strikers out of 3 isn't helpful.

I rate Murray and Hemed as pretty much tried and tested but one has a limited shelf life, with Andone and Locadia still to show.

Right now we are not spoilt on striking options and they all have something to prove. Singling Hemed out from the other 3 is a bit unfair in my view and only Potter knows what he wants from a player.

Hemed goals before us:

https://youtu.be/AEFHgpdsY6o

Hemed goalds with us:

https://youtu.be/ClJ1UTfIQiw

If these videos were adverts for a player we were interested in we would all look forward to his signing. I would even go out on a limb and say with Murray's age and pace taken into consideration, that Hemed is the best striker we have.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Hemed isn’t any quicker than Murray though.

If we didn’t have Murray I’d keep Hemed

But seeing as we need a new striker I’d let Hemed go and get games somewhere as he deserves to play.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Completely agree.

I think you can break up your 7-20th mini-league into two. 7-14th and 15-20th. We are the top end of the latter, and want to move into the bottom of the former. To do that we need to compete for the players those teams are chasing. My fear is that the club think we've already signed the players to get us there, and CH just didn't get the best out of them. I'd love that to be the case, and Potter starts getting a tune out of Ali J and Locadia, but I can't see it. To be in the next mini-league up, we need to stop getting scared off when our targets are being chased by clubs who will bid into the £20m+ category and beyond £60k in wages.

Seconded...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If these videos were adverts for a player we were interested in we would all look forward to his signing. I would even go out on a limb and say with Murray's age and pace taken into consideration, that Hemed is the best striker we have.

That is potentially the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on here. :lolol: Ridiculous to suggest that our best striker is the one who was robbed of his squad number last summer and then sent packing off to QPR, where he was, at best, par for the course. He is quite clearly not up to this level physically, intellectually or technically.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That is potentially the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on here. :lolol: Ridiculous to suggest that our best striker is the one who was robbed of his squad number last summer and then sent packing off to QPR, where he was, at best, par for the course. He is quite clearly not up to this level physically, intellectually or technically.

Like what Bloom and Poyet did with Murray and Mackerel Smith :lolol: Yep Hughton, Hemed and Locadia we all make mistakes ???

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Like what Bloom and Poyet did with Murray and Mackerel Smith :lolol: Yep Hughton, Hemed and Locadia we all make mistakes ???

What even is that response? Murray left when his contract expired, he wasn't robbed of his squad number to be handed to someone else and Mackail-Smith, nothing to do with mackerel, inherited the number 12 shirt which was vacant when he signed. LuaLua's loan had ended. Also, Mackail-Smith wore #12 for Peterborough before signing for us.

Hemed is nowhere near the required standard for Premier League football, but he was an important part of our progression from relegation candidates to promotion candidates. He wasn't quite good enough to get us over the line, we needed to re-sign Glenn Murray in order to do that, but he was an important member of that team.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What even is that response? Murray left when his contract expired, he wasn't robbed of his squad number to be handed to someone else and Mackail-Smith, nothing to do with mackerel, inherited the number 12 shirt which was vacant when he signed. LuaLua's loan had ended. Also, Mackail-Smith wore #12 for Peterborough before signing for us.

Hemed is nowhere near the required standard for Premier League football, but he was an important part of our progression from relegation candidates to promotion candidates. He wasn't quite good enough to get us over the line, we needed to re-sign Glenn Murray in order to do that, but he was an important member of that team.

Ah now you mean specific shirt number not shirt. So Bobby Zamora robbed Lua Lua of his shirt too and Lua Lua adopted another number, but still in the starting 11?

Poyet turned down the chance to keep Murray and get his Mackerel, and he took to us like a fish out of water. Of course Murray was robbed of his shirt and then eventually claimed it back.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Players at the end of a contract don't usual sign another deal so that their owning club can then punt them on. They prefer to be free agents so that the bulk of any transfer fee goes to them as a signing-on fee.

It would seem strange that Hemed wilfully re-signed to us so I can only guess we had an option on extending the deal that he had no say but to agree to.

(Someone has probably made this point already - I've not read the thread)

Yep.
"No details on the Tomer Hemed contract extension from #bhafc as yet but likely to be a one-year deal connected to a clause in the 18-month contract he signed in November 2017."
https://twitter.com/Brian__Owen/status/1137332671191887872

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He isn’t quick... you can’t say Potter wants pace and then mention Hemed. They are just too similar in many aspects, but Murray is just better than Hemed.

I implied that he has more pace than Murray and is probably no slower than Locadia and Andone. Of course Hemed doesn't have the pace of Stirling.

As I said; If Murray has to dribble more than 5 yards with the ball his legs just give way. Next season Murray will only be good for the last 20 mins coming on from the bench.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What sort of fee are people expecting us to get for Tomer? He didn't do a great deal for QPR last season and there's no real threat of him being involved for us. I think anything north of £1million is outstanding business for us.

On the basis that we sold Baldock for somewhere in the region of FIVE million, I think you are seriously undervaluing Hemed.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
On the basis that we sold Baldock for somewhere in the region of FIVE million, I think you are seriously undervaluing Hemed.

IF we got anything like FIVE million for Baldock, we absolutely robbed them blind. Totally blind. I think flogging Hemed for a profit would be great business, but if we can rip someone off then by all means - why not. Reading need a replacement for the rubbish striker they bought from us last summer, why not try again and get them interested?!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I implied that he has more pace than Murray and is probably no slower than Locadia and Andone. Of course Hemed doesn't have the pace of Stirling.

As I said; If Murray has to dribble more than 5 yards with the ball his legs just give way. Next season Murray will only be good for the last 20 mins coming on from the bench.

That will be the same Glenn Murray who scored 13 goals this past season ?

I’m not saying he should be our first choice striker but he is a long long way in front of Hemed as a goal threat at this level.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That will be the same Glenn Murray who scored 13 goals this past season ?

I’m not saying he should be our first choice striker but he is a long long way in front of Hemed as a goal threat at this level.

Murray has a history of scoring goals at this level, not massive amounts but enough to keep every team he's played for in this league. Hemed's not close to being as good as Murray, which is largely why we got promoted with Glenn in the side, rather than Tomer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Murray has a history of scoring goals at this level, not massive amounts but enough to keep every team he's played for in this league. Hemed's not close to being as good as Murray, which is largely why we got promoted with Glenn in the side, rather than Tomer.

But Tomer, like everybody else, can give Murray a fair few years.
Nobody can dispute Glenn has spent all of 2019 looking like everyone of his 137 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here