Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Coventry City forced to play 19/20 home games in Birmingham

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I know this may be a simplistic view...

Rugby club (Wasps) comes to town and takes over the football stadium.

Football club (CCFC) forced out after a number of years of sharing.

Birmingham step in and offer Cov a home.

Another issue to divide our country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48557082

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A 21 mile yomp for every home game then. Not quite as bad as Gillingham (or Northampton for that matter), but very sad nonetheless. That Ricoh Arena has been the ruin of CCFC. I always liked Highfield Road, didn't think they had an urgent need for a new stadium. Now look at the state of them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A 21 mile yomp for every home game then. Not quite as bad as Gillingham (or Northampton for that matter), but very sad nonetheless. That Ricoh Arena has been the ruin of CCFC. I always liked Highfield Road, didn't think they had an urgent need for a new stadium. Now look at the state of them.

True, but who could of foreseen this?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I know this may be a simplistic view...

Rugby club (Wasps) comes to town and takes over the football stadium.

Football club (CCFC) forced out after a number of years of sharing.

Birmingham step in and offer Cov a home.

Another issue to divide our country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48557082

This isn't really about Wasps, but about Coventry's owners SISU who are just complete ********s.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ricoh was owned by the council and they would let it out to CCFC. For some reason they became embroiled in handbags about the rent and were kicked out. Not sure if Wasps are the owners now, but it is probable, and once again it seems as though CCFC have picked themselves another argument with the landlords. No idea who is right or wrong, but somewhere along the line I can't help but feel the CCFC owners/board have put themselves, the club and the fans in this mess.

Edit: Ok just read the link and I wasn't too far off the mark, although why they are continuing to have this open spat with the council is beyond me, surely they could have bought the stadium themselves, missed out due to the ongoing rows pre 2014 and subsequent move to Northampton over owed rent? I'm sure Sisu aren't a small company? In step the Wasps and say 'we'll 'ave that'. Job done.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
In step the Wasps and say 'we'll 'ave that'. Job done.

for a bargain basement price, partner up for a few years then force them out and swap all the light blue seats for black and yellow ones (have they?)

I wonder how many Cov fans who also attend the odd rugger game would stop going to the latter out of principle. I mean do we still boycott the Goldstone Retail Park after we were shafted (albeit not by a rugby club)?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I always thought Wasps were a London rugby club. What are they doing in Coventry ?

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
"The EFL remains firmly of the view that its member clubs should play in the towns and cities from which they take their name'.

Bolton don't play in Bolton though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I always thought Wasps were a London rugby club. What are they doing in Coventry ?

They haven't played in London for almost 20 years (they were at Wycombe Wanderers' ground from 2002 until 2014), and finally dropped the 'London' part of the club name when they moved to Coventry.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
"The EFL remains firmly of the view that its member clubs should play in the towns and cities from which they take their name'.

Bolton don't play in Bolton though.

Grimsby have never played in Grimsby either

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've got a friend here who's a Coventry fan. He was worrying about this happening all season. It just sounds like a complete shit show between the landlord, the council and Sisu. I don't see how any of the parties win in this situation.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Easy trip for Cov fans straight along the A45.Regular stopping service on the train to Adderley Park and New Street.Superior facilities and pitch,welcome to Brum.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Easy trip for Cov fans straight along the A45.Regular stopping service on the train to Adderley Park and New Street.Superior facilities and pitch,welcome to Brum.

Yes but it's a journey they still shouldn't have to make. St.Andrews isn't their home, they are called Coventry City for a reason.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
for a bargain basement price, partner up for a few years then force them out and swap all the light blue seats for black and yellow ones (have they?)

And who's to say CCFC were not or could have been offered the same price but decided against it?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Yes but it's a journey they still shouldn't have to make. St.Andrews isn't their home, they are called Coventry City for a reason.

Highfield Road was their home,but it's long gone,and until they get an oil sheik of their own,they are stuck there.Ricoh was a crap place to get to for a lot of them,and at least Brum is in the same county,unlike Gillingham.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here