Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tomer Hemed - contract extended according to Premier League

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I concur with

That’s not what you said though is it? Irrespective of any long game tactics on our part he chose us.

The fact that most Prem clubs are lazy and look to acquire primarily by waving an open cheque book in the player’s [probably agent’s] general direction and our approach of not getting into bidding wars is IMO going to become more the norm going forward. And if it doesn’t then I stand by TB and the club in using this as our model

Maybe it’s too romantic a notion but I like to see our dealings being much more like the end of Jerry Maguire with a respectful relationship between club, agent and player and if any player doesn’t want to join us or gets his head turned by money instead then so be it. More fool them.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
If that's where we feel we should be then we need to be spending a new club record on a striker, and we have to get past losing out on targets because the likes of West Ham, Bournemouth and Newcastle come in for them. That's who we are saying we should be competing with, and that includes players. We can't say "we can't compete with them" in transfers and then set "competing with them" as the minimum for the manager.

This 100%. I suspect sacking CH was part of this decision, to make us a more attractive prospect for players in terms of playing style, however, as you say, no point bringing in a new manager if they don't have the cash to tailor the squad the way they want it. Trouble is, fans seem to equate this with splashing 30 million quid willy-nilly on players and then paying them obscene wages (reminiscent of the transfer strategy of a certain club up the road in Croydon), which isn't the case. Whilst my point about insane wages stands, I do think the ceiling has to be raised slightly if we want to compete. Whilst the moneyball strategy has yielded some diamonds, if we want to get anywhere in the mini-league that is 7th-20th in the PL, then we need to put our money where our mouth is. And that's not to say that TB hasn't delivered fantastic investment, because he has, but its probably better if we're signing players that GP has specifically picked out as his desired targets that are also interesting the likes of Bournemouth, WHU for, say, 5 million more and want 10k more in wages than another target who plays in a weaker foreign league and isn't as desired, but whom we know to be a bit cheaper. That doesn't mean going insane, it means taking a continually measured, but a fundamentally less subservient and more competitive approach in the transfer market. It's a matter of small margins. Paying that extra 3-5 million in transfer fees here and there, and offering that extra 5-10k in wages here and there, particularly if the player is one of our no.1 targets, could well be the difference between being forever in that 17th-15th battle or moving into that 10-15th battle and beyond, which I assume, judging by the decision to sack CH, it's something TB is very keen on.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Completely logical to add the extra year when entering into a window. Sure, you make the noises that "he has a chance", but that's just to protect the value you already have in the player and not portray him as COMPLETELY surplus to requirements. Pay 2 or 3 months of wages, sell for much more than that outlay.

No brainer.

Thanks again Tomer.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That’s not what you said though is it? Irrespective of any long game tactics on our part he chose us.

The fact that most Prem clubs are lazy and look to acquire primarily by waving an open cheque book in the player’s [probably agent’s] general direction and our approach of not getting into bidding wars is IMO going to become more the norm going forward. And if it doesn’t then I stand by TB and the club in using this as our model

Maybe it’s too romantic a notion but I like to see our dealings being much more like the end of Jerry Maguire with a respectful relationship between club, agent and player and if any player doesn’t want to join us or gets his head turned by money instead then so be it. More fool them.

I said "I might stand corrected". And we had been on his case for 3 years and Andone for a couple. It seems that we have to date them for quite a while before they accept our proposal.

I think you missed tmy point anyway. The style of football is the best advert for attracting the better players.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I said "I might stand corrected". And we had been on his case for 3 years and Andone for a couple. It seems that we have to date them for quite a while before they accept our proposal.

I think you missed tmy point anyway. The style of football is the best advert for attracting the better players.

That I can concur with. If you were a striker or flair player and were only aware of us from this season you’d think thanks but no thanks right?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Players at the end of a contract don't usual sign another deal so that their owning club can then punt them on. They prefer to be free agents so that the bulk of any transfer fee goes to them as a signing-on fee.

It would seem strange that Hemed wilfully re-signed to us so I can only guess we had an option on extending the deal that he had no say but to agree to.

(Someone has probably made this point already - I've not read the thread)

Yeah, seems a bit like the Vicente deal.

I’m sure Tomer isn’t particularly pleased we’ve taken up the option on his contract but at the end of the day it was written into a contract he willingly signed (no doubt with a payrise) so it’s difficult to feel sorry for him

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
A club like Leeds should have got Hemed on board last season. He was wasted at QPR playing under that plum McClaren. The Elland Road mob were crying out for a Tomas type front man. They created so many chances per game, eventually letting their league position slip to the delight of Norwich and Sheffield United.
And everybody else :thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What sort of fee are people expecting us to get for Tomer? He didn't do a great deal for QPR last season and there's no real threat of him being involved for us. I think anything north of £1million is outstanding business for us.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
What sort of fee are people expecting us to get for Tomer? He didn't do a great deal for QPR last season and there's no real threat of him being involved for us. I think anything north of £1million is outstanding business for us.

Think anywhere round that is good business.

Can’t see him making the 25 so assume looking for a sale or a loan with 100% of wages and a chunky loan fee.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
You really don't like him do you. :lolol:

I do actually.

The comment about not feeling sorry for him refers to EVERY footballer who signs a contract willingly for tens of thousands a week and then gets upset about the terms of it. It wasn’t specific to Tomer who is a hardworking footballer and seems to have a great attitude in general.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
When compared to the Leon Bests and Kemy Agustiens of this world, Tomer is worth about £10m.

There are more than one of them who (try to) play professional football? :eek::eek:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, Tony is serious about not returning to a league where he loses £30 million each season.

Good... as long as we are not pinning our goal scoring hopes on this dynamic quadruple threat next season:

1. Muzza - love him to bits, but knocking on and s/be benched IMHO...
2. Andone - hot-headed and too injured, but can be good...
3. Locadia - well, let's just say that he is Man U class in his own head, but struggling to achieve lower Prem level contributions... a lot to prove IMHO...
4. Tomer - wasn't bad in our early games in the Prem, but v unlikely to grab us the required 10 or so Prem goals IMHO...

So, it is cheque book out time for Tony IMHO... if he wants to avoid the financial losses almost guaranteed with relegation that you so rightly point out...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You are not paying attention. He may get a chance but this almost certainly a move to get money for him rather than him walk away on a free, well I bloody hope so anyway

I hear you, but fear we could get lumbered, even if GP wants him to exit... (I have been paying attention BTW)...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here